• 1 Post By scott0720
  • 1 Post By Kolak
  • 1 Post By SierraLady

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-02-2020, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
SierraLady

Garage
Which Shock Absorbers to buy for 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hello, I have the 4x4 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7L. No up country suspension. I have taken it off road lots of times but it now needs new shocks. I drive it everyday and have taken it up to the Eastern Sierra to go off on very rocky and bumpy up hill roads. I just got new tires so I want a better ride, it is bottoming out a little. I had new control arms put in also. I have looked at a few shock absorbers on Rock Auto. I am torn between the KYB, Monroe or Bilstein. The Monroe Gas Magnum or the KYB Gas-Adjust seem okay but I wonder if they are heavy duty enough. Would I be better off with the KYB Mono Max since they also have a shield to keep out dust? I have a mobile mechanic who will install them. I try to stay away from repair shops anymore because they charge extra for the parts that I can buy and have my mobile mechanic install. What is on there now looks like a heavy duty shock with Max at the end, can't see the first word. I think I answered my question. I should go for the KYB Mono Max.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-02-2020, 01:54 PM
speednjay

I have Bilsteins on and love it. Had the oe originals, rancho, and some Rocky road brand and all were pretty much a waste of money. I put the stiens on and it was night and day. Very Smooth controlled dampening not harsh at all. I do also have a 1.5” ome lift
SierraLady likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-02-2020, 02:04 PM
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

I have Procomp on mine. I bought them because they were cheap and needed them to hold me over till I can put in a real lift kit, but I ended up really liking them.

They were much better than everyone said they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraLady likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-02-2020, 02:11 PM
jansel620

2004 WJ 

Bilstein if they are within your budget. They made a difference on my 2004 Laredo.

SierraLady likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-02-2020, 03:04 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

Add another for Bilstein, get up with Kolak for best price. They're a tad harsher than stock, but not by much, which is also tamed by extra gear or people.
Kolak and SierraLady like this.

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-03-2020, 02:49 AM
Kolak
Vendor

I think you'd like the Bilsteins. They are digressively self adjusting so they will firm up for corners and curves but soften for harder impacts. They have a lifetime warranty too.

You can PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected] for questions/pricing.
eloucha and SierraLady like this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-03-2020, 03:37 AM
eloucha

I vote blistein too. Hold great as price too depends on ur use call Mr Kolak been in business long time talk to him he will tell u exactly what fit ur use and what brand work for. U.

Kolak and SierraLady like this.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-03-2020, 06:01 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
bilsteins
SierraLady likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #9 of 15 Old 08-03-2020, 03:15 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Bilsteins get another vote here. Had the 5100s on my 3" lifted WJ, now have 4600s on my 2004 SE WJ which is at factory height. Love both sets and got them both from @Kolak . Highly recommended!

Spend just a little more, do the job once. It's a lot cheaper than replacing shocks every year and the ride quality cannot be matched, in my opinion.
SierraLady likes this.

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #10 of 15 Old 08-03-2020, 11:23 PM
Spinifex

1999 WJ 

^Bugger I just ordered a pair of Bilsteins tonight, didn't know we had an in house source!

I have a 4" lift, went with Rough Country in the back because the Billies were out of stock and I wanted something asap, turned out to be the biggest pain to install. Didn't fit right at all, the sleeves were way too long on the bushings. Had to make a Frankenstein to get them to fit. So not messing around with the fronts.
To be fair though, Monroe and Kyb make decent gear too so you won't really go wrong. But really for like $70-90 or whatever they are, that's the cheapest you'll ever pay for Bilsteins on a car so you may as well spoil yourself.
SierraLady likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-04-2020, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
SierraLady

Garage
Thanks everyone! I see the Bilsteins are preferred by far. Haven't made up my mind and ordered yet. Will do. Tired of hitting potholes and feeling that drop so hard.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-04-2020, 10:05 PM
BigMateo
2004 WJ 

I've run the KYB's, they were ok for pretty much a stock replacement I think they were the Excel G's though. Can't speak for the other ones. Got Bilsteins on it all around now, boy howdy these are the best shocks I've ever bought.
SierraLady likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-05-2020, 02:13 PM
scott0720
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
I think you'd like the Bilsteins. They are digressively self adjusting so they will firm up for corners and curves but soften for harder impacts. They have a lifetime warranty too.

You can PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected] for questions/pricing.
What does "Lifetime Warranty" mean? Life of the shock? Is there a milage guarantee or "life" for these shocks? Im looking at them too for a 1999 WJ Laredo that is my weekend goto vehicle. Still.
Mattimus_LV likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-06-2020, 12:12 AM
Kolak
Vendor

"Lifetime" in this case means as long as you own the shocks. The warranty covers shock failure other than bushing wear and damage due to accident. So let's say your shock loses gas pressure or starts leaking oil years after you purchase it. That's covered. If you bent the shaft in an accident, that's not covered. If the rubber bushings wear out after 10 years, that's not covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0720 View Post
What does "Lifetime Warranty" mean? Life of the shock? Is there a milage guarantee or "life" for these shocks? Im looking at them too for a 1999 WJ Laredo that is my weekend goto vehicle. Still.
SierraLady likes this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #15 of 15 Old 08-06-2020, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
SierraLady

Garage
I sent you an email regarding the price of the Bilsteins.
Kolak likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in