Sears AGM battery health question - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 06-20-2021, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Jeepsmsc2

Sears AGM battery health question

I have a Sears Die Hard Gold AGM battery (rated at 775 CCA) that's about 3 years old. I took it to Autozone for a free health check.

The test result was "12.56V charge 91%"

Is this healthy for a 3 year old battery?

My experience has been that Sears batteries have declined in quality since they quit using Odyssey for their Platinum series. I got a couple of Golds free when they failed in the warranty period:

So I'm a bit weary of this Sears Gold battery, now out of warranty, and which is not made by Odyssey.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-21-2021, 12:38 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsmsc2 View Post
I have a Sears Die Hard Gold AGM battery (rated at 775 CCA) that’s about 3 years old. I took it to Autozone for a free health check.

The test result was “12.56V charge 91%”

Is this healthy for a 3 year old battery?

My experience has been that Sears batteries have declined in quality since they quit using Odyssey for their Platinum series. I got a couple of Golds free when they failed in the warranty period:

So I’m a bit weary of this Sears Gold battery, now out of warranty, and which is not made by Odyssey.
I suggest that unless you have a strong sense of humour during adversity, you go with your gut feeling Gaffer.

Sears knew what they were on at when they set the warranty period.

State of charge does not show battery health.
Anyway, I think the guy at Autozone had his meter set to flooded lead acid.
Attached Images

Jeepsmsc2 likes this.
post #3 of 29 Old 06-22-2021, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Jeepsmsc2

I had another battery test performed and it showed 12.6V. Based on the chart above, my AGM battery is in the 80% range.

How should I interpret this data? What does this mean for an AGM? Keep it for another 3-6 months? Or buy a new one now?

post #4 of 29 Old 06-22-2021, 12:03 PM
Delta0

Quote:
I had another battery test performed and it showed 12.6V. Based on the chart above, my AGM battery is in the 80% range.

How should I interpret this data? What does this mean for an AGM? Keep it for another 3-6 months? Or buy a new one now?
The data is not worth the air it was spoken on I'm afraid Jeepsmc2
Even the best battery testers are not always correct.

It means only that your battery voltage was 12.6v.

If you can afford a new battery now, I suggest you buy a new one now.

You've had 3 years out of your old battery for $220.
That $1.40 a week.
Just 20 cents a day.
Cheaper than chips.
post #5 of 29 Old 06-23-2021, 01:07 AM
Delta0

Are you open to information about batteries and charging systems?

Last edited by Delta0; 06-23-2021 at 05:28 AM.
post #6 of 29 Old 06-23-2021, 11:24 AM
underscore
2000 WJ 

Does the vehicle start okay? If yes, leave the battery alone. If no, get a new battery. There's no reason to overcomplicate it and throw away working parts.
HampshireWJ, Bigrigr and snowbuggy like this.

00 WJ
[x] 07 WK CRD/OME/MALONE 1.5 [x] 00 XJ/OME [x] 97 TJ [x] 92 YJ
post #7 of 29 Old 06-23-2021, 11:40 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Does the vehicle start okay? If yes, leave the battery alone. If no, get a new battery. There's no reason to overcomplicate it and throw away working parts.
Do you carry a jump start pack to get you started when your battery fails please Gaffer?
post #8 of 29 Old 06-23-2021, 04:23 PM
underscore
2000 WJ 

You can if you're worried, that'd be a better use of funds since a battery could fail due to a defect at any time. I carry jumper cables and I have BCAA, but I've only had two batteries actually fail and both were in my driveway. The old battery that came with my WK that had been showing signs of failure for months and the replacement which had some kind of defect and died 4 months later. Apart from that all the random batteries I've had in the vehicles I've owned haven't had an issue. We recently traded in my wifes car with a 10 year old battery from a brand I've never heard of, and it never skipped a beat in the 5 years we owned the thing.

Considering how millions of people drive around with all kinds of corroded batteries from who knows where with no issues, I wouldn't even blink at a 3 year old, high end battery that tested at 91%.
97Mule, Waterluvr and HampshireWJ like this.

00 WJ
post #9 of 29 Old 06-24-2021, 02:08 AM
Delta0

Quote:
You can if you're worried, that'd be a better use of funds since a battery could fail due to a defect at any time. Yeah, they are also useful as torches, for charging phones, and helping other people I carry jumper cables and I have BCAA What's BCAA please, but I've only had two batteries actually fail and both were in my driveway. The old battery that came with my WK that had been showing signs of failure for months and the replacement which had some kind of defect and died 4 months later. Apart from that all the random batteries I've had in the vehicles I've owned haven't had an issue. We recently traded in my wifes car with a 10 year old battery from a brand I've never heard of, and it never skipped a beat in the 5 years we owned the thing.

