Spartan VS Aussie Which is Quieter - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-25-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
99dubjay
1999 WJ 

Wj Spartan VS Aussie Which is Quieter

I have searched low and high, but have yet to find an exact head to head shootout of Aussie and Spartan in a Dana 44a <Dana 44HD>
The Aussie XD-14450 $325 shipped to my door 2 year warranty.
The Spartan SLD-44HD $305 shipped to my door 1 year warranty.
For the life of me I can't decide!
The Spartan looks easier to install, includes hardened cross pin, $20 less.
The Aussie has a longer warranty, and more reputation points.
I think it's going to come down to which is quieter and or smoother.
I'm hoping some of you have been to Jeep events and have heard both in action.
Which is quieter? Which is smoother?
Any other input?
Signed, Newbie that hates open differentials, but can't afford ARB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-25-2015, 10:25 PM
1999wjlimited

1999 WJ 

Have you looked into a lokka locker? I think I read they are owned by the same parent company as aussie and if I recall correctly they only run around $250 shipped. And they offer a 3 year warranty.
Bigrigr likes this.

1999 WJ Limited 4.7 4x4 - 15x8 pro comp soft 8's - 2.5" bb- 31x10.50x15 General grabber at2
post #3 of 26 Old 04-26-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
99dubjay
1999 WJ 

I'll check into Lokka as well, thanks for the suggestion.
I also noticed Spartan is offering a $30 mail in rebate on their drop in lockers, Making them $50 less.
I'd still pay the extra $50 if the Aussie is quieter though? <or the Lokka>
Still hoping someone has heard these lockers in person and can tell me which is quieter.

post #4 of 26 Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 PM
JRT403

2000 WJ 

I have the spartan, and the only time i really hear it is in parking lots, low speed while turning. Makes a sort of ratcheting sound, nothing harsh. I had a powertrax lunchbox locker in a D35 in the past and it was terrible--random loud popping and snapping through turns, I always felt like I was on the verge of breaking something. For the most part I forget that the spartan is back there, but it is audible enough in a parking lot that someone new riding in the jeep might ask me "what's that noise?"

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jrt403s-wj-build-thread-1242747/
post #5 of 26 Old 06-25-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
99dubjay
1999 WJ 

UPDATE:
My front D/S was moaning so I did the 242 swap sooner than expected, and had an Eaton True-Trac put in front while I was at it. $1500 later I have selec-trac and a quiet Limited slip in front.
It works so well I almost don't need a locker now, but there are certain instances when i'd rather not have to modulate the brakes to get out of a jam.
I don't want to mess with the rear at least until it's time for a fluid change.
I'm still hoping to hear a lunchbox in person to make a decision though.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-26-2015, 02:03 AM
Notabene
2004 WJ 

For what it is worth...

My Spartan **** itself at the 13 month point.

Missed out on the warranty by 1 month

If I had of went with the Aussie I would...

A/ Maybe not have recieved a faulty one,

or

B/ Received a new one under warranty.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-26-2015, 10:33 AM
gcjeeping

2001 WJ 

I've had the same two Aussie lockers front and rear in my 01 WJ since 2005 without problems. Never hear the front and the rear only when turning hard some times. You get used to it and never hear it when the windows are up and radio on. And my WJ gets used.
Attached Thumbnails
file8.jpg  
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-26-2015, 09:03 PM
Planetcat
2010 WK 

I had a spartan in the front of my xj and it was easy and straightforward to install, and worked fantastic. Only clicked/ratcheted on dry pavement in tight turns. The thing to know is that after you're done installing it, when you drive it the first few feet, it will make a loud scary pop. This is normal, and I believe same with the Aussie lokka too. Enjoy.

2010 WK Laredo 5.7L, 2004 WJ 4.7L (totaled), 1959 CJ-5, 1996 XJ (sold), 1989 YJ Wrangler 4.2L (Sold)
post #9 of 26 Old 07-02-2015, 11:02 AM
aussielocker
Vendor
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999wjlimited View Post
Have you looked into a lokka locker? I think I read they are owned by the same parent company as aussie and if I recall correctly they only run around $250 shipped. And they offer a 3 year warranty.
Hi Folks, Cora from Aussie Locker here. There's a lot of misinformation on the internet about Aussie Locker and Lokka. These two companies are completely separate entities and have no affiliation.

Aussie Lockers are the only auto-locker made completely in the USA using USA certified 9310 hardened alloy steel.

Design - In 2012 when we moved manufacturing to the USA our Engineers redesigned the entire Aussie Locker line after almost 10 years of customer and tech feedback. Significant changes were made to the cam gear design for increased cross pin reliability, the tooth design to quiet the ratcheting and overall locker dimensions for better fitment in OE carriers. Since the redesign our warranty claims have fallen to a handfull a year.

