Replacing a blown door speaker - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
gcsmorgan
2002 WJ 

Question Replacing a blown door speaker

I searched through some posts on here and saw one person that said if you replace the base speaker with an aftermarket one it can damage the radio? I'm looking to replace the rear passenger speaker, so it should be a simple swap/plug-n-play right? Or is it a little more involved?

Also, any suggestions on 6.5 inch door speakers?

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Sport | 4.0L I6 | 2WD | 225-75-R16 BFG Radial Long Trail T/A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

The rears are full range so there is no issue there. I had heard the stock stuff is 2ohm but my electrical tester told my my aftermarket 4 ohm speakers had exactly the same resistance as the stock ones. I personally like Pioneer's stuff for the lower end of the price spectrum, with rockford fosgate coming next at a slightly higher price point. Realize that if you don't want to drill holes in your door panel, you'll need to buy a speaker adapter from crutchfield or bestbuy or something. Other than that, it's straight forward besides a bit of basic soldering or crimping of new connectors after you cut off the factory connector (or buy an adapter for that as well, which allows for zero modification). Check out WJ Jeeps for wiring diagrams for your year.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 12:31 PM
snowman91
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsmorgan
I searched through some posts on here and saw one person that said if you replace the base speaker with an aftermarket one it can damage the radio? I'm looking to replace the rear passenger speaker, so it should be a simple swap/plug-n-play right? Or is it a little more involved?

Also, any suggestions on 6.5 inch door speakers?
It wouldn't be plug and play for after market speakers. Just cut the connector off and crimp the positive and negative to the speakers. Never heard about damaging the stock stereo with after market speakers. The rear is 6.5 speakers

post #4 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
gcsmorgan
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotzky View Post
The rears are full range so there is no issue there. I had heard the stock stuff is 2ohm but my electrical tester told my my aftermarket 4 ohm speakers had exactly the same resistance as the stock ones. I personally like Pioneer's stuff for the lower end of the price spectrum, with rockford fosgate coming next at a slightly higher price point. Realize that if you don't want to drill holes in your door panel, you'll need to buy a speaker adapter from crutchfield or bestbuy or something. Other than that, it's straight forward besides a bit of basic soldering or crimping of new connectors after you cut off the factory connector (or buy an adapter for that as well, which allows for zero modification). Check out WJ Jeeps for wiring diagrams for your year.
Thanks! After I posted the thread I thought about looking at wjjeeps.com. I understand that the rears are full range, but could I put in a 6x5 woofer in the rear door speakers to add more bass? The front door speakers already produce a decent amount of bass, and if I doubled it... I think that would be sufficient (instead of buying a separate 10" Subwoofer).

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Sport | 4.0L I6 | 2WD | 225-75-R16 BFG Radial Long Trail T/A
post #5 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
gcsmorgan
2002 WJ 

OR, here's a thought- could I get a separate subwoofer, something small (like 8"), and wire that to my existing infinity amplifier?

post #6 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 03:35 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsmorgan View Post
OR, here's a thought- could I get a separate subwoofer, something small (like 8"), and wire that to my existing infinity amplifier?
no.
the infinity amplifier is designed only for exactly what the vehicle came with in stock configuration.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
gcsmorgan
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
no.
the infinity amplifier is designed only for exactly what the vehicle came with in stock configuration.
I see. I want to find something relatively inexpensive ($50-100 range) to add to my audio system to give me some more bass.

Would this: http://tiny.cc/nl5clw plus a small amp: http://tiny.cc/be5clw

or this: http://tiny.cc/2b5clw

be good?

post #8 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 03:55 PM
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

For less than that second subwoofer you could get a sub and build your own box whatever shape you wanted. That way you could build it to fit somewhere nicely.

March 2014 GCOTM. 1998 Deep Slate 5.9
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
post #9 of 9 Old 09-29-2012, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
gcsmorgan
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsWJ View Post
For less than that second subwoofer you could get a sub and build your own box whatever shape you wanted. That way you could build it to fit somewhere nicely.
I don't have the materials or the tools to build a custom box. I wish I did!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in