Rough Country 4" lift - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-15-2020, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
gromanjr
2004 WJ 

Garage
Rough Country 4" lift

Hey guys, so i am trying to install the rough country 4" lift on my wj. Ive hit a stop with the lower control arms. First, am I supposed to remove both lower control arms before I install the RC ones? I did one side completely but the new RC lower control arms dont line up. Then I tried to remove the other side thinking it was moving the axle at an angle that wouldnt allow it to fit on one side. But now I cant get the stock lower control arm off the stock side. What am I doing wrong? Shocks and Springs are out on both sides as well as the sway bars.

This is my first post cause im kind of a lurker and dont post anywhere unless I have to, but this is driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated!

Gerry

Side note this is not with the adjustable lower control arms.

698.20 this is the rough country sku

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-15-2020, 05:33 AM
007matman

It's been a few years since I did this, but if I remember correctly you need to basically disconnect everything except the top CA. I fully supported the axle on jack stands.

When installing the new lower CA's you'll need to shift the axle. I used a ratchet strap and wrapped one end around the axle and connected the other end to a firm point on the Jeep. If you pull it back slightly you'll notice the holes line up. Throw your bolts in and go to the other side.. do the same there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 09-15-2020, 06:57 AM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

I used a rolling floor jack, ratchet strap, and a bottle jack to rotate and move the axle. Takes patience and finesses but isn't as hard as it initially seems.

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-15-2020, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
gromanjr
2004 WJ 

Garage
Thanks for the responses. I'll try that. Hopefully it works out!
post #5 of 6 Old 09-15-2020, 09:49 AM
skitso1080

2004 WJ 

I just put the same lift on my Jeep two weeks ago. RC sent two brackets that were for the driver side, and they had to send me a passenger side one. I was wondering why it didn't line up to. Not saying you have the same thing but check the brackets out make sure you have left and right.

2004 WJ Laredo 4x4 Selec-Trac
post #6 of 6 Old 09-17-2020, 12:01 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
My RC lift came previously installed on another WJ, and when i went to swap it onto my WJ. I noticed that the previous onwer of the lifted rig had installed the lower control arms on the wrong side of the Jeep. They are curved slightly to allow for tire clearance on turns. Are you sure you are putting the correct arms on the correct side? I installed the new lower control arm brackets on the frame first, then swapped in the new lower control arms, one side at a time. I dont remember anything weird about how they went in, seemed pretty straight forward to me....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in