• 1 Post By xcaliber81
  • 3 Post By mak_v8
  • 2 Post By leadsled jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-27-2021, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
rotational pulsing above 45mph... Brakes?

In the last couple weeks, I've developed a very slight pulsing/ out of balance tire wiggle to the steering wheel above 45mph. At first I thought it was an indicator of impending death wobble. I've had 2 weekends off since is starts, and was way too busy or bad weather, so I haven't climbed underneath.

I've had a pulsing brake pedal for a couple months. I replaced the front brakes last year(pads/rotors/calipers/hoses/ABS sensors), so I replaced the rears this year, as I felt nothing through the steering wheel and the rears were a couple years old.

In the last day or 2, I've noticed the steering wheel wiggle is nearly in time with the brake pulsing. Now I'm thinking the brake rotor warp may be hitting the caliper, even with the pedal not depressed, resulting in the wiggle.

Getting ready to order new pads/rotors and a LF wheel bearing as I noticed a slight stiffness to it last time I had the axle apart(only 1 wheel bearing available locally and the RF was def trashed)).

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KD2QQF
Member of Fourth Coast Jeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 05:18 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

Pulsing on the steering wheel could be due to a little bubble on the tire tread; I remember that when I was a guy, a bubble on a rear wheel caused a little shaking of the rear of the vehicle.

But honestly if this pulsing is also associated to the braking, the cause should be in something that involves the brakes.

Did you checked if one of the front calipers is a little stucked? did you used new or remanufactured calipers?

Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7 V8 HO. m.y. 2002
post #3 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 05:52 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar View Post
In the last day or 2, I've noticed the steering wheel wiggle is nearly in time with the brake pulsing. Now I'm thinking the brake rotor warp may be hitting the caliper, even with the pedal not depressed, resulting in the wiggle.

Getting ready to order new pads/rotors and a LF wheel bearing as I noticed a slight stiffness to it last time I had the axle apart(only 1 wheel bearing available locally and the RF was def trashed)).
Doesn't need to hit the caliper to cause a pulse, just a slight warpage. Theoretically could be checked and machined but makes more sense to just replace it.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

post #4 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 07:28 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

I had an unexplainable pulsating at high speed braking for the life of me I couldn't figure out. New brakes, calipers up front pads and rotors all around. Wasn't until the engine went out I decided with the replacement engine it would get new motor mounts. Turns out they were so bad it was causing the high speed pulsating while braking, maybe yours are good and it's not your problem but just shedding some light if you are stumped. Such an odd feeling when your engine actually shifts during corners lol.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 08:01 AM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak_v8 View Post
I remember that when I was a guy, a bubble on a rear wheel caused a little shaking of the rear of the vehicle.

So it stopped when you became a girl ?!?!?
UnekornPrincess likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 08:09 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ60 View Post
So it stopped when you became a girl ?!?!?
I was about to say something like that but I changed my mind lol
dauntless89 likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 09:32 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

@WJ60
@xcaliber81

I thought "young guy", I wanted to write "young", ..but I wrote only "guy"...

I had an Alfetta, probably too many drifts...
WJ60, snowbuggy and dauntless89 like this.

Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7 V8 HO. m.y. 2002
post #8 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 01:30 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Alfa. Those old ones had a special character.

[Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s, cars from different countries had different character... British, German, French, Italian, Japanese, even Eastern European all had their distinctive looks.

Now they've all been homogenized...they all look so much alike.[

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #9 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 01:59 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Quote:
….. I remember that when I was a guy…..
It’s all good here. I identify as a seedless watermelon with preferred pronouns zip/zippah.
WJ60 and dauntless89 like this.

'02 HO 235k ml. BDS, tubular arms, Addco sways. 245-70-17. Amsoil. W1CCW WRKi761
post #10 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Pulsing on the steering wheel could be due to a little bubble on the tire tread; I remember that when I was a guy, a bubble on a rear wheel caused a little shaking of the rear of the vehicle.

But honestly if this pulsing is also associated to the braking, the cause should be in something that involves the brakes.

Did you checked if one of the front calipers is a little stucked? did you used new or remanufactured calipers?
I hope it's not a tire. They were new in December. Can't recall if the calipers were new or reman. It was quite a while back on the repairs list as I've been doing a lot of work on it.

I know the pulsing when braking is the brakes. Just not sure if it could also cause something when I'm not touching the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Doesn't need to hit the caliper to cause a pulse, just a slight warpage. Theoretically could be checked and machined but makes more sense to just replace it.
I'll be ordering new front pads and rotors.

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KD2QQF
Member of Fourth Coast Jeeps
post #11 of 11 Old 07-31-2021, 06:45 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbar View Post
In the last couple weeks, I've developed a very slight pulsing/ out of balance tire wiggle to the steering wheel above 45mph. At first I thought it was an indicator of impending death wobble. I've had 2 weekends off since is starts, and was way too busy or bad weather, so I haven't climbed underneath.

I've had a pulsing brake pedal for a couple months. I replaced the front brakes last year(pads/rotors/calipers/hoses/ABS sensors), so I replaced the rears this year, as I felt nothing through the steering wheel and the rears were a couple years old.

A duff tyre Squire?

Last edited by Delta0; 07-31-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in