So what axle have I actually got? - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-02-2020, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Reiver635

2004 WJ 

Garage
Wj So what axle have I actually got?

I'm planning to do the pinion seal on the rear diff of my 2004 WG 2.7CRD Overland. (Yes, it's the Euro/ROTW model but engine & autobox aside it's the same as any other WJ.)

According to WJJeeps I have a Dana 30 up front and a 44 in the rear. I thought I'd be ok to jack under the diff and put jack stands under the sill mounting points before lowering the axle to gain access to the diff plate.

However, WJJeeps & some posts say I shouldn't jack under the diff of a 44c as it's aluminium and will crack or bend. There is no tag or other identification on my diff so I don't know if it's a 44 or a 44c. There's no drain point on the side (which one guy with a 44 appeared to have),

Is there any other way to tell what diff I have and whether I can jack under it ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-02-2020, 05:08 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

You can email FCA for a build sheet by using your vin. OR look at the cover. If it's an almost perfect oval/circle, you have a 35. A rounded hexagon - 44A. Those are your two options fro WJ from the factory - though someone before you may have swapped it.

https://www.offroadxtreme.com/news/d...he-difference/

If you have the 35, jack away. If not, I wouldn't recommend it. You can get a beam adapter for a floor jack pretty cheaply, I have the HF one so you can jack on the control arm mounts (or very near them)

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-02-2020, 06:09 PM
helijeeper

Does a magnet stick to it? Good way to tell if it's steel or not.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
99SK04GTX likes this.

"Fly Low, Take Chances"

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L Select Trac

post #4 of 16 Old 08-03-2020, 12:02 AM
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Have a quick look at these diff covers - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ial+cover,2306 . If you look at the Mopar ones you'll see that the cover for the 44 has two virtually parallel straight sides, while the 35 is rounder.

My 4.7 Overland has been jacked plenty of times on the 44 diff without problems. Yep it's a pain but there are no drain plugs, so you have to remove the cover to change oil - having said that you have to remove any crud at the bottom of the diff so the cover needs to come off - just be easier if you could get most of the oil out first.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-03-2020, 06:06 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I jack on the center diff housing all the time with 44A diffs without any problem. I think this is more internet BS

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #6 of 16 Old 08-03-2020, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Reiver635

2004 WJ 

Garage
Wj

Well looking at this:-

I've got the Dana 44. I don't know where the 'c' comes into it. Good idea about the magnet - I've a feeling the magnet in my flashlight doesn't stick to the axle tubes which of course are the weakest link.

I've got a hand-held pump designed to get fluid in & out of differentials etc so that should cut down on the mess when I take the cover off.

Funnily enough, I was looking at a beam lift - now I have justification
post #7 of 16 Old 08-03-2020, 01:21 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The ZJ's (93-98 GC) had a C-clip on the end of each rear axle shaft and had to be removed with the differential cover off in order to pull the axles. Luckily the 35 and 44a rear axles on a WJ don't have this clip and axle shafts can be pulled w/o removing any clip or removing the differential cover. Have no idea why that "C" would carry over and many often refer to the 44 on a WJ as the 44a for aluminum.

The axle shaft tubes on your 44a are steel and the pumpkin or housing along with the ends the wheel bearings fit in are aluminum.

I also have a suction gun which can be used for pulling the fluid out of the differential along with filling it if you want. But if you haven't had the differential cover off it's not a bad idea to remove it so you can flush the bottom of the differential out with brake cleaner and use a rag to remove any fine metal.

While I learned to not even use a gasket on the front/rear differential covers since it was just a second surface for leaks. I always used a good gasket maker like Permatex Ultra Black.

But it was getting old cleaning all that gasket maker off of the cover and mating surface. Not sure about the availability or price of the "Lubelocker LLR-D44HD Gasket" but that's all I use now on my 44a axle and it's reusable. I don't have to use sealers or gasket makers to clean off and have no leaks.

