It's 2018 - Discussion: Best way to get aux audio in a WJ? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 11-17-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Question It's 2018 - Discussion: Best way to get aux audio in a WJ?

A little advice needed please

After my Jeep got broken into and my bluetooth receiver stolen, I've felt my line in soldered to tape deck inputs just doesn't sound that good with the replacement receiver (maybe it's just me!).

What's the best way to get a line into the stock head unit and retain steering wheel volume control? What's most important to me here is audio quality. A CD in the CD changer sounds really good so I know the head unit / speakers are satisfactory... it's more about getting audio from my phone to the speakers in the best possible quality.

Are the iSimple kits the best option? CD changer splice mod? FM radio antenna hard wire?

I want to hear people's opinions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-17-2018, 10:27 AM
ShinyWJ
2002 WJ 

The best way is to splice an auxiliary line into the CD changer signal wires behind the head unit. You'll also need to keep at least one CD in the changer- and I recommend creating a cd with any number of silent tracks- no actual audio. I had a disc in mine with 20 tracks of silence at 5 minutes each.

Wiring diagram available HERE.
edhammond71 likes this.

2002 WJ Limited | 4.7 | Quadra-Drive | Inferno Red Pearl | Dark Slate Gray
post #3 of 34 Old 11-18-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyWJ View Post
The best way is to splice an auxiliary line into the CD changer signal wires behind the head unit. You'll also need to keep at least one CD in the changer- and I recommend creating a cd with any number of silent tracks- no actual audio. I had a disc in mine with 20 tracks of silence at 5 minutes each.

Wiring diagram available HERE.
Thanks for your response. Do you think this will give a higher quality result than the cable that I have soldered to the tape deck inputs on the circuit board inside the amp?

I am totally ready to do this and thanks for the suggestion of a silent CD. Does that mean that you need to reset it back to the start of the disc every 50 minutes of elapsed CD on time? Also, is it noticeable when the head unit 'changes tracks'?

post #4 of 34 Old 11-18-2018, 01:35 PM
scodo1968

You can get a bluetooth cassette adapter from amazom for not much money. i use one on my 99 limited and it sounds great!
post #5 of 34 Old 11-19-2018, 06:58 AM
Dacaur

2006 WK 

http://www.j33pin.com/2016/02/aux-in...-radio-or.html

06 WK Limited, 4.7, 2"lift 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
Past jeeps: 03WJ, 99WJ, 99XJ, 92YJ, 92XJ, 85XJ.
post #6 of 34 Old 11-19-2018, 10:40 AM
weaselsmopar
2004 WJ 

This is the best way to have bluetooth and still retain all the features of your stereo. I use one like this in my work truck and have had no problems with audio quality call quality. It's easier and possibly cheaper then trying to rig something.

https://www.amazon.com/Nulaxy-Blueto...th-transmitter
post #7 of 34 Old 11-19-2018, 03:47 PM
10mm

post #8 of 34 Old 11-19-2018, 04:32 PM
james_2k
2003 WJ 

the quality with bluetooth fm is useless. cd changer is much higher, may need to look up that mod.
post #9 of 34 Old 11-19-2018, 08:17 PM
Soem0

Is there reason for keeping the stock unit? There are adapters for use with aftermarket units that allow you to retain steering wheel controls. Newer units will do a much better job with handling Bluetooth signal. And i don't know if you could find a modern day unit that didn't have a aux plug in.
post #10 of 34 Old 11-20-2018, 04:26 AM
Dacaur

2006 WK 

The one and only reason I always keep my stock radios, is that for some reason aftermarket radios have not figured out how to make their screens dim with the rest of the instrument cluster. I drive at 3:30 in the morning through very dark rural areas. I turn my dash lighting WAY down to see better, and a ridiculously bright aftermarky head unit glaring right in my eyes makes it harder to drive. Many have a "dim" setting, but its nowhere near dim enough.

06 WK Limited, 4.7, 2"lift 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
Past jeeps: 03WJ, 99WJ, 99XJ, 92YJ, 92XJ, 85XJ.
post #11 of 34 Old 11-21-2018, 06:54 PM
ShinyWJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frambo View Post
Thanks for your response. Do you think this will give a higher quality result than the cable that I have soldered to the tape deck inputs on the circuit board inside the amp?

I am totally ready to do this and thanks for the suggestion of a silent CD. Does that mean that you need to reset it back to the start of the disc every 50 minutes of elapsed CD on time? Also, is it noticeable when the head unit 'changes tracks'?
Sorry for the delayed response.

The silent CD should just keep playing on repeat, and you will not hear anything through the speakers when it changes tracks or anything. The reason for silent tracks is that when you have the stereo turned up and your source audio (phone, MP3 player, whatever) is playing a quiet part of a track, you can faintly hear the audio from the CD in the changer in the background- that's why I just made silent tracks, so you can't hear anything other than your source.

As far as quality goes- I have not listened to one modded through the tape input (only a tape adapter, which is of course crummy quality no matter what) so I can't say which would be better, but I suspect that the tape input adjusts the gain and other levels because it assumes the source is a crappy old tape whereas the cd input assumes a nice clean signal from the beginning.

Hope this helps!