Warranty - a warranty is only as good as the company that will honor it. If you compare other auto-locker companies, they have 1 or 3 year warranties with some or all of the following restrictions: tire size, horsepower limitations, lock-out hubs requirements and restrictions on fuel injected vehicles. The fine print is very important to read - not just the year term. The Aussie Locker warranty lists none of these limitations and has a reputation in the community for honoring their warranty.

Rear Locker Ratchet Noise - this is always a highly subjective conversation that relies on personal opinion as well as vehicle variations. We can install an Aussie into 2 identical vehicles and one could be louder than the other, and have no explanation as to why. We can offer up a couple tips to reduce the ratchet sound - thick cheap conventional gear oil, keeping your tire pressures even, and keeping an eye on wheel bearings and u-joints.

Let me know if I can help with any other questions!

The Origional Aussie Locker, now made 100% in the USA with the best materials in the industry!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Office: 585-723- 1489
post #10 of 26 Old 07-02-2015, 12:08 PM
WJChris

2013 JK Wrangler 

Thank you Cora.

I too experienced the same and want to add my two cents. I have heard some were loud, and some were quiet. I believe the locker is not what determines how loud the ratcheting sound is, but the other variables that Cora mentioned.

I would go Aussie for the reputation and popularity alone, my experience was always positive.
post #11 of 26 Old 07-02-2015, 02:34 PM
AsianWithJeep
2000 WJ 

I am wondering the same as the OP. I'm in the market for a kne as well in my D44 for the rear of my 4.7. Will definitely be following this thread!
post #12 of 26 Old 07-03-2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
99dubjay
1999 WJ 

It's great to hear from a company representative to clear up the confusion.
In theory if they're willing to hop into a thread, they'll also be there in case of warranty issues.
Thick cheap gear oil is a good thing to know.
Made in USA is important to me as well. <I'm an old fashioned patriotic ARMY veteran>
One thing that worries me is because the design has been updated,
I don't want to buy from a retailer that has an old style on the shelf.
I went browsing online and the cheapest one I could find was-- kNOw Where2jeep
It's $313.14 shipped to my door.
I've been waiting for the Aussie to go on sale, but it never goes below $300.00.
I don't want to buy used, cause I want the warranty coverage in case I need it.
Any chance of a group buy or 4th of July discount from the MFR? Cora?
Just for verification it's the Aussie XD-14450 --?
Is that correct for the rear of my 99 Grand Cherokee V-8 without Quadra-drive?
DC build sheet says it's a Dana 44a with 3.73 gearing.
I think because of everyone's responses, based on their personal experiences, I will choose the Aussie.
It should work fine for me with 31" tires, only 20% use off-road, and my strategic throttle usage.
Thank you EVERYONE for the input, I appreciate it.
post #13 of 26 Old 07-03-2015, 10:30 PM
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dubjay View Post
It's great to hear from a company representative to clear up the confusion.
In theory if they're willing to hop into a thread, they'll also be there in case of warranty issues.
Thick cheap gear oil is a good thing to know.
Made in USA is important to me as well. <I'm an old fashioned patriotic ARMY veteran>
One thing that worries me is because the design has been updated,
I don't want to buy from a retailer that has an old style on the shelf.
I went browsing online and the cheapest one I could find was-- kNOw Where2jeep
It's $313.14 shipped to my door.
I've been waiting for the Aussie to go on sale, but it never goes below $300.00.
I don't want to buy used, cause I want the warranty coverage in case I need it.
Any chance of a group buy or 4th of July discount from the MFR? Cora?
Just for verification it's the Aussie XD-14450 --?
Is that correct for the rear of my 99 Grand Cherokee V-8 without Quadra-drive?
DC build sheet says it's a Dana 44a with 3.73 gearing.
I think because of everyone's responses, based on their personal experiences, I will choose the Aussie.
It should work fine for me with 31" tires, only 20% use off-road, and my strategic throttle usage.
Thank you EVERYONE for the input, I appreciate it.
You'll need the carrier and axle shafts from a non quadra-drive axle to use a locker.

Sent from my phone

~Aaron

post #14 of 26 Old 07-04-2015, 06:33 AM
marcall
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussielocker View Post
Hi Folks, Cora from Aussie Locker here. There's a lot of misinformation on the internet about Aussie Locker and Lokka. These two companies are completely separate entities and have no affiliation.

Aussie Lockers are the only auto-locker made completely in the USA using USA certified 9310 hardened alloy steel.