Considering how millions of people drive around with all kinds of corroded batteries from who knows where with no issues, I wouldn't even blink at a 3 year old, high end battery that tested at 91%.
Yeah, well you know my view on voltage tests.
Apart from what I've already said, you have to wait 24hrs to do any sort of / kind of useful voltage.
Drive up test results aren't worth the air they are spoken on.
Yeah, batteries on their knee nobs will often struggle on for years.

The problems that come from old batteries stem from 3 camps.

Camp 1

Dwindling number of starts.

With a new battery, lets say you can make 10 starts back to back.
As time goes by, you get down to 5 starts back to back.

Eventually, you're keeping your fingers crossed that it starts first time.
Effectively, you are running on empty.

Then one frosty morning it's out with your jump cables, and a quick dash to the battery shop.

Camp 2

Hidden costs

Old batteries are more difficult to charge than new ones.

Old batteries mean hidden expenses: -

You use more fuel / gas.
Wear your starter out faster.
Wear your alternator out faster.
Wear the belt tensioner out faster,
Wear your alternator belt out faster.

Camp 3

Stress

Let's face it, lots of people find having an iffy battery downright stressful.

All that to "Save" a few cents a week.

Where's the sense in that?
post #10 of 29 Old 06-24-2021, 03:21 AM
underscore
2000 WJ 

BCAA is a roadside assistance program, I think most places have some version of it with all kinds of different names.

If you're making 5 or 10 starts back to back I would think you have much bigger issues than just your battery. If you want to waste your money throwing away perfectly good parts before the warranty is even up and replacing them with unknown ones which may or may not be defective then be my guest. It just seems odd to have such an intense obsession with batteries when a vehicle has thousands of other components that can fail and ruin your day just as easily, including all the parts you listed that you're somehow worried about premature wear on? If you're so keen on replacing functional parts then premature wear shouldn't matter since you'll be throwing it out before it's actually worn out anyways. And surely if you're that worried about your vehicle having a failure you should be leasing something new every 3 years and not driving a 20 year old Chrysler product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
Eventually, you're keeping your fingers crossed that it starts first time.
Effectively, you are running on empty.

Then one frosty morning it's out with your jump cables, and a quick dash to the battery shop.

This doesn't even make sense. You do realize that people who aren't buying new batteries every 5 minutes usually aren't running them completely into the ground before replacing them right?
HampshireWJ and Bigrigr like this.

00 WJ
post #11 of 29 Old 06-24-2021, 05:48 AM
Delta0

Quote:
BCAA is a roadside assistance program, I think most places have some version of it with all kinds of different names.

If you're making 5 or 10 starts back to back I would think you have much bigger issues than just your battery. If you want to waste your money throwing away perfectly good parts before the warranty is even up and replacing them with unknown ones which may or may not be defective then be my guest. It just seems odd to have such an intense obsession with batteries when a vehicle has thousands of other components that can fail and ruin your day just as easily, including all the parts you listed that you're somehow worried about premature wear on? If you're so keen on replacing functional parts then premature wear shouldn't matter since you'll be throwing it out before it's actually worn out anyways. And surely if you're that worried about your vehicle having a failure you should be leasing something new every 3 years and not driving a 20 year old Chrysler product.

This doesn't even make sense. You do realize that people who aren't buying new batteries every 5 minutes usually aren't running them completely into the ground before replacing them right?
Ah, a recovery company.
Yes, that makes good sense when one runs with aging batteries.

"Intense obsession" with its implication of mental derangement is a very nasty attempt to trivialize me.
post #12 of 29 Old 06-24-2021, 09:01 AM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
I have a Diehard agm about 5yrs now in my wj and i dont think about it. It has sat for several months at a time and it always starts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 29 Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Mule View Post
I have a Diehard agm about 5yrs now in my wj and i dont think about it. It has sat for several months at a time and it always starts.
That's amazing 97Mule.

Do you take the IOD fuse out when you leave it?
Or disconnect a battery lead perhaps?
post #14 of 29 Old 06-24-2021, 11:36 AM
Delta0

Quote:

12.92v at my battery 2hrs after I came in Jeepmsc2.
After a maybe 12 mile trip.

It went out at 12.62.

I've added a chart showing voltage against charge for a Flooded Lead Acid - FLA battery.

I'll get the reading 24hrs after the car came.
Those 24hrs will give the surface charge time to soak into the plates.
Attached Thumbnails
State of Charge v Volts Chart Ferd.jpg  
post #15 of 29 Old 06-24-2021, 12:12 PM
nickfast
2002 WJ 

I'm going to go ahead and say-if you are not running into any issues, your battery holds charge and starts the rig, voltage is normal when running and 24 hours later, your terminals are clean and tight (and NOT the emergency crap things that clamp around a bare cable!), I would not even blink at continuing to use a 3 year old battery. Wet cell or AGM.
Don't go crazy chasing someone's percentages. How is it working?
underscore likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in