Roller Rocker popped off '02 H.O. - lifter or valve seat? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 07-29-2021, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Ian02WJOverland
2002 WJ 

My problem is I really want to keep this Overland. I put too much time and money in it for it to fail. Somehow I may try to buy another one if it comes to that. Dangit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 07-29-2021, 09:25 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian02WJOverland View Post
My problem is I really want to keep this Overland. I put too much time and money in it for it to fail. Somehow I may try to buy another one if it comes to that. Dangit.
I hear you man I was in a bad spot when my engine went out. If the bottom end is good you can just put new heads on it and reuse your cams plus valves. Non H.O heads I hear will work just fine if you need.
post #18 of 23 Old 07-29-2021, 08:24 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I hear that as well. I have put THREE heads on my 4.7 now (I am getting pretty good at it....), the last seat drop adventure hurt the piston a bit I believe as well. It left a pretty good ding in it and now I have an oil use issue. It is not bad but before the dropped seat it used none at all, now about a Q in 3000 miles.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag

post #19 of 23 Old 07-30-2021, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Ian02WJOverland
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
I hear that as well. I have put THREE heads on my 4.7 now (I am getting pretty good at it....), the last seat drop adventure hurt the piston a bit I believe as well. It left a pretty good ding in it and now I have an oil use issue. It is not bad but before the dropped seat it used none at all, now about a Q in 3000 miles.
THREE? What's your mileage? is it from High-temp issues or random constant valve issue/failure?

Dang.

What did a head job cost you in time/moola if you don't mind me asking?
post #20 of 23 Old 07-30-2021, 04:42 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I replaced the original ones after a failed head gasket to prevent having to do it, it had been overheated a few times from the PO and when I bought it the radiator was dry.. The seat then fell out, it fell the **** out after 12,000 miles on cyl 1 (drivers side) on start up in my driveway of the replacement head. It had never been overheated and I made sure it was bled properly as well. I then replaced only it with another replacement head from a different source with peened seats this time. So far so good however I now have an 09 complete 4.7 I am rebuilding to put in IF I can swap the crank tone ring to a 16T from a 32T. If not I will at least rebuild my current short block and put the later heads on after rebuilding them.
As far as time the first one took a couple days as I took my time and learned this motor as I went. The second time I had it apart and running again in a day once I received the new head. I had replaced all the timing components except the sprockets the first time as well. As far as dough, a set of heads (standard 4.7) is around $650-800. A Mopar timing set is a few hundred as well, I would not recommend aftermarket with the timing set. Your going to need a top end gasket set as well, around $100 and the good ones will include a set of head bolts. They are not torque to yield however it is recommended they are changed with a head replacement surgery. Going to need an oil change and 2 jugs of coolant too. All said and one with timing set around $1200, without around $900.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #21 of 23 Old 08-04-2021, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Ian02WJOverland
2002 WJ 

Hey all,

I've just been given a quote for $4000 to fix the heads (without knowing what kind of damage may be done) and $10,000 for a new engine to be put in.

I called around for another place called Just Jeeps and they'd put in a new engine for $7,300.

I'm in the Austin area, and those numbers seem insane to me.
post #22 of 23 Old 08-04-2021, 05:09 PM
speednjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian02WJOverland View Post
Hey all,

I've just been given a quote for $4000 to fix the heads (without knowing what kind of damage may be done) and $10,000 for a new engine to be put in.

I called around for another place called Just Jeeps and they'd put in a new engine for $7,300.

I'm in the Austin area, and those numbers seem insane to me.
seems high. I bought a crate ho engine which was about $3k.. (with a 6 year warranty) then had a shop put it in for about $1700.. came to around $6k total because I replaced a bunch of parts while the engine was out.
post #23 of 23 Old 08-04-2021, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Ian02WJOverland
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednjay View Post
seems high. I bought a crate ho engine which was about $3k.. (with a 6 year warranty) then had a shop put it in for about $1700.. came to around $6k total because I replaced a bunch of parts while the engine was out.
That seems much more reasonable and I'd be willing to go for that. But 10k? Mmnope.

Still exploring options but depending on whether there's cylinder damage or not I may just try to have the heads and valves done.

Ouch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in