Right Rear (Passenger Side) Disk Brake smoking. 1999 Limited - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-13-2021, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Right Rear (Passenger Side) Disk Brake smoking. 1999 Limited

Hi all,

I have a 1999 Limited and I am 99% sure I updated it to the better ones, the Akebono. I have a note in my log i replaced this Caliper in January of 2020. What I have going on right now is my wife went and drove it, came home ran in the house and said the car stunk. I went out and the Right Rear brake had smoke wafting over the top of the car.

I am guessing its locked, but I don't know. How do I fix this? Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-13-2021, 07:19 PM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

My understanding is they dont make Akebono for the rears. I remember reading there is no difference in the construction/design between Akebono and Teves for the rears. In any event. I'd replace it. Buy the time you remove it and take it apart and clean it you could just swap in a new one and be on your way.
Joey Bagadonuts likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-13-2021, 07:41 PM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

I'd replace both calipers. JMO but I'd never do only one side of brakes.
Bigrigr likes this.

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO
Powerful Wanderer (wife named it after driving it)
265/70/17 MT, 2" BDS lift

post #4 of 17 Old 06-13-2021, 07:43 PM
helijeeper

I chased this problem and tried all the cheaper other fixes (slide pins, lines, cleaning) before I broke down and finally did all new calipers, discs and pads on both sides. At a minimum if you havenít smoked the pads and disc already I would say a caliper would do it.

Sent from my spyPhone using Tapatalk

Fly Low, Take Chances
04 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo
94 Cherokee 4.0HO Bone Stock
post #5 of 17 Old 06-14-2021, 01:11 PM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
Hi all,

I have a 1999 Limited and I am 99% sure I updated it to the better ones, the Akebono. I have a note in my log i replaced this Caliper in January of 2020. What I have going on right now is my wife went and drove it, came home ran in the house and said the car stunk. I went out and the Right Rear brake had smoke wafting over the top of the car.

I am guessing its locked, but I don't know. How do I fix this? Thoughts?
Did you replace the brake hose when you replaced the caliper?
If not is might be causing your problem.

Try loosing the outboard connection to the hose, if brake juice squirts out the hose is likely the problem.

It's also possible to damage a non-flexible pipe.
You can check for pipe damage just by looking.

If little juice comes out when you open the relevant bleed nipple, and still can't prize the caliper open, it looks like your 18 month old caliper has gone a knacker I'm afraid.
How long is the warranty?
post #6 of 17 Old 06-14-2021, 02:22 PM
Ozzel99WJ
1999 WJ 

Definitely sounds like a stuck caliper but also worth noting it could be a leaky wheel bearing axle seal dripping onto the e-brake shoes (usually won't be that smokey though). When you pull the caliper double check those so you don't have to do it all again.

-JC
post #7 of 17 Old 06-14-2021, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons1 View Post
My understanding is they dont make Akebono for the rears. I remember reading there is no difference in the construction/design between Akebono and Teves for the rears. In any event. I'd replace it. Buy the time you remove it and take it apart and clean it you could just swap in a new one and be on your way.
Thanks for that, was not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
I'd replace both calipers. JMO but I'd never do only one side of brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helijeeper View Post
I chased this problem and tried all the cheaper other fixes (slide pins, lines, cleaning) before I broke down and finally did all new calipers, discs and pads on both sides. At a minimum if you haven’t smoked the pads and disc already I would say a caliper would do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
Did you replace the brake hose when you replaced the caliper?
If not is might be causing your problem.

Try loosing the outboard connection to the hose, if brake juice squirts out the hose is likely the problem.

It's also possible to damage a non-flexible pipe.
You can check for pipe damage just by looking.

If little juice comes out when you open the relevant bleed nipple, and still can't prize the caliper open, it looks like your 18 month old caliper has gone a knacker I'm afraid.
How long is the warranty?
Thanks Delta, when I remove it I will check into it and see if it squirts when I take it off.
Thanks to all 4 of you, same recommendation to replace it, maybe both. I believe I got it from NAPA and they said it's a lifetime warranty.

You know I don't really care about the lifetime warranty, I care about not having to do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzel99WJ View Post
Definitely sounds like a stuck caliper but also worth noting it could be a leaky wheel bearing axle seal dripping onto the e-brake shoes (usually won't be that smokey though). When you pull the caliper double check those so you don't have to do it all again.

