Seat Options for WJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-18-2020, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
RockyTheJeep

Seat Options for WJ

What are the options of seats I can use for the WJ? Easy bolt on. No fabrication necessary. Obviously, 99-04 WJs, I think ZJ front seats fit just bolt up. Are there any others? I'm looking to go from cloth to leather. TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-18-2020, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
RockyTheJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTheJeep View Post
What are the options of seats I can use for the WJ? Easy bolt on. No fabrication necessary. Obviously, 99-04 WJs, I think ZJ front seats fit just bolt up. Are there any others? I'm looking to go from cloth to leather. TIA!
I forgot to mention, my thought is to find a set of seats from a junk yard and save some money if possible.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-21-2020, 09:14 AM
paulvon

The ZJ and WJ bolt up different.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1997 ZJ 4.0 L - Upgraded to heavy 93 sway bar
2004 WJ 4.7 L - 2 1/2" lift
2011 KK 3.7 L

post #4 of 12 Old 01-21-2020, 11:14 AM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvon View Post
The ZJ and WJ bolt up different.
I've seen many suggestions to use ZJ power rails as a bolt-in option in the WJ to replace cracked WJ units. Have not done this myself as I haven't found decent ZJ rails in the junkyard. When you say ZJ and WJ bolt up differently, is that the seat bolting to the rails or the rails bolting to the floor. I do know that the WJs have at least two bolt patterns for the seats themselves.

I tried adapting some Corbeau seats to mount to the WJ power rails. Issue I ran into was the seat mounting high due to interference with the transmission tunnel. The lower frame of the WJ seats has a lot of offset and clearance for the transmission tunnel. Had decent luck mounting Corbeau A4 seats as they have a very thin bottom and aren't very wide. Seated height was still slightly higher than the WJ seats. Could of mounted lower if I was willing to apply a hammer to the transmission tunnel. The seated height and the lower side bolsters (annoying to climb over with lifted vehicle) both contributed to me giving up and decided to rebuild my factory seat (weld seat frame, rebuild foam, and buy a replacement lower cover).
post #5 of 12 Old 01-22-2020, 05:03 AM
paulvon

I am speaking of the bolting of the rails to the floor.

Do not know about the seat to the rail. Interesting thought.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1997 ZJ 4.0 L - Upgraded to heavy 93 sway bar
2004 WJ 4.7 L - 2 1/2" lift
2011 KK 3.7 L
post #6 of 12 Old 01-22-2020, 12:27 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvon View Post
I am speaking of the bolting of the rails to the floor.

Do not know about the seat to the rail. Interesting thought.
Did some more searching and you are right, the ZJ rails will not bolt to the WJ floor. But can swap the lower part of the rails from the WJ onto the upper part of the ZJ rails and they will then bolt up. The part on the WJ rails that cracks is on the upper part while the ZJ upper part is more stout. The ZJ and WJ seats are swappable between the rails.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...-seats-894346/
post #7 of 12 Old 01-28-2020, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
RockyTheJeep

Thanks guys! Very helpful! Now, just need to find some seats. Haha!
post #8 of 12 Old 01-31-2020, 02:23 AM
DavidNJ

Corbeau lists WJ seat rails. They have lots of seats including their Baja XRS which is reclining suspension seat with optional adjustable lumbar support and optional seat heaters. It has slats for race-style shoulder straps and an option for a slot for a submarine belt.

https://corbeau.com/suspension-seats/baja-xrs.html

The seat brackets are listed as having double locking sliders: https://corbeau.com/master-seat-brackets

post #9 of 12 Old 01-31-2020, 06:53 AM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
Corbeau lists WJ seat rails. They have lots of seats including their Baja XRS which is reclining suspension seat with optional adjustable lumbar support and optional seat heaters. It has slats for race-style shoulder straps and an option for a slot for a submarine belt.

https://corbeau.com/suspension-seats/baja-xrs.html

The seat brackets are listed as having double locking sliders: https://corbeau.com/master-seat-brackets
The Baja XRS seats were the first Corbeaus I tried to mount into my WJ. Retaining the power rails, they sit VERY high. There was no way I could get them to work retaining the power rails. Manual sliders could be a different story. My other issue with the Baja XRS seats is that the back is very short. I'm 5'11" and they would offer me zero whiplash protection. Ended up exchanging the Baja XRS seats for A4 seats. They have a much thinner bottom that lowered seated height and the bases is more narrow at the bottom which helped fit better with the transmission tunnel. The lower bolsters were annoying though climbing into a lifted WJ. Still have the A4 seats but they are going to go into my '92 Mustang. So while Corbeau has options, just couldn't get it to work out for me.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-01-2020, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
RockyTheJeep

Quote:

http://corbeau.com/suspension-seats/baja-xrs.html

The seat brackets are listed as having double locking sliders: http://corbeau.com/master-seat-brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
Quote:

http://corbeau.com/suspension-seats/baja-xrs.html

The seat brackets are listed as having double locking sliders: http://corbeau.com/master-seat-brackets
The Baja XRS seats were the first Corbeaus I tried to mount into my WJ. Retaining the power rails, they sit VERY high. There was no way I could get them to work retaining the power rails. Manual sliders could be a different story. My other issue with the Baja XRS seats is that the back is very short. I'm 5'11" and they would offer me zero whiplash protection. Ended up exchanging the Baja XRS seats for A4 seats. They have a much thinner bottom that lowered seated height and the bases is more narrow at the bottom which helped fit better with the transmission tunnel. The lower bolsters were annoying though climbing into a lifted WJ. Still have the A4 seats but they are going to go into my '92 Mustang. So while Corbeau has options, just couldn't get it to work out for me.
Wow! Thanks guys for the info. I'm a big guy so I would need a "roomy" seat. I'm 6'2" 275. So, a short seat that is tight fitting is probably not for me... bummer. Anyone else have any experience with this company for the WJ?
post #11 of 12 Old 02-03-2020, 05:44 PM
DavidNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
They day the back is 31.5" above the seat cushion. Did you use the Corbeau seat tracks?
post #12 of 12 Old 02-04-2020, 04:51 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
They day the back is 31.5" above the seat cushion. Did you use the Corbeau seat tracks?
The upper part of the seat back for the Baja XRS came up to the middle of my neck and I am 5'11".

I did not use the Corbeau seat tracks as I wanted to retain my power rails. That said, I was able to mount the seats as low as they could go without physically modifying the transmission tunnel. In my case the bottom of the seats were in contact with the transmission tunnel. The factory seat and rails have a lot of offset and clearance for the transmission tunnel. There looks to be space between the tunnel and transmission so could reshape the transmission tunnel a little bit to allow the seat to be mounted lower. I just didn't want to go that route.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in