Rear differential - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 03-22-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

Rear differential

Hi guys! Im new here...hope you can help. I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee overland with factory tow pkg. Recently i got my rear differential replaced. Today went off roading for the first time after the rear diff swap and felt the 4wd system a little weird, meaning i was not feeling the quadradrive engaging as it should. Came home wondering if the new rear diff they installed was from another quadradrive or not. Is it possible for my wj quadradrive to eaven run if the new diff they installed was not from a quadradrive? Also how can i find out if its a quadradrive rear diff i got? Maybe a label or something stamped in the diff?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 09:57 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Since it's been worked on I wouldn't rely on any tag or anything I'd pull the diff cover and look at it. A standard open carrier will look different than the limited slip in the Quadradrive. How did you know it wasn't engaging I don't think that would be obvious from the driver seat. What was weird about it specifically?
post #3 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

I went offroading yesterday and there was a hill i couldnt make it, i tried it at least 3-4 times. My brother recorded one of the times i couldnt go over it. I see the front passenger tire not spinning much. That made me think it was because the rear differential was not locking and based on what i been reading, the rear differential will command how the front ones spin or not depending if the rear slips or not. So right way i tought if the guys that replaced my rear diff prob got a non cuadra drive.

post #4 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

Here is a pic of the beginning of the video, on a good note i see 4 tire marks in the dirt from the previous attempts. I dont know maybe is just me, maybe in this video just happened to show the front tire not spinning much, i dont know. I would like to see if i did get a quadradrive diff though.
Attached Thumbnails
4D3EE30C-C7C6-49CD-8A26-A0D918F29C63_1584986815564.jpg  
post #5 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 03:24 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
I can't open the video and no offense intended but I don't think you have a good grasp on how the 4wd system works or is supposed to work. I'd suggest continuing to read up on it on here and other sources but in a nutshell, in your case when the shifter is in 4wd full time, the transfer case determines whether power is sent to the front based on what the rear is doing in relation to the front. Fronts are not moving but rears are indicates slippage so it engages and sends power to the front. Once power is sent to a particular axle, then the differential, in your case a limited slip, would do the same thing as the t case and decide based on slippage if it should send power to the other wheel. The front diff and the rear diff have nothing to do with each other. That hill in the video would be a great place to test it out though. It may take a few rotations of the drivetrain to make it all function as it should and if it doesn't happen in a reasonable amount of time then you may have something that's just wore out.
post #6 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 04:18 PM
TheBoogieman
Coronavirus survivor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. ***SOLD*** for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #7 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

Sorry it didn’t Let me send the video so all I did was take a picture of the beginning of the video and posted.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 04:32 PM
UncleWoody

I am going to go on the limb here, the QD has different axels than the non QD. Assuming that they tried to put a non QD diff, it wouldn't work because of the axels. Did they put friction modifier in the diff? It is required on the QDs.

"If we can really understand the problem, the answer will come out of it, because the answer is not separate from the problem"
post #9 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

Yes I understand basically my question is this, how can I know if I have vari-lok in my new rear diff. Lol
post #10 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

Uncle Woody just so we can all be in the same page they did replace the whole complete differential. The reason why I replaced the differential is because a year after they lifted my truck the upper control arm bolts of the rear differential broke And they couldn’t take out half of the broken bolts that were inside a differential so the only thing we could do was calling junkyard and get a new one and that’s exactly what they did. And yesterday was my first time going off routing on the new differential and for some reason after seeing the video that my brother recorded something didn’t seem right but like I said I might be wrong all I’m looking to see is what kind of differential do I have on the back of my truck, Is it a Quadra drive differential with the vari-lok?
post #11 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

Sorry for mispelling any words, im actually working and speaking to my phone.
post #12 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

Honestly I bought a Quadra drive because of the four-wheel-drive system they carry. I don’t feel comfortable driving a Quadra drive with a complete rear differential of a regular WJ basically a differential without the vary-lok lol
post #13 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 05:21 PM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

The quadra-drive front and rear differentials are vari-lok, they're different than a conventional limited slip so I believe jacking the Jeep up putting it in neutral and spinning 1 rear wheel won't give the same indications of having a limited slip as a regular limited slip would do at least given the vari-lok uses clutches to operate....so it may not spin the opposite tire like one would think, but its worth a try. I'd jack it up and check, pull the rear differential cover and have a peak inside. You'll know if its limited slip or not by comparing to a photo of a stock open differential. If they did in fact swap axles and not use a vari-lok equipped axle you'll certainly have some 4WD differences, and I'd be taking it back and having the right axle installed otherwise it defeats the purpose of having quadra-drive LOL.
post #14 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

Based on what the shop told me they just installed the differential how it came from the junkyard with axles and everything all they did was put new fluid that’s what they told me.
post #15 of 33 Old 03-23-2020, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

I was just hoping there was a label outside that will tell you if it’s a Quadra drive differential or not. Based on what I have been reading both differentials that are available for the WJ are Dana 44. So the housing is identical, it’s on the inside that tells you if it’s a Quadra drive one by seeing the varilok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in