Should I remove my carpet? (all of it, 1999 Limited) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-07-2021, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

Should I remove my carpet? (all of it, 1999 Limited)

I removed my console to see if something in my shifter was causing my ignition key to get stuck (it happened once), that was easy.

I took out my rear seat bottoms to do a QD hinge pin mod, that was easy and revealed a big seam in the carpet.

The rear seat backs look easy to remove.

The front seats are power but not air bag.

I have been planning to do a full interior detail, phone mount, stereo upgrade and maybe DIY leather restoration.

Beside disconnecting the battery when I have to mess around with the airbag module, are there any other tricky things to get the carpet out, deep clean it and put it back in?

This seems like the time to do it and if I'm left with a 98% restored interior (it has some door panel scratches) and I have upgraded with a lot of modern conveniences, that would be great and I think it will actually add value equal or greater than my cost.

Please let me know if there are any roadblocks I'm not seeing yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-07-2021, 12:04 PM
jw11432
2004 WJ 

My initial thought is there couldn't possibly be any tricks to removing carpet, assuming seats and consoles, etc. are out of the way. But after some of the shenanigans that are evident by Chrysler engineers, it was worth looking at lol Here's what I found:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/...carpet-594882/

2004 GC Limited 4.7
post #3 of 19 Old 06-07-2021, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

Thanks, it sounds pretty straightforward.

I'm mostly worried about removing the shifter, airbag module and any weirdness under the dash. I haven't really worked on a cable shifter yet so I don't want to lose adjustment or something.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-07-2021, 01:55 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
air bag in general you disconnect the battery and must wait a period of time it will state in the PDF or manual on the time for the SRS to de-arm. Its plug and play. But it is somewhat like a bomb as well. takes very little voltage to set it off. like a 9 volt battery that you can lick will do it. So static discharge can too.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-07-2021, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

Thanks for the reminder, I'll make sure I touch a chassis ground often to dissipate any accumulated charge.

Haynes says wait two minutes after disconnecting the battery, I think I'm going to wait for my factory service manual set to arrive (hopefully Wednesday if tracking is right). A Haynes manual is probably the biggest waste of money I have made on this car, I know they are bad but when I've got nothing, the temptation is too strong. There is a reason why they are shrink wrapped at the store, if you could flip through it, you would never buy it.

Of course I have a little hesitance to mess around with those firecrackers but it's kind of binary, it is obvious when you screw up. A shifter cable can probably look fine and be completely out of adjustment which is why I'm more worried about that. I know what not to do for airbags but not for shifter cables and then there is the unknown unknown.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-07-2021, 06:52 PM
95-ZJ

1930 CJ2 

Removing your vehicles carpet is a personal choice. Its there for more than looks?

Suggestions:

- Take pics of EACH process and of any area your unsure of. Assembly is reverse of removal
- Get a METAL MAGNETIC DISH and put ALL metal screws in bowl and count all parts at the end so you dont lose any
- Make notes as well to refer to when reassembling

1. Used to hide interior wire harnesses and individual wires and connectors
2. Cover the sound deadening material that is ugly and holds dirt and moisture
3. Aesthetically pleasing and provides a barrier to allow small amounts of moisture to rot out floorboard
4. Easier to vacuum than a bare metal floorboard and if a dark color, a stain hider
5. Adds insulation from the ground and metal and helps keep in heat in the winter and hold the cool in the summer months.

Changing your carpet is a choice that is individual based on severity of stains, smells and wear and tear.

Only you can be the final judge

Last edited by 95-ZJ; 06-07-2021 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added info
post #7 of 19 Old 06-07-2021, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

I'm not going to leave it out, I just want to clean it, remove anything that got under it or soaked through it, then put it back in.

It seems like not too much more work and I want to get the seats out for leather restoration any way.

I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot somehow.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-08-2021, 08:53 AM
95-ZJ

1930 CJ2 

Dust Devil

It wasnt clear if you were pulling old carpet to install new because you didnt provide that info in your explanation of your DIY project and of course its 22 years old, and no pics to show what you are dealing with.

Previosly, I went thru all basic scenarios you might need to do or may encounter. If you dont have a FSM and dont know where fasteners or wiring go or at which areas they are located then a FSM will help give you an Xray view of where fasteners and wiring are located before removal.

If you dont have a FSM, follow the outline above, pics, notes, container for fasteners, etc.

I thought you may be spraying the floor with a RAPTOR coating, possibly, which can be a good idea for sound deadening but floor must be absolutely clean and properly prepped with lots of clean ragsnand wax, grease remover as pre-prep for paint along with the traditional scufffing for adhesion and proper bond.

Well, Dust Devil, finally, just a bit of advice...

Dont make the project more than it is AND dont let FEAR stop you from proceeding and getting what you need to do, DONE. (Dont...ask me how I know, lol)

Many times in life we let FEAR (false evidence appearing real) stop us before we start.

