This Rear Lower Control Arm Bushing Bad? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-30-2020, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
The Happy Friar

2004 WJ 

Wj This Rear Lower Control Arm Bushing Bad?

Got some noise from the rear passenger side, when I had some work done on the frame at the start of the winter it was mentioned my rear passenger lower control arm wasn't great. Searching the forum/internet didn't reveal if these cracks are normal after some use or replacement time, so asking you here.

When my front ones have been bad the metal tube falls right out, this isn't, so please let me know on the cracks.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
control arm bushing.jpg  

If it runs, steers, and stops, it's good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-30-2020, 03:10 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
That control arm is not dead, but dying a slow death. It may not be the noise your chasing yet, but it will be soon.
Klarah523 likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #3 of 16 Old 05-30-2020, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
The Happy Friar

2004 WJ 

Good enough answer for me. It's an original arm on when I bought the jeep over a year ago and I beat the heck out of the thing delivering mail. I'd rather replace it now vs while it's not snowing.

While I've got it up & am replacing them, anything else I should check/replace (only things replaced since I got it on the rear end have been the upper real control arm & breaking stuff, no other suspension)?

Springs aren't cracked, shocks aren't leaking, but didn't take off the stabilizer bar to check that.

Thanks.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-30-2020, 06:38 PM
Frambo
2004 WJ 

If I were you I'd go for the Superpro bushes in the lower arms.

Yes they're more expensive but they provide a massive handling improvement with no negative effects AND if you plan on keeping the Jeep they'll save you money as they last for ever.

Did mine 5 years ago and it was the best decision I made for the Jeep!
post #5 of 16 Old 05-30-2020, 10:40 PM
JoMc67

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Friar View Post
Good enough answer for me. It's an original arm on when I bought the jeep over a year ago and I beat the heck out of the thing delivering mail. I'd rather replace it now vs while it's not snowing.

While I've got it up & am replacing them, anything else I should check/replace (only things replaced since I got it on the rear end have been the upper real control arm & breaking stuff, no other suspension)?

Springs aren't cracked, shocks aren't leaking, but didn't take off the stabilizer bar to check that.

Thanks.

I have a 99' WJ 120K...I'm getting the dreaded Rear-End Clunk, which is probably the Upper Control Arm and or Ball-Joint...So, I'm getting the Upper Control Arm w/Ball Joint, Lower Control Arms, and End-Links from Crown Automotive.

After that I will be replacing similar Suspension Parts for the Front-End in near future.

Joe
post #6 of 16 Old 05-31-2020, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
The Happy Friar

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frambo View Post
If I were you I'd go for the Superpro bushes in the lower arms.

I found the companies website but they don't sell directly. I found some on Amazon but don't know how to find ones for my control arms. Any tips?

post #7 of 16 Old 05-31-2020, 05:17 PM
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Here you go:

I'd also recommend the panhard rod bush kit... removes most of the dead zone in your steering
Attached Thumbnails
delete.jpg  
post #8 of 16 Old 05-31-2020, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
The Happy Friar

2004 WJ 

Thanks. Looks like e-bay's my best bet, $125 for both sets.

post #9 of 16 Old 06-02-2020, 12:02 AM
rep-tile
Cash 4 clunkers survivor

2004 WJ 

It's beyond dead. I mean these are some serious cracks. You can better appreciate bad bushings when all the weight of the vehicle make them go off center. Even a bit of center is bad.

Rockauto has plenty of options for the whole assembly. I'm sure you don't want to reuse that pile of rust. Personally went with ACDelco; $100 for the set.
SD Overland likes this.

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, 703s injectors, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5
post #10 of 16 Old 06-14-2020, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
The Happy Friar

2004 WJ 

OH HOW MY JEEP IS A PITA!

So I made a homemade press with old bed frames I had. That took a couple days but worked out pretty cool. Had issues with the jack. Fixed it. Then yesterday I jacked up the car, took off the control arms, burnt out the existing bushings, used the a wire brush on my angle grinder to clean them up, coated them in rust-converter stuff, then painted green. Turns out I couldn't get the existing sleeves out so I had to cut the sleeves off the bushes I put together in the picture & put the bushings directly in the arm. So I got the new bushings in the driver control arm no problem. I got the eye-shaped one in the passenger arm, but the round one wasn't tight. In fact, it had space to wiggle around!

I decided to go to town & get another bushing, thinking i messed up with what I ordered, but when I get to Advanced Auto they take a stock bushing and it's to small! So we compare my control arm to a new one had the round hole on mine is the wrong size! GAH! Whomever had the jeep before me must of put on non-correct parts "because they worked". I would of done that too, but at least made a note of it.

So I just bought a control arm for the passenger side & put it on. I was finally done by 6pm on Sunday and wanted to give up so I can release for a couple hours. In a couple weeks I'll take the rear passenger control arm off & put the new bushings in.
Attached Thumbnails
control_arm_1.jpg   control_arm_2.jpg   diy press.jpg  

post #11 of 16 Old 06-14-2020, 04:55 PM
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Eurgh that is a pain. Does this mean you've got superpros on the driver side and rubber on the passenger side?
post #12 of 16 Old 06-14-2020, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
The Happy Friar

2004 WJ 

Currently, yes.

post #13 of 16 Old 06-14-2020, 08:33 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Pretty sweet little press!

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #14 of 16 Old 06-15-2020, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
The Happy Friar

2004 WJ 

Thanks. It's the result of having more crap around & not wanting to spend $$.

post #15 of 16 Old 06-16-2020, 08:26 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Friar View Post
Thanks. It's the result of having more crap around & not wanting to spend $$.

I need to figure out how to use my crap like you do, mine just continues to sit around and take up space....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in