Replacing battery terminals with pics - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

Replacing battery terminals with pics

I replaced my battery terminals today. As you can see in the first picture they were bad especially the neg terminal. I bought a set of the clamp on terminals but be careful I bought ones that were too big and it would not hold the wires tight. In the pictures you will see the tool I used to cut the wires. I also used red loctite on the bolts that hold the wire in place and tightened it as tight as I could and wrapped some electrical tape around the wires. So far so good. Its a lot easier and cheaper than replacing the whole harness.

Attached Thumbnails
20100906_3.JPG   20100906_2.JPG   20100906_4.JPG   20100906_7.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 01:53 PM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Looks good! I had to do the same on my ZJ. I used marine-style terminals with a wing-nut on a vertical stud and large copper crimp-on lugs for the wires. It makes it easier down the road if you do any custom wiring work when you have a bolt (like you do) or a stud (like I do).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Richard
post #3 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 06:50 PM
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Looks pretty good. Next time, though, use some shrink tube on it instead of electrical tape and it will look even cleaner

2004 4.0 Selec-Trac
BB->Black Diamonds->General Grabbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
metalhead
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseewj View Post
Looks pretty good. Next time, though, use some shrink tube on it instead of electrical tape and it will look even cleaner
Yea I thought of that but I didn't have any on hand and didn't have time to get any.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 PM
steelstr45
2004 WJ 

nice! Just wondering, how hard would it be to replace the cables instead of the ends? I know on Tauruses it's pretty easy. Never thought about it on a GC though.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 PM
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Looks good! I had to do the same on my ZJ. I used marine-style terminals with a wing-nut on a vertical stud and large copper crimp-on lugs for the wires. It makes it easier down the road if you do any custom wiring work when you have a bolt (like you do) or a stud (like I do).
What tool did you use to crimp them, could you just beat the lugs with a hammer? just solder them on? can you fit both factory cables into one lug on each side?
post #7 of 11 Old 09-06-2010, 11:42 PM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I fit both cables into one lug per side. I think they were a 6-gauge copper lug I used. I actually used vice grips to crimp them. Right at the point that vice grips "clamp down" they put a surprising amount of force through the jaws. Crimp, tighten 1/2 turn, crimp, tighten, etc. I crimped down a little at a time until it was crimped as tight as it would go. This was one of the first repairs I did on the ZJ and it has held up fine ever since.

~Richard
post #8 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Frasi

Bad battery cable lug

Thanks, looks great.
I just had the same problem, the lug on the positive cable came off from the cable, due to corrosion, do you know where can i find a replacement lug the hold the 2 cables (the positive cable on my grand cherokee 2000 LE haa 2 cables that go into the lug)
Thanks
post #9 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 09:43 AM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Any local auto parts store will have what you need over in the generic battery cable/battery terminal section. O'Reilly, Napa, and Autozone in my area all have an excellent selection of parts like this - I'd expect the same for you.

~Richard
post #10 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Frasi

Thanks Richard.
There is a Napa store 1 mile from my house, i will walk and get one, will bring the old one with me to compare.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-05-2014, 11:16 AM
dcorn

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I bought one of these to crimp my battery cables into the lugs. Worked perfectly, just a little awkward to set up since the battery cables aren't very long.

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-D800-Hamm...=pd_sim_auto_4

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in