Rough Country Dual Steering Stabiliser on a 2" lift - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigrigr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2020, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
62JEEP

2003 WJ 

Rough Country Dual Steering Stabiliser on a 2" lift

Does anybody have experience of fitting the Rough Country dual steering stabiliser on their WJ with just a 2" lift. The RC guide advises against fitting it to an unlifted WJ and recommends it for a 4" lift.
My overstock size wheel/tire combo and 2" offset need something beefier than stock steering stabiliser to calm things down a bit up front.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2020, 07:11 AM
smokeyyank

Moog trailboss. I have one on my junk. Seems to work well.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2020, 08:56 PM
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

The single rough country is more than adequate. The stock one should be yanked off the day after the new owner bought it brand new and replaced. Way too small.

The single rough country is almost double the size of the stock one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2020, 11:05 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62JEEP View Post
Does anybody have experience of fitting the Rough Country dual steering stabiliser on their WJ with just a 2" lift. The RC guide advises against fitting it to an unlifted WJ and recommends it for a 4" lift.
My overstock size wheel/tire combo and 2" offset need something beefier than stock steering stabiliser to calm things down a bit up front.
What crazy wheels and tires are you running?! I'm on 265/75/16 with a single stabilizer and no issues. What needs to be calmed down? Are you getting bumpsteer, death wobble, etc?

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-05-2020, 08:37 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Double aftermarket stabilizers is way over kill. I have the 4" kit and 32" tires and have zero issues with just one RC stabilizer. Doubling up on stabilizers instead of fixing the real problem is a waste of time and money. Read everything you can about death wobble on here, and have that front end gone over thoroughly, and you fix whatever it needs. Thats the right way to do it...

P..S, I have the double stabilizer your tallking about,(sitting on my workbench) it came with my lift kit, and i dont think it will fit on just a 2" lift

I also have 1 1/2" wheel spacers as well....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #6 of 11 Old 06-07-2020, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
62JEEP

2003 WJ 

Thanks - helpful advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Double aftermarket stabilizers is way over kill. I have the 4" kit and 32" tires and have zero issues with just one RC stabilizer. Doubling up on stabilizers instead of fixing the real problem is a waste of time and money. Read everything you can about death wobble on here, and have that front end gone over thoroughly, and you fix whatever it needs. Thats the right way to do it...

P..S, I have the double stabilizer your tallking about,(sitting on my workbench) it came with my lift kit, and i dont think it will fit on just a 2" lift

I also have 1 1/2" wheel spacers as well....

Really helpful advice here. The WJ spends time on forest trails (between more technical off-road sections) and most of those are either corrugated or large graded gravel surface. Trying to find a way to limit excess rough-surface vibration leading to premature ball-joint failure, power steering box, etc. I get a bit of bump-steer but no death wobble (yet!). The The tire/wheel combo is a Goodrich KO 265/65/17 with 1" negative offset Fuel Beast rims. Already replaced split/loose tie-rod ends, fitted new sway-bar disconnects.
Maybe I'll take a closer look at the other steering/suspension components first. It's winter season down here and the ideal time for annual maintenance. Back into the workshop!
post #7 of 11 Old 06-07-2020, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
62JEEP

2003 WJ 

I'll check that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoweborama View Post
The single rough country is more than adequate. The stock one should be yanked off the day after the new owner bought it brand new and replaced. Way too small.

The single rough country is almost double the size of the stock one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll check out the single unit.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-08-2020, 08:13 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Those corrugated roads are hell on front end parts. Check them often and get the greasable ones to replace, then keep then greased. The grease can act as a little shock absorber inside the joint to help them last longer. You want to see zero play in any of the tie rod/drag link ends. As well as the ball joints. If you find play, they need replaced. I have a buddy who always drives way to fast on these type of roads, he claims that the faster you go the smoother the ride, but he is always breaking stuff underneath. Gee, i wonder why.....

I am currently running 265/70/17's on factory JK wheels with minimal negative offset. Plus the 1 1/2" wheel spacers. Are you saying you have 1" negative offset on your wheels PLUS 2" wheel spacers? If so, thats alot of negative offset. That will kill balljoints if you ride it hard....
62JEEP likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #9 of 11 Old 06-08-2020, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
62JEEP

2003 WJ 

Just a 1" negative offset!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Those corrugated roads are hell on front end parts. Check them often and get the greasable ones to replace, then keep then greased. The grease can act as a little shock absorber inside the joint to help them last longer. You want to see zero play in any of the tie rod/drag link ends. As well as the ball joints. If you find play, they need replaced. I have a buddy who always drives way to fast on these type of roads, he claims that the faster you go the smoother the ride, but he is always breaking stuff underneath. Gee, i wonder why.....

I am currently running 265/70/17's on factory JK wheels with minimal negative offset. Plus the 1 1/2" wheel spacers. Are you saying you have 1" negative offset on your wheels PLUS 2" wheel spacers? If so, thats alot of negative offset. That will kill balljoints if you ride it hard....

Oops! I need to read what I wrote earlier. No, I'm just running the 1" neg offset. That definitely made the front end a bit 'livelier'. The tie-rod ends are greasable - keeping them greased does make a difference, for sure. I invested in a set of sintered metal ball-joints a year ago - it's time to get those in. Did this on my old ZJ and that made a huge difference.

Yeah, corrugations are tough on the whole car. Just after I bought this WJ two and half years ago I switched out the rotten engine mounts - what a difference that made! The larger tires definitely help make for a smoother ride on the dirt - mostly due to being able to run lower pressures with the stiffer sidewalls on the KOs.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-09-2020, 07:54 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The other issue to is if you have the front skid plate, the mount will hit it. That is the whole reason why they only recommend it with the 4in lift.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-09-2020, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
62JEEP

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserna View Post
The other issue to is if you have the front skid plate, the mount will hit it. That is the whole reason why they only recommend it with the 4in lift.

No skid plate there yet - I've only got protection for the transfer case and radiator. But, that's good to know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in