1st Edit/correction: that's the regular D44 axle on Reiver635's 04 WG rather than the 44a axle mentioned above.
2nd Edit: I would have thought if somebody started a thread titled, "So what axle have I actually got?", and then posted a photo you'd assume it's their axle. Incorrect and that's an internet photo so can't say which axle it is. The original poster will have to let us know which axle he has by looking at the photos/differential covers members posted then comparing them to his.

Below is a photo of this gasket and good luck.
Attached Images

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 Old 08-03-2020, 01:59 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver635 View Post
Well looking at this:-

I've got the Dana 44. I don't know where the 'c' comes into it. Good idea about the magnet - I've a feeling the magnet in my flashlight doesn't stick to the axle tubes which of course are the weakest link.

I've got a hand-held pump designed to get fluid in & out of differentials etc so that should cut down on the mess when I take the cover off.

Funnily enough, I was looking at a beam lift - now I have justification
That picture is of a regular D44, not the D44A found on WJ's. The D44A has flat spots on the top and bottom of the cover like Uniblurb's gasket picture shows.
Wheelin98TJ and Uniblurb like this.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-03-2020, 02:54 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a 44a diff cover:

Name:  D44a diff cover.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  54.6 KB
Uniblurb and Oktavius like this.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-03-2020, 08:45 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
That picture is of a regular D44, not the D44A found on WJ's. The D44A has flat spots on the top and bottom of the cover like Uniblurb's gasket picture shows.
Thanks for the correction Oktavius that's a regular D44 axle. I shouldn't have assumed a "2004 WG 2.7CRD Overland. (Yes, it's the Euro/ROTW model)" would have the same 44a axle as my US 04 4.7 WJ.

Believe it would be the LLR-D044 LubeLocker gasket which would fit the regular D44.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...kaAu-UEALw_wcB

post #11 of 16 Old 08-03-2020, 08:52 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Thanks for the correction Oktavius that's a regular D44 axle. I shouldn't have assumed a "2004 WG 2.7CRD Overland. (Yes, it's the Euro/ROTW model)" would have the same 44a axle as my US 04 4.7 WJ.

Believe it would be the LLR-D044 LubeLocker gasket which would fit the regular D44.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...kaAu-UEALw_wcB
That pic isn't his though. Just one from the internet of a regular D44. My guess the axles choices were the same as the US variants.

post #12 of 16 Old 08-03-2020, 09:02 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
That pic isn't his though. Just one from the internet of a regular D44. My guess the axles choices were the same as the US variants.

Another assumption and guess when I saw him write, "Well looking at this:-", with the axle photo I thought it was his.

post #13 of 16 Old 08-04-2020, 09:51 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Another assumption and guess when I saw him write, "Well looking at this:-", with the axle photo I thought it was his.
Too clean, it's not a Jeep.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-05-2020, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Reiver635

2004 WJ 

Garage
Wj

Apologies - yes I followd coldspit47's link to the diff types and used the photo of the 44 I found there.

So I had another look at my diff. This is all you can see:

So I hit on the bright idea of jacking on the towball (with axle stands under the rock sliders). Much better.

Using helijeeper's smart idea I tried a magnet on various parts.

It stuck to the diff cover and axle tubes but not to the actual diff itself. Thus, I must have a 44a?

I also noticed that there isn't a threaded fill plug, just a rubber cap. Is the fill plug behind this? I didn't want to pull it off to find I've got oil all over the driveway
This jack height might just work for me. There's room to work, I can get the diff cover off & with the wheels still on the ground I should be able to get the pinion nut undone (been waiting while my mate sources a steel plate to hold the yoke as per YouTube videos).
post #15 of 16 Old 08-05-2020, 12:43 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver635 View Post
Thus, I must have a 44a?

I also noticed that there isn't a threaded fill plug, just a rubber cap. Is the fill plug behind this?
Yes, that is the D44A. The fill plug is just a rubber plug that you pull out and there is nothing behind it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in