Instead, take the info you have now and the life experience of other successful projects and move forward with the common sense of past successful outcomes of other projects you were apprehensive about DIY and which got done as a catalyst to "get er done"

I hope Ive been of some help here. If so, give me an "atta boy". Good luck with your project.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 19 Old 06-08-2021, 09:07 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

The carpet needs to be really bad before I remove it to clean and if it's that bad I'd be considering replacing it and ive got 5+ years detailing experience from tiny little cars to 16 passenger vans used by tree planters to expensive cars. The front seats need to come out to clean under them there's just no way to do it otherwise.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-08-2021, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

I probably should have been more clear but in my first post I typed "get the carpet out, deep clean it and put it back in".

It's kind of in the middle of the post...

I might do raptor liner eventually but it will be on the exterior. Eventually I would like to copy most of what Spiral Designs did on his WJ exterior (on YouTube) but that's a project that I don't know when I can get around to.

For now it's just an interior cleaning and upgrade plus getting it to run right (it has an intermittent dying and starting problem).

I have ordered a set of Factory Service Manuals, tracking says they will be here between tomorrow and Friday.

The interior is in pretty good shape for its age, the problem areas are dirty carpets, dirty console and shifter (but not any more), dirty dash, dirty door panels, and leather seats with some cracking and small tears. Also my interior is Agate but my cargo cover is brown (I have paint and vinyl die to change that).

As I said, I'm doing a QD rear seat bottom hinge pin modification in preparation for a DIY folding storage drawer/bed platform for car camping. The rest of my interior rehab is cleaning, leather restoration, rubber floor mats, a phone holder and hopefully a double DIN stereo install with Bluetooth and a back up camera.

I just want a driver that looks and feels nice inside with some of the more essential modern conveniences and a car camping setup.

I'm not going for a show car, a mudder or a rock crawler, just nice. My phone mount is about $50, floor mats $50 (used), cleaning cost probably about $100, DIY leather restoration up to $300, hopefully less, double DIN stereo upgrade with back up camera, about $4-500, cargo drawer/bed platform about $200.

Hopefully for around $1,000 I'll have hands-free calling, navigation through Android Auto, back up camera, my cargo drawer/bed platform and an interior that looks new, with the carpet protected by mats. To me, that seems like money well spent because it will have features almost like a brand new car, the interior will feel almost new and kind of a starter overlanding setup. If I had to sell it, I feel like I would be able to get my money back out or split it up and sell the upgrades separately. If I get in a crash, most of it can be moved in to another WJ.

I'm trying to maximize my value for now.

Once I'm thinking about body and suspension, that kind of has to be just for me because it doesn't necessarily translate in to resale value.

I really want to get there but it won't be possible for a long while.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-08-2021, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
The carpet needs to be really bad before I remove it to clean and if it's that bad I'd be considering replacing it and ive got 5+ years detailing experience from tiny little cars to 16 passenger vans used by tree planters to expensive cars. The front seats need to come out to clean under them there's just no way to do it otherwise.
It seems like my seats are going to come out one way or another.

Its not that my carpets are so bad, its that the rest is going to clean up really well and I don't want half clean, half dirty.

I have very little experience with detailing or carpet cleaning. I don't have a steam cleaner or extractor setup either, my carpet deep cleaning will probably be a pressure wash at the self serve car wash and maybe I'll rent a carpet cleaner machine (if that is still a thing, I remember seeing them at grocery stores).

The desert heat will dry them out quickly, then I'll put them back in.

I can understand not wanting to take the time to remove carpets if you are a detailer. The parts you can't get to probably aren't dirty, for me, I bet I would miss a lot without full access. You probably worry about breakage or losing parts. I do too but I'm not on the hook to a customer, just myself and I'm not on a tight schedule either. If there is something giving me trouble, I can stop to read the FSM or watch a video.

What I'm not hearing is "that was a total pain in the ***", "that was a lot harder than it looks" or "I got it half way out then I had to pay a mechanic to put it back". To me that says I can probably do it without much trouble.

With that said, are there any decent OEM style replacement carpets for an Agate interior Limited? If they are cheap, that might make sense but I'll probably come back to cleaning mine because they aren't too bad.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-08-2021, 11:01 AM
95-ZJ

1930 CJ2 

DD and others...

Here is a link to a site to get a digital copy of your generation Jeep FSM. You have to register and go thru the hoops...

For those who believe in Pay It Forward... maybe add a few bucks to the donate page for the free DIGITAL FSM. Its up to you...

https://jeepslimited.com/index.php/d...bout-downloads
post #13 of 19 Old 06-08-2021, 11:17 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

https://www.amazon.ca/BISSELL-Portab...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I have 1 simular to this. Plus a drill and and a brush attachment.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-08-2021, 03:47 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I yanked all my carpet to take care of some floor rust issues. Bedlinered the whole thing and left it like that.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #15 of 19 Old 06-08-2021, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

Any reason why you left it out beside wanting to go bare metal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in