Design - In 2012 when we moved manufacturing to the USA our Engineers redesigned the entire Aussie Locker line after almost 10 years of customer and tech feedback. Significant changes were made to the cam gear design for increased cross pin reliability, the tooth design to quiet the ratcheting and overall locker dimensions for better fitment in OE carriers. Since the redesign our warranty claims have fallen to a handfull a year.

Warranty - a warranty is only as good as the company that will honor it. If you compare other auto-locker companies, they have 1 or 3 year warranties with some or all of the following restrictions: tire size, horsepower limitations, lock-out hubs requirements and restrictions on fuel injected vehicles. The fine print is very important to read - not just the year term. The Aussie Locker warranty lists none of these limitations and has a reputation in the community for honoring their warranty.

Rear Locker Ratchet Noise - this is always a highly subjective conversation that relies on personal opinion as well as vehicle variations. We can install an Aussie into 2 identical vehicles and one could be louder than the other, and have no explanation as to why. We can offer up a couple tips to reduce the ratchet sound - thick cheap conventional gear oil, keeping your tire pressures even, and keeping an eye on wheel bearings and u-joints.

Let me know if I can help with any other questions!

I would like to mention that in my experience Aussie is a top notch company. I originally installed an Aussie in my D35 back in 2012 and used the recomended 75-140 oil, I ran it for about a year and I got tired of the ratcheting noise (only on pavement turns , mainly tighter maneuvers) but I wanted it quiet like when I bought it so I took it out in early 2014.
Long story short is that I soon realised how much I missed the traction and how much of a differnce it made to the Jeep. The final factor was on a trip to Colorado , I got stuck and needed a winch out which I got from a passing TJ.
So when I got back in September of 2014 I reinstalled the Aussie, this time with conventional 85-140 oil and it was quieter but still made some ratcheting (again only on pavement turns and mainly tighter turns) but I got used to it and some of that was the fact I now had mud tires before the install so the quietness of a stock WJ had already went out the door. I wouldn't have it any other way now and in fact I almost kinda like the ratchet noise (on occasion)/
As for the Aussie company I see you are the new owner so this part goes back to the previous owner Bill Cole. when I initially installed my Aussie it was on a Saturday afternoon in AZ. I had a question on my tolerances so I emailed Aussie at about 5pm AZ time. Aussie (at least at that time) was in NY...Eastern time so it it was about 8 pm over there. To my surprise I got an email back in about an hour, detailed and explaining it wouldn't be a problem (which eased my mind). The email was from the owner himself, Bill Cole. It looks like you are following the good customer service too by having a presence here, so that is appreciated. Good customer service is always what sets a company apart
post #15 of 26 Old 07-04-2015, 10:04 AM
aussielocker
Vendor
1980 CJ7 

Thanks for the positive reviews! As the new owner of Aussie it's very important to me to continue the personal level customer service Bill had made the company known for. Bill and I have known each other for almost 10 years. I ran Aussie's in my comp rig as an Aussie Locker sponsored driver in he Rausch Creek RCrocks Series. My husband and I have been running Aussie's in our CJ's for more than 10 years now, have been building jeeps as a couple for just as long. As a consumer, I trusted Aussie's through the most brutal conditions so when the opportunity presented to take over the company my only question was where do I sign. Also, as a consumer, I know what's its like to need customer support, especially on nights and weekends, so I want to be there for our customers when they need us. Our phones are answered 24/7, and if you don't talk to me directly, you will be getting a call back from me or one of my engineers asap.

For 99dubjay's questions:
Old Stock - we converted to USA made Aussie Lockers in 2012, there is no old stock out there, any of our stocking dealers only keep a dozen or so on the shelf.
Pricing - we have MAP pricing, or Minimum Advertised Pricing for our dealers. This keeps the playing field level and keeps their margins steady. You may be able to save a few bucks on shipping, if someone offers free shipping, or on a combo deal with gears.
XD-14450 - yes this is for the Dana 44a, check to see which option transfer case you have (there were 4) an if you have a limited slip (there were 2). You may need an open carrier, thrust washers, cross pin and roll pin. Eric, the owner of KnowWhere2Jeep is an expert in WJ Dana 44a's and can sell you any additional parts needed, as well as an Aussie.
31" Tires - are totally fine, there are no tire size or horsepower limitations in our warranty (most, if not all of our competitors do list these limitations), I ran 36" stickies and never touched my Aussie, even after 3 axle shaft breaks.

Aussie Locker is still based in Rochester NY, we have same day shipping factory direct.

Thanks again!
Cora

The Origional Aussie Locker, now made 100% in the USA with the best materials in the industry!

Office: 585-723- 1489

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in