Removing a 2002 WJ destroyed lug nut - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-06-2020, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Jvanbev1

Removing a 2002 WJ destroyed lug nut

The chrome-covered (aluminum?) lug nut broke in half after I didn't heat it up before I tried removing it.
- I then tried to drill the lug nut out. I started with 3/16 cobalt bit and it broke off about 1.5 inches into the lug. .
- After that it turned to chaos. No drill bit could get through the cobalt bit. I also tried the "rescue bit", which was eaten up by the cobalt bit.
- I then tried nut extractors, but they just deformed the nut.
- Then I tried drilling the nut and using a chisel, but this seems to just bend the metal instead of cracking it.
- Next, I ensured my car would not be going anywhere, and pushed out the remaining lugs (into the rotor area - so wheel cannot turn any more). I did this in hopes of pulling the tire/rim outwards from the opposite side as the broken lug nut to snap the remainder of it off (or snap the lug). I don't have enough power to pull break it with with just my body...and if I pull too hard with say ratchet straps, it will just pull the car).
- My next move would be to find a device that I can put between the rotor and the rim, on the opposite side as the broken lug nut), so separate the two and hopefully snap the lug or pull the nut off.

My two questions would be
1) Does anyone know of a device that could do this separation?
2) Is there a better way than what I plan on doing?

Thanks all

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7569.jpg   IMG_7568.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-06-2020, 07:07 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Had the same thing happen on a 94 zj ended up using a dremel to remove the 1/2 wheel stud and nut.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-06-2020, 07:43 PM
agh3092

2004 WJ 

you might try a Porta Power if you have one or a hydraulic bottle jack turned sideways. However the wheel might actually break if pressure is applied such as what you were asking. One option would be to cut the wheel off of it and then you would have a little better access to it. Regardless of whatever it takes it doesn't look like it would be much fun. Best of luck with it and look forward to other suggestions.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-06-2020, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Jvanbev1

What sort of "bit"/ dremel attachment did you use?
post #5 of 18 Old 04-06-2020, 09:00 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
That sucks! Its gonna be hard to do this without screwing up the wheel. Last resort would be a cutting torch,(maybe you could just blow straight through it towards the rotor without messing up the wheel to bad-but i doubt it) but only if you have new wheels on your horizon....If you didnt have plans for new wheels, maybe your plans just got changed.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #6 of 18 Old 04-06-2020, 09:05 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvanbev1 View Post
What sort of "bit"/ dremel attachment did you use?
Oh man that was about 9 years ago now lol. I almost think it was a tapered type of bit. I worked at a dealership a mechanic friend said go get that jeep I'm taking that wheel off!
post #7 of 18 Old 04-06-2020, 09:45 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

You were doing OK until you broke that drill bit. I'm thinking that a few carbide burrs and a die grinder might slowly do away with the remains of the drill bit.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-07-2020, 05:55 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Dremel makes a tungsten grinding bit. That should get you far enough along.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #9 of 18 Old 04-07-2020, 12:18 PM
Rixdafix

2004 WJ 

Garage
Yeah good chance the wheel won't be saved but maybe if you turn the steering wheel all the way one direction (with messed up lug on "in" side) jam something (chunk of 4x4 or similar) between inside of opposite side of wheel and frame then turn steering wheel opposite direction? Man I hope this even makes sense. The idea being to break the last stud off but yeah, very possibly gonna break the wheel in the process (or dent that thin frame careful). I like Bigrigr's idea of cutting torch as a hail mary, might be all you have left at this point. Good luck, you'll get it.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-07-2020, 09:41 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ive had good luck using a hole saw to chew away the remaining piece of nut. No pilot pit in the saw while drilling.
A 5/8 0r 3/4 saw.
Klarah523 likes this.

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #11 of 18 Old 04-07-2020, 11:41 PM
Klarah523

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
That sucks! Its gonna be hard to do this without screwing up the wheel. Last resort would be a cutting torch,(maybe you could just blow straight through it towards the rotor without messing up the wheel to bad-but i doubt it) but only if you have new wheels on your horizon....If you didnt have plans for new wheels, maybe your plans just got changed.

If I was gonna sacrifice the rim, it might be better to use a grinder instead of a torch. A Makita should go through an aluminum rim with no trouble

I wouldn't trust myself to not set wrong things on fire with a torch (abs wires, rubber lines, etc.)

2000 WJ (Laredo w/ 4.0L) =|||||||=
post #12 of 18 Old 04-08-2020, 09:21 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

I was able to save my wheel with minimal damage
post #13 of 18 Old 04-08-2020, 09:43 AM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

Grinder, drill, chisels, punches, elbow grease. You’ll get it. Just takes patience and maybe some bruised knuckles.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-08-2020, 01:23 PM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

Really bad luck with the cobalt bit. Were you stopping regularly to shoot some cutting fluid in there?

I had a stuck rear wheel locking nut on my WJ last year, and had to drlll through the nut and then the stud, using increasing diameter bits. The drill seemed to be going so far into the depths that I was sure I was about to break through the other end of the stud, but when I finally got the old nut off and then hammered the remains of the stud out I found that I was only just halfway along it.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-08-2020, 02:36 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Hopefully these vids will help someone in the future:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in