-JC
Thanks JC, It is definitely brake smell so I am in agreement it the caliper is stuck.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-15-2021, 01:24 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
Thanks for that, was not sure...

Thanks Delta, when I remove it I will check into it and see if it squirts when I take it off.
Thanks to all 4 of you, same recommendation to replace it, maybe both. I believe I got it from NAPA and they said it's a lifetime warranty.

You know I don't really care about the lifetime warranty, I care about not having to do it again.

Thanks JC, It is definitely brake smell so I am in agreement it the caliper is stuck.
Thanks Ozzel

How about replacing the hose while you are down and dirty?
post #9 of 17 Old 06-15-2021, 05:17 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Any sign of fluid leaking at this rear wheel? Its pretty common to have an axle seal leak gear lube onto your brakes. It starts by soaking the park brake shoes, then if left unchecked it works its way onto the rear service brakes...Gear lube stinks something terrible when its burned off by the brakes getting hot with use....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #10 of 17 Old 06-16-2021, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
Thanks Ozzel

How about replacing the hose while you are down and dirty?
I probably should its a 22 year old car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Any sign of fluid leaking at this rear wheel? Its pretty common to have an axle seal leak gear lube onto your brakes. It starts by soaking the park brake shoes, then if left unchecked it works its way onto the rear service brakes...Gear lube stinks something terrible when its burned off by the brakes getting hot with use....
BIGRIGR! The man, you have helped me so much!! No sign of fluid leaking and when I lifted up the car tonight the wheel began to move, as in its not locked up. Is is possible this was a fluke thing? I think I will leave it alone and see if it happens again.

Edit: Just drove it around the block (5 miles), no smell, no smoke.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-17-2021, 12:04 AM
Ozzel99WJ
1999 WJ 

Maybe she had the ebrake on by accident? That would make the brake shoes smoke all right! Glad it went away, hopefully doesnt come back.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-17-2021, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzel99WJ View Post
Maybe she had the ebrake on by accident? That would make the brake shoes smoke all right! Glad it went away, hopefully doesnt come back.
Yeah I asked her that, she said she didn't, but who knows. Drove it two additional 8 mile trips with ~10 breaking opportunities each. No issue. My trips to work are short so I will keep watching it.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-18-2021, 08:31 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

You’re getting great advice here. Can’t wait to hear your fluid flow when pedal is pressed and bleed nipple is loosened.

After that it’s likely piston seal or slides binding.

I just chased my tail back and forth when I did replaced caliper (front akebono) as the pad was draggin’ and smokin’ but don’t check the pins for sufficient grease.

Took it apart and greased pins (yeah my bad I didn’t grease at caliper change a while back) only to discover I was again smoking pads. So I burned out piston seals again.

New caliper (I didn’t want to rebuild as it was still under OReillys warrantee) and finally got it done right.

When you keep messing up, just keep at it and eventually you’ll learn around your ignorance in whatever area you messed up. Best was to fix ignorance is education and sometimes the best education is the school of hard knocks!

Lumps on my head prove I’ve learned there!!

'02 HO 235k ml. BDS, tubular arms, Addco sways. 245-70-17. Amsoil. W1CCW WRKi761
post #14 of 17 Old 06-19-2021, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
Youíre getting great advice here. Canít wait to hear your fluid flow when pedal is pressed and bleed nipple is loosened.

After that itís likely piston seal or slides binding.

I just chased my tail back and forth when I did replaced caliper (front akebono) as the pad was dragginí and smokiní but donít check the pins for sufficient grease.

Took it apart and greased pins (yeah my bad I didnít grease at caliper change a while back) only to discover I was again smoking pads. So I burned out piston seals again.

New caliper (I didnít want to rebuild as it was still under OReillys warrantee) and finally got it done right.

When you keep messing up, just keep at it and eventually youíll learn around your ignorance in whatever area you messed up. Best was to fix ignorance is education and sometimes the best education is the school of hard knocks!

Lumps on my head prove Iíve learned there!!
Spot on! When you pay someone else to do it you miss the education and you miss the money you could have invested.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-05-2021, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Ok so it did it again so I replaced the caliper, looks like I now need to replace the rotors and pads. any recommendations?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in