1Likes
  • 1 Post By Uniblurb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-02-2020, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

Steering Stabilizer Replace Kicking My A##

2000 4.7
I bought a Monroe replacement for the stock stabilizer. First problem. I cant get the stock bolt through the opening on the driver's side. The nut is welded to the axel so I cant use a smaller bolt.

I tried widening the sleeve on the Monroe stabilizer to fit the bolt.

Second problem. I damaged the threads on the bolt testing to see if the sleeve is wide enough.

Can anybody confirm the bolt that I need is a M12x175x80?

I dont think this Monroe "direct fit" (NOT) is going to work. I will have to eat it and get a MOPAR stock part. Any advice would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-02-2020, 09:04 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

I have a MOOG super trailboss that worked perfectly to replace stock damper, came from Kolak. Nothing wrong with going OEM, just pricey.

The axle side bolt per MOPAR is hex flange head M12x1.75x65, appears to be the same for tie rod mount side.

04 WJ NV242, IRO 3in, bilsteins, IRO adj UCAs/LCAs/A arm, 265/75/16 Laufenn Xfit, 4.56 gears
post #3 of 13 Old 06-02-2020, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

There appears to be different stabilizers from Moog for WJ's. One is (SSD107). Another is (ssd136), and then there is ssd56 and looks like the one I got from Monroe. The Monroe was $33 with shipping. I have priced the Mopar one at $50ish. Do you recall which one you bought? This last number in the bolt size "65" . Is that the length?

post #4 of 13 Old 06-02-2020, 10:56 PM
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

I wrote an entire step-by-step tutorial on this for the rough country stabilizer, but it still should answer your questions. Do a search.

The only change to the instructions itís to torque the clamp to 50 lbs and use a harden steel bolt.

It was a long time ago, but itís still here on the forum somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 Old 06-03-2020, 01:07 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons1 View Post
There appears to be different stabilizers from Moog for WJ's. One is (SSD107). Another is (ssd136), and then there is ssd56 and looks like the one I got from Monroe. The Monroe was $33 with shipping. I have priced the Mopar one at $50ish. Do you recall which one you bought? This last number in the bolt size "65" . Is that the length?
As coldspit said the OE bolt (Mopar 6502473) is hex flange head and size is M12x1.75x65. To decipher metric bolt sizing:

M12 = 12 millimeter diameter of bolt shank
1.75 = Pitch, number of mm between threads.
65 = Length in millimeters.

I'm not sure where you got that M12x1.75x80 size from your first post but it wouldn't matter if the bolt was 15mm longer but not necessary.

In looking up that Monroe stabilizer (SC2962) on Rockauto the specs show one end has a 12mm ID sleeve while the other end has a 10mm ID sleeve. The M12 mm bolt may be a tight fit but was it the 10mm ID sleeve you were trying to enlarge for the 12mm bolt? Maybe it should have been the other end or turned around?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=385&jsn=385

Like coldspit I installed the Moog SSD107 Super Trail Boss stabilizer on my 04. While the axle bracket end fit fine I had to use a bunch of washers on the bolt on the tie rod end to space it out from the tie rod so the rubber boot wouldn't rub on tight turns. I forget and may have had to get a little longer bolt. The boot still squeaks a little when backing up in a tight space like in front of my garage under a canopy.

The Mopar 52088251AC damper on Rockauto is $47 plus shipping and has the stud on the end rather than a bolt for the tie rod end. The Mood SSD107 is a little more at $54 plus shipping.

I don't buy anything from Rockauto w/o entering one of the first discount codes below in the "How did you hear about us?" box at checkout. 5% off isn't much but helps pay for shipping. Good luck.

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com
mudpack likes this.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 Old 06-03-2020, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

One side is the "piston" the other side is fixed. The 12mm side is the fixed side, it goes to the the 10 mm side is the piston, moveable side. However using it that way would be in reverse of how the MOPAR one is installed. The "stud" side on the Monroe is the larger 12mm hole. Do I install the MONROE backward, opposite of the MOPAR? The 12mm fits fine on the stud side, but it goes on the piston side. I cant believe that I could put the MONROE on backward and it will work.

I got the M12x1.75x80 from a MOPAR parts site. I want to verify that the threads are fine threads vs. coarse. Is that correct?
post #7 of 13 Old 06-03-2020, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

I just spoke to MONROE, It was too late yesterday to call and you are correct. The MONROE stabilizer is installed reverse of the MOPAR one. I feel really stupid. I didn't think to try the 12mm bolt on the opposite side since that side on the MOPAR unit has an unremovable stud, indicating to me at least. These are not reversible.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-03-2020, 09:02 AM
mudpack
2004 WJ 

The steering stabilizer will function just fine if installed backwards. It knows only that it's being extended and collapsed, it doesn't know which end is "moving" and which end is "not".

two 2004 WJ 4.7 Quadra-Drive Limiteds
one 2012 WK2 SRT8
post #9 of 13 Old 06-03-2020, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

Learn something new every day.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-03-2020, 12:58 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Uniblurb, there should be a small spacer that came off your original stabilizer, that you use to space the rod end out away from the tie rod. This would eliminate the need for all the washers

My RC steering stabilizer is backwards from the stock stabilizer as well.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #11 of 13 Old 06-03-2020, 07:13 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Glad you have it figured out blueseasons.

Bigrigr, on the OE stabilizer there's no removable spacer and it's part of the stud assembly which it uses instead of a bolt. Also this is where you'd place your open end wrench to hold the stud while you loosen the nut on the tie rod hole.

I still have my OE stabilizer, just looked at it again, and believe me there's no spacer which comes off or one listed in the parts list. That's why I had to use some washers to space the stabilizer boot further away from the tie rod.

Below is a photo of my old OE stabilizer showing the permanent stud attached to one end.
Attached Images

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

post #12 of 13 Old 06-03-2020, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

I can testify that there is nothing useable or removable on the stock stabilizer. I just took mine off. That stud is pressed in.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-03-2020, 11:31 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Hmmm, I think you may be right. My son just changed his the other day, and there was a spacer he reused, but turns out it wasnt the OEM stabilizer that he took off like I thought it was. Sorry. But at least one of the aftermarket stabilizers comes with a spacer, just dont know which one!

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in