• 2 Post By JoMc67

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-24-2021, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
bezzat
2004 WJ 

Garage
replace the A-Arm ball joint

want to replace the A-Arm ball joint
you have idea to replace to flex joint ?

place dont want to replace the stock rear upper control arm

Thanks

2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 2.7L CRD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-24-2021, 07:25 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
You have to replace the upper arm to use the Flex Joint in place of the ball joint. It is in the way it is mounted, Flex Joint uses a horizontal mounting axis with a long bolt going through one side of the bracket, the joint itself and then the other side of the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
20210724_092159.jpg  
Bigrigr likes this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #3 of 10 Old 07-24-2021, 07:34 AM
JoMc67
1999 WJ 

Garage
@cDee63

I just replaced my Upper Control Arm & Ball-Joint due to clunking issues, etc, and WJ now feels much better (back to what it use to be)...So, what's the advantage of this Flex-Joint (if I ever need to do a replacement again) ?

Thanks, Joe

post #4 of 10 Old 07-24-2021, 07:40 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
It is MUCH more durable and allows much more articulation at that point. The stock ball joint works good at the stock ride height, but like a lot of things on this when the ride height increases stock components fail much quicker. The quick fix is to put the spacer under the stock BJ to keep it happy with a small lift (1-3") but if articulated to its limit often it will still fail prematurely.
I will add, I replaced the arm not so much for the flex joint at the diff but for the ones I put at the frame mounts. When those mounts go south, which they do often, the entire rear of the Jeep steers itself as the axle is allowed to move fore and aft due to soft or destroyed bushings at these mounts. They also allow a LOT of axle movement rotationally, under power the pinion nose raises a lot because these bushings are so soft and allow movement in all directions. This is not good for driveline angles, what good is setting up a pinion angle just to have it deflect 10-15 degrees upward under high torque load. I could lay on the ground under mine with it in park and rock the Jeep forward and back stopping against the park pawl in the transmission. Just that action had my axle rotating up and down at the pinion least 10 degrees according to my digital angle finder, this will trash a u-joint in a hurry torquing against a rock ledge or whatever you are trying to climb over. In the hot rod car world on cars with leaf springs a "pinion snubber" is used to limit the upward travel of the pinion under high torque. This long winded explanation is why I wanted flex joints at the chassis mount as well. They allow the arm to pivot and rotate about the mounting axis which is vertical however if the pinion tries to raise at the nose it is essentially trying to pull that vertical axis to the rear and up, the flex joint will not allow that motion where the stock rubber bushing did. The downside is now that the connection to the top of the diff and the frame is much more solid I do hear some gear action noise being transmitted into the interior, it is not objectionable but it is there. To me it is a very small price to pay for the exponentially improved ride and handling I get from the flex joints. I have them at the frame mounts of the lower arms as well.
mak_v8 likes this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
High speed, low drag

Last edited by cDee63; 07-24-2021 at 07:57 AM. Reason: added info in a rambling on format....
post #5 of 10 Old 07-24-2021, 01:58 PM
JoMc67
1999 WJ 

Garage
Ahh, and a very good explanation, indeed, cDee63.

Thanks again...
cDee63 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-25-2021, 04:07 AM
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I haven't been on here in a while, but I still have my WJ.
What's the goto brand/retailer for a stock replacement (rear upper) A arm?
Can you get everything needed in one package?

Life is short, Play hard.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-26-2021, 09:26 AM
JoMc67
1999 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1longcj View Post
I haven't been on here in a while, but I still have my WJ.
What's the goto brand/retailer for a stock replacement (rear upper) A arm?
Can you get everything needed in one package?
This past year I replaced all my Suspension & Steering Components:

For Suspension I used 'Crown' and 'for Steering I used a mix of 'Crown' & 'Moog problem Solvers'...All from @Kolak .

Joe
Kolak and Ravenbar like this.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-27-2021, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
bezzat
2004 WJ 

Garage
just I ask about to replace the
Upper Control Arm Ball Joint Assembly to flex joint
you have idea ?
Attached Thumbnails
a.jpg  

2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 2.7L CRD
post #9 of 10 Old 07-28-2021, 06:15 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Like I explained in my first post. Check out the picture of the flex joint and then of the ball joint. There is NO WAY to replace the stock ball joint with a flex joint without replacing the entire A arm assembly.

High speed, low drag
post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2021, 07:19 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzat View Post
just I ask about to replace the
Upper Control Arm Ball Joint Assembly to flex joint
you have idea ?

borat, is that you?

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in