Spare Tire Carrier Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Krakken
2002 WJ 

Spare Tire Carrier Build

SO I needed a place to carry a 32" tire. Didn't wanna spend an arm and a leg. Bought a 750lb folding hitch basket from Harbor Freight, 25% coupon made it $80 w tax. Used the folding mechanism and the main 2" tube and built off that. Attached a 5x5 wheel spacer I had lyin around to mount the wheel. Seems damn solid and doesn't wobble at all.

Out of the box it wobbles like hell. Trick is to weld a couple of beads across 2 sides of the hitch where it slides into the receiver, and drill a new 5/8 hole to allow it to sit as deep in the receiver as possible. Grind the beads down until it slides in w no slop. Then use a 5/8 bolt instead of a hitch pin and crank it down tight.

The photos explain the rest. I'm tired of typing.

Attached Images

2002 Overland
Previously: 3 XJs & 2 Diesel KJs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Krakken
2002 WJ 

mo pics
Attached Images

2002 Overland
post #3 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Krakken
2002 WJ 

ziptied the plate
Attached Images

2002 Overland

post #4 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 08:29 AM
smokeyyank

Nice, I had thought about doing something similar in the interim until I can fab a rear bumper. Not sure about Washington but in CO they'll pull you over if you License plate is not illuminated at night.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #5 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 09:27 AM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

I like it, well done. If required by state law, you could fab up a tag bracket fairly easily.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Krakken
2002 WJ 

True enough, I am supposed to have a license plate light. Will they muck with me over it ...probably not. If so, I will find a way to weasel out of it and then take appropriate measures. Not really interested in following the letter of the law, just because it’s a law. There are far too many of them anyway
97Mule and DJCantonGA like this.

2002 Overland
post #7 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 10:32 AM
DJTimyD
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Nice, I had thought about doing something similar in the interim until I can fab a rear bumper. Not sure about Washington but in CO they'll pull you over if you License plate is not illuminated at night.
Here is what I used to "solve" that light problem:
https://www.safetysign.com/products/...light?s=sk1s41
Krakken likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 12:00 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakken View Post
True enough, I am supposed to have a license plate light. Will they muck with me over it ...probably not. If so, I will find a way to weasel out of it and then take appropriate measures. Not really interested in following the letter of the law, just because itís a law. There are far too many of them anyway
Don't think about it terms of "not a big deal". Think about it in terms of getting pulled over, late at night, on your way home from a party, bar, etc., just because a light is out/missing. Then you hear "Sir, have you been drinking tonight?" "Please turn off the engine and step out of the vehicle".

Like I said before, don't give them an obvious reason to pull you over. Like the song says, "One thing leads to another"...
post #9 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 07:12 PM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
Don't think about it terms of "not a big deal". Think about it in terms of getting pulled over, late at night, on your way home from a party, bar, etc., just because a light is out/missing. Then you hear "Sir, have you been drinking tonight?" "Please turn off the engine and step out of the vehicle".

Like I said before, don't give them an obvious reason to pull you over. Like the song says, "One thing leads to another"...

That was my thought. In my area, and probably the majority, crap like that gives them cause to pull you over. I've watched enough Live PD to know

Now you have me wanting to get the welder out and make my own. That really is a nice job.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Krakken
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post

Well said, and a very good point indeed. Where I live the cops are financially incentivized to prey on the motoring public. Pull you over so they can suck your wallet. You're right...I should rework the plate.

2002 Overland
post #11 of 11 Old 07-23-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Krakken
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCantonGA View Post
That was my thought. In my area, and probably the majority, crap like that gives them cause to pull you over. I've watched enough Live PD to know

Now you have me wanting to get the welder out and make my own. That really is a nice job.
thanks. It turned out pretty well. Had it on some washboard today
and it was solid as can be.

2002 Overland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in