2002 WJ Limited | 4.7 | Quadra-Drive | Inferno Red Pearl | Dark Slate Gray
post #12 of 34 Old 11-22-2018, 03:22 AM
james_2k
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacaur View Post
The one and only reason I always keep my stock radios, is that for some reason aftermarket radios have not figured out how to make their screens dim with the rest of the instrument cluster. I drive at 3:30 in the morning through very dark rural areas. I turn my dash lighting WAY down to see better, and a ridiculously bright aftermarky head unit glaring right in my eyes makes it harder to drive. Many have a "dim" setting, but its nowhere near dim enough.
theres normally a cable you attach which detects when the headlights are on and dim, there certainly was when i last installed a stereo 8 years ago!
post #13 of 34 Old 11-22-2018, 09:47 AM
4WDlifeform

2004 WJ 

Here is what I use, and I love it. Keeps all stock components, sound quality is great, and not hard it install:

This FM transmitter HARDWIRES into your antenna line. You will need the Chrysler specific adapter. There is no radio interference like the wireless ones, but works the same by tuning to an FM station and turn on the transmitter (green switch). Installation is a 5/10. You'll have to pull the center dash apart, cut and splice some wires for power/ground, and install the AUX in and switch somewhere. Since I don't have the heated seats, I used that blank filler.
https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MO...ux+transmitter

For bluetooth, I use this. Again, no wireless transmission, it plugs into the line-in that was installed:
https://www.amazon.com/OWIKAR-Blueto...+bluetooth+aux

And lastly, this suction cup mount (optional) is awesome and comes with a handy app for your smart phone to help change music and navigation while you drive. It even displays speed, which is convenient if you have larger tires!
https://www.amazon.com/iBOLT-miniPro...bolt+car+mount

Good luck, let us know what you end up with!

'04 WJ 4.0, 335k miles, 2" Coils, 255/70 KO2s, Aussie rear, hydra front, 4.10s, 2x6 tube sliders
post #14 of 34 Old 11-22-2018, 01:48 PM
LelandGray
2001 WJ 

FWIW, I tried the aux input wired into the CD changer. It did work, but not well. I could turn the volume up, but I couldn't turn the volume down without changing the input to another input (radio). There were some other issues so I abandoned hope.

2001 WJ Limited w/ QuadraDrive
Bilstein 5125's
jgcparts 2.5"/2" BB
JK take offs & 265/75R17's
post #15 of 34 Old 11-22-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Thanks for all the replies! This sort of discussion is exactly what I was hoping for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scodo1968 View Post
You can get a bluetooth cassette adapter from amazom for not much money. i use one on my 99 limited and it sounds great!
I've never found any cassette adapter to sound that good. Ultimately it will sound as good as well... a cassette and I'm after higher quality. I used to use a wired cassette adapter and it wasn't too good so I doubt that bluetooth would be any better? Definitely an easy option but not one I'm considering for audio quality reasons.

This is an option I'm considering, thanks! I already use a nice bluetooth receiver with the controls in the right place but I am going to try splicing the ground for the blueooth receiver's USB power source to the ground for the head unit - this should eliminate any ground noise and subsequently the need for a ground loop isolator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselsmopar View Post
This is the best way to have bluetooth and still retain all the features of your stereo. I use one like this in my work truck and have had no problems with audio quality call quality. It's easier and possibly cheaper then trying to rig something.

https://www.amazon.com/Nulaxy-Blueto...th-transmitter
Not an option in London unfortunately, have tried something similar in the past and as soon as I found a free station I had to change it once I drove a few miles! Worked well in rural Wales but not an option for the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
Thanks, I haven't come across this before - have you had any experience with these? Quite expensive but seems like audio quality would be satisfactory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_2k View Post
the quality with bluetooth fm is useless. cd changer is much higher, may need to look up that mod.
As explained above, not an option for me in any case living in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soem0 View Post
Is there reason for keeping the stock unit? There are adapters for use with aftermarket units that allow you to retain steering wheel controls. Newer units will do a much better job with handling Bluetooth signal. And i don't know if you could find a modern day unit that didn't have a aux plug in.
A head unit upgrade is something I might consider at some point but if I were to do it I'd want something that is 1. Double din 2. Looks stock 3. Has Android Auto 4. Isn't gonna break the bank. From what I've seen, the technology is changing all the time (screen resolution etc) so whilst this is something I might do at some point in the future, I don't know if I'm quite ready for it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyWJ View Post
Sorry for the delayed response.

Hope this helps!
That's very helpful, thanks! Had a bit of a Doh! moment and forgot you can keep just one CD in the change (all 10 slots on mine are filled) and it will just repeat that CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDlifeform View Post
Here is what I use, and I love it. Keeps all stock components, sound quality is great, and not hard it install:

This FM transmitter HARDWIRES into your antenna line. You will need the Chrysler specific adapter. There is no radio interference like the wireless ones, but works the same by tuning to an FM station and turn on the transmitter (green switch). Installation is a 5/10. You'll have to pull the center dash apart, cut and splice some wires for power/ground, and install the AUX in and switch somewhere. Since I don't have the heated seats, I used that blank filler.
https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MO...ux+transmitter

Good luck, let us know what you end up with!
Thanks very much for your post and pics! This is an interesting setup - do you have a link for the Chrysler specific adaptor? I'm quite comfortable with the installation and already have a bluetooth receiver and mount (you're right, it's such a nice way of doing things!) but I wonder if this would yield better quality, the bluetooth kit for Chryslers or the CD changer splice? Presumably, as long as the 'transmitter' is on, what you have the head unit tuned to doesn't matter, is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LelandGray View Post
FWIW, I tried the aux input wired into the CD changer. It did work, but not well. I could turn the volume up, but I couldn't turn the volume down without changing the input to another input (radio). There were some other issues so I abandoned hope.
Hmm that's a weird one. Think I saw something about this somewhere else... if I do this I will have to see if I come across this problem and try and work around it... thanks for the warning!

Tags
audio , audio input , aux , line in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in