Rough Country Dual Steering Stabiliser on a 2" lift - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigrigr
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2020, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
62JEEP
Registered User
 
62JEEP's Avatar
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 70
Rough Country Dual Steering Stabiliser on a 2" lift

Does anybody have experience of fitting the Rough Country dual steering stabiliser on their WJ with just a 2" lift. The RC guide advises against fitting it to an unlifted WJ and recommends it for a 4" lift.
My overstock size wheel/tire combo and 2" offset need something beefier than stock steering stabiliser to calm things down a bit up front.

62JEEP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2020, 07:11 AM
smokeyyank
Registered User
 
smokeyyank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Crawlarado
Posts: 713
Moog trailboss. I have one on my junk. Seems to work well.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
smokeyyank is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2020, 08:56 PM
Photoweborama
Registered User
 
Photoweborama's Avatar
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Orangevale
Posts: 693
The single rough country is more than adequate. The stock one should be yanked off the day after the new owner bought it brand new and replaced. Way too small.

The single rough country is almost double the size of the stock one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Photoweborama is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2020, 11:05 PM
coldspit47
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Durham
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62JEEP View Post
Does anybody have experience of fitting the Rough Country dual steering stabiliser on their WJ with just a 2" lift. The RC guide advises against fitting it to an unlifted WJ and recommends it for a 4" lift.
My overstock size wheel/tire combo and 2" offset need something beefier than stock steering stabiliser to calm things down a bit up front.
What crazy wheels and tires are you running?! I'm on 265/75/16 with a single stabilizer and no issues. What needs to be calmed down? Are you getting bumpsteer, death wobble, etc?

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.
coldspit47 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 06-05-2020, 08:37 AM
Bigrigr
Registered User
 
Bigrigr's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Near SLC
Posts: 2,612
Garage
Double aftermarket stabilizers is way over kill. I have the 4" kit and 32" tires and have zero issues with just one RC stabilizer. Doubling up on stabilizers instead of fixing the real problem is a waste of time and money. Read everything you can about death wobble on here, and have that front end gone over thoroughly, and you fix whatever it needs. Thats the right way to do it...


P..S, I have the double stabilizer your tallking about,(sitting on my workbench) it came with my lift kit, and i dont think it will fit on just a 2" lift


I also have 1 1/2" wheel spacers as well....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
Bigrigr is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 06-07-2020, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
62JEEP
Registered User
 
62JEEP's Avatar
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 70
Thanks - helpful advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Double aftermarket stabilizers is way over kill. I have the 4" kit and 32" tires and have zero issues with just one RC stabilizer. Doubling up on stabilizers instead of fixing the real problem is a waste of time and money. Read everything you can about death wobble on here, and have that front end gone over thoroughly, and you fix whatever it needs. Thats the right way to do it...


P..S, I have the double stabilizer your tallking about,(sitting on my workbench) it came with my lift kit, and i dont think it will fit on just a 2" lift


I also have 1 1/2" wheel spacers as well....

Really helpful advice here. The WJ spends time on forest trails (between more technical off-road sections) and most of those are either corrugated or large graded gravel surface. Trying to find a way to limit excess rough-surface vibration leading to premature ball-joint failure, power steering box, etc. I get a bit of bump-steer but no death wobble (yet!). The The tire/wheel combo is a Goodrich KO 265/65/17 with 1" negative offset Fuel Beast rims. Already replaced split/loose tie-rod ends, fitted new sway-bar disconnects.
Maybe I'll take a closer look at the other steering/suspension components first. It's winter season down here and the ideal time for annual maintenance. Back into the workshop!
62JEEP is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 06-07-2020, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
62JEEP
Registered User
 
62JEEP's Avatar
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 70
I'll check that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoweborama View Post
The single rough country is more than adequate. The stock one should be yanked off the day after the new owner bought it brand new and replaced. Way too small.

The single rough country is almost double the size of the stock one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll check out the single unit.
62JEEP is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 06-08-2020, 08:13 AM
Bigrigr
Registered User
 
Bigrigr's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Near SLC
Posts: 2,612
Garage
Those corrugated roads are hell on front end parts. Check them often and get the greasable ones to replace, then keep then greased. The grease can act as a little shock absorber inside the joint to help them last longer. You want to see zero play in any of the tie rod/drag link ends. As well as the ball joints. If you find play, they need replaced. I have a buddy who always drives way to fast on these type of roads, he claims that the faster you go the smoother the ride, but he is always breaking stuff underneath. Gee, i wonder why.....


I am currently running 265/70/17's on factory JK wheels with minimal negative offset. Plus the 1 1/2" wheel spacers. Are you saying you have 1" negative offset on your wheels PLUS 2" wheel spacers? If so, thats alot of negative offset. That will kill balljoints if you ride it hard....
62JEEP likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
Bigrigr is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-08-2020, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
62JEEP
Registered User
 
62JEEP's Avatar
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 70
Just a 1" negative offset!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Those corrugated roads are hell on front end parts. Check them often and get the greasable ones to replace, then keep then greased. The grease can act as a little shock absorber inside the joint to help them last longer. You want to see zero play in any of the tie rod/drag link ends. As well as the ball joints. If you find play, they need replaced. I have a buddy who always drives way to fast on these type of roads, he claims that the faster you go the smoother the ride, but he is always breaking stuff underneath. Gee, i wonder why.....


I am currently running 265/70/17's on factory JK wheels with minimal negative offset. Plus the 1 1/2" wheel spacers. Are you saying you have 1" negative offset on your wheels PLUS 2" wheel spacers? If so, thats alot of negative offset. That will kill balljoints if you ride it hard....

Oops! I need to read what I wrote earlier. No, I'm just running the 1" neg offset. That definitely made the front end a bit 'livelier'. The tie-rod ends are greasable - keeping them greased does make a difference, for sure. I invested in a set of sintered metal ball-joints a year ago - it's time to get those in. Did this on my old ZJ and that made a huge difference.

Yeah, corrugations are tough on the whole car. Just after I bought this WJ two and half years ago I switched out the rotten engine mounts - what a difference that made! The larger tires definitely help make for a smoother ride on the dirt - mostly due to being able to run lower pressures with the stiffer sidewalls on the KOs.
62JEEP is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 06-09-2020, 07:54 AM
jserna
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,220
The other issue to is if you have the front skid plate, the mount will hit it. That is the whole reason why they only recommend it with the 4in lift.
jserna is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 06-09-2020, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
62JEEP
Registered User
 
62JEEP's Avatar
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jserna View Post
The other issue to is if you have the front skid plate, the mount will hit it. That is the whole reason why they only recommend it with the 4in lift.

No skid plate there yet - I've only got protection for the transfer case and radiator. But, that's good to know.
62JEEP is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome