3Likes
  • 1 Post By ChrisHager
  • 1 Post By mustang67ford
  • 1 Post By Mattyjm

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
mustang67ford

Shutting off momentairly while driving

I have been having an issue with my 99 with 4.0 motor. Every once in a while when just driving along, i would get this wierd surge feeling and sometimes a slight clunk. Every time, j would try to look at my gauges but nothing. At 1 point i thought i seen my mph drop down then up quickly, but not sure now. Tonight, my rpms actually went to zero for a couple seconds then went back up, mph slowly strted to go down but i also had let off the gas. I am now thinking my motor is shutting off briefly while driving. This is the first time the rps dropped to zero for a few seconds. It is definitelly an intermittent problem. Anybody else experience this or know what to look for? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 06:42 PM
camman825

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang67ford View Post
I have been having an issue with my 99 with 4.0 motor. Every once in a while when just driving along, i would get this wierd surge feeling and sometimes a slight clunk. Every time, j would try to look at my gauges but nothing. At 1 point i thought i seen my mph drop down then up quickly, but not sure now. Tonight, my rpms actually went to zero for a couple seconds then went back up, mph slowly strted to go down but i also had let off the gas. I am now thinking my motor is shutting off briefly while driving. This is the first time the rps dropped to zero for a few seconds. It is definitelly an intermittent problem. Anybody else experience this or know what to look for? Thanks.

I had an issue like this with my 04 WJ 4.0L. It did the same exact thing as your Jeep. The issue for me was my Crankshaft Position Sensor. I had ordered an aftermarket one and it stopped working a month later, ordered a Mopar one and it has been working ever since (over half a year now). Hopefully this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
mustang67ford

Thank you for the info. I also learned to always go mopar for sensors. Is there a good place to order the sensor or can i get it from the dealer?

post #4 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 09:27 PM
camman825

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Thank you for the info. I also learned to always go mopar for sensors. Is there a good place to order the sensor or can i get it from the dealer?

Canít really remember where I got my Mopar one from, but as long as itís a Mopar Sensor, you should be fine. Any website that sells them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Send a pm to @Kolak . He had them at a great price four years ago when I needed one. I still have that one in my 2000 WJ and it still runs excellently. Fast shipping, too.

On a different note, I had a crank sensor fail in my 2002 WJ, 4.0L i6. I needed one ASAP, so I got a BWD crank sensor from AdvanceAuto, which is recommended OEM by Jeep. That was back in September of last year and it's still going strong.

I believe all Mopar sensors are better for our Jeeps. I'm just telling you what I've put in mine, and how they've worked out.

2002 Laredo. Baloo.
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....

Last edited by Mattyjm; 06-13-2019 at 10:31 PM. Reason: to add info
post #6 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
mustang67ford

Thanks. Is there anything else it could be or is this the most likely culprit?
post #7 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. Is there anything else it could be or is this the most likely culprit?
If I were in your position, this is where I'd start. CKS failures are often elusive and tricky to diagnose. Sometimes, they'll set a code, most likely P0320, but not all the time.

2002 Laredo. Baloo.
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #8 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 09:34 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
I'll just leave this here: 2004 4.0 Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement
Mattyjm likes this.

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
mustang67ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
If I were in your position, this is where I'd start. CKS failures are often elusive and tricky to diagnose. Sometimes, they'll set a code, most likely P0320, but not all the time.
Did the key flip to check codes. Do have a P0320 error. Got an oem crankshaft sensor from the dealer. They looked it up by my vin. It is part #4897321ab. It is a 1 bolt sensor in the package. Mechanic will put in on Monday. Thanks for the help.
Mattyjm likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 08:28 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
ChrisHager's write up is a phenomenal help for us DIYers. I truly think this will solve your issue and I hope it doesn't cost you too much. Thank you for doing the key dance and the fact that it's setting a P0320 code is really helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Happy Father's Day, even if you aren't one, but if you are, you'll be relieved to know your beloved WJ is close to returning to full health.
ChrisHager likes this.

2002 Laredo. Baloo.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-09-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
mustang67ford

Got the sensor replaced and have not had any further issue. However, it appears the mounting hole for the sensor is stripped because after a day i took it back to the mechanic for a noise. The bolt came loose and sensor was touching the flywheel. He put in a larger sized bolt which tightened it up and will add some permatex around the opening as a precaution. Guess the only real fix is to replace the bellhousing. Might try to get a bellhousing from the junkyard to have incase there is an opportunity to change it.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-10-2019, 11:50 AM
Barber613

The bell housing is the transmission case. I don’t think you are going to pick up a bell housing at the junkyard. If the hole is stripped, your mechanic probably stripped it
post #13 of 15 Old 07-12-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
mustang67ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber613 View Post
The bell housing is the transmission case. I donít think you are going to pick up a bell housing at the junkyard. If the hole is stripped, your mechanic probably stripped it
Didnt know there wasn't a separate bellhousing. What is the fix then that people do, just a different bolt size?
post #14 of 15 Old 07-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Barber613

I would take it back to the mechanic that is more then likely responsible for the stripped hole. You will need to put new threads in it and if I recall correctly, there is not a lot of room to work
post #15 of 15 Old 07-13-2019, 04:40 PM
DEzzell1

Garage
Quote:
Didnt know there wasn't a separate bellhousing. What is the fix then that people do, just a different bolt size?
Mine was stripped when I replaced my CKPS, I went to Auto Zone and bought a helicoil kit for the OEM bolt. Drilled out the remaining threads retaped and threw the helicoil in and haven't had any problems since. Also I bought my CKPS off amazon using the OEM part number, my sensor was made in Mexico where others that bought theirs from the dealership or other places claiming OEM were made in China, not sure it made a difference but mine has been in about 3 months now without issue. I will eventually have to replace the OEM connector, but I'll replace it with quick connects eventually.

WJ parts for sale -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in