Rear axle seal leak - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 76 Old 05-18-2021, 02:35 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

Many thanks @JGCJeep for your feedback.

Yes, readings are in hundredths of a millimeter.
the axle is attached between tailstock and spindle:

I am thinking to change it due to dents and grindings (so no more balanced), the doubt that it is no more straight due to the hard hammering and the plate no more perpendicular to the axle and the nick caused during inner race bearing cutting (see pictures)
I can't see well the seal race on the shaft, I hope it is not damaged; I should remove everything to check.

Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7 V8 HO. m.y. 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 09-15-2021, 05:21 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

hi guys, I am back again with this issue..., I am still dancing with my axle shaft...

A new axle is no available on the market, so I decided to repair the one I have.
I found each part and found a friend with a 15 ton press I can use for this job.

BUT....

because I am an indecisive eternal, I ispected the axle seal race in order to check for scratches or something similar.
Here follows some pictures of it: I found the axle a little bit warped where the seal contact the axle; the diameter seems reduced from 42,95 mm to 42,75 mm; with different measurements I checked that the diameter seems smaller from 0,1 mm to 0,2 mm.

The axle surface seems ok, you can't see with your eyes the infinitesimal scratches that you see in the picture made with the phone.

I checked the surface with a professional tool: a toothpick ; in one single point I can feel a "mark", but I can't see it neither using a lens.

So, my doubt are:
Is the axle wear compatible for a 100.000 miles WJ used almost only on highways?
Is the axle wear within tolerance, so that a new seal can work without problems?
Shoud I do something for that mark that can bee felt with the toothpick, to sand it with 1000 sandpaper or abrasive past, or leave it as is?

I am sorry for my doubts, I am an aeternal doubt-man...

Thank you guys!

post #63 of 76 Old 09-18-2021, 04:29 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

Hi guys,
I know.., I am boring you with this "soap opera"...

Do someone can give me his opinion?

Thank you in advance!

post #64 of 76 Old 09-18-2021, 05:41 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For entertainment--don't try it: This guy does a bearing change in the desert, with hand tools....

mak_v8 likes this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #65 of 76 Old 09-18-2021, 09:25 AM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
When I did both of mine I didn't see any marks or wear at all. My WJ has 154000 on it. If it was mine I'd be replacing both axles, because I'm kinda ocd about such things.
mak_v8 likes this.

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #66 of 76 Old 09-18-2021, 09:52 AM
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Well I do not know much about these things, but I have plenty of other things to worry about and would ignore this one. Replace the bearings and seals and go on your way. Monitor the area for leaks; you can worry on it if any show up.
mak_v8 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 76 Old 09-18-2021, 11:00 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

Thank you guys!
@WJ60
Thatís interesting...
Really canít understand how my axle shows wear after 100.000 miles and your does not after 154.000...
Donít want to think that the ďso said mechanicĒ that previously changed the seal with a wrong one, put an axle from a junkyard for some strange reason....

@GmanWJ
Yes, you are right, but this story is keeping my WJ in the garage since march 2020 (yes 2020, it is not a typing error... ) for different reasons, so I donít want to restart again..
Did you noticed wear on your axle when you changed the seal/bearing?

I donít know if it is better to sand it with 1000 sandpaper in order to remove the mark (invisible) or donít mind about it and leave it as is.

@jay-h
That guy is awesome!

post #68 of 76 Old 09-18-2021, 01:22 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak_v8 View Post
hi guys, I am back again with this issue..., I am still dancing with my axle shaft...

A new axle is no available on the market, so I decided to repair the one I have.
I found each part and found a friend with a 15 ton press I can use for this job.

BUT....

because I am an indecisive eternal, I ispected the axle seal race in order to check for scratches or something similar.
Here follows some pictures of it: I found the axle a little bit warped where the seal contact the axle; the diameter seems reduced from 42,95 mm to 42,75 mm; with different measurements I checked that the diameter seems smaller from 0,1 mm to 0,2 mm.

I checked the surface with a professional tool: a toothpick ; in one single point I can feel a "mark", but I can't see it neither using a lens.

So, my doubt are:
Is the axle wear compatible for a 100.000 miles WJ used almost only on highways?
Is the axle wear within tolerance, so that a new seal can work without problems?
Shoud I do something for that mark that can bee felt with the toothpick, to sand it with 1000 sandpaper or abrasive past, or leave it as is?

I am sorry for my doubts, I am an aeternal doubt-man...

Thank you guys!
So you want to see a worn sealing surface? I present to you this (YJ with 370K). That one was leaking.

If you can't reasonably get an axle, I would put it back together as is. You could well go years with that axle.
Attached Thumbnails
seal surface.jpg  
mak_v8 and Bigrigr like this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #69 of 76 Old 09-23-2021, 02:18 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SooparJeep View Post
I'm seeing a small stream of gear oil seeping down from the back of the wheel hub from my passenger side rear axle housing. My rear end is a Dana 44 (with the aluminum pumpkin).

I looked up some DIY videos and I am wondering if anyone has done the job completely by themselves and how difficult it was? I am looking to replace the wheel bearing, retainer etc but I'm probably looking to keep the axle shaft since they get expensive.

Pressing the new hardware onto the shaft is what worries me most. I have a mig welder and an old 2 tonne bottle jack. I had the idea to weld up a square tubing make-shift press and attempt to press the bearing on myself but I don't know how much "Oomph" these things need to be pressed on.

Looks like
I'm not asking a question here, just opening up some discussion on replacing axle seals to see what other people's experiences have been and how they went about fixing things.
  1. Remove seal & seal carrier etc.
  2. Remove seal spring.
  3. Undo seal spring.
  4. Shorten spring at the narrow end.
  5. Refasten spring.
  6. Refit spring in seal.
  7. Refit seal carrier etc.

Have a sump of your prefered imbibulant.
post #70 of 76 Old 10-08-2021, 03:16 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

DONE !!!

removed the old parts with no damage to the axle: I am happy

pressed the new parts with the press of a friend (mechanic): I am happy

Now this weekend I hope to insert the shaft in the axle; but, ...as usual (), I have a little doubt...

I will put some differential oil on the splines to help the shaft entering the splines in the differential and in the gerotor; but should I put some grease on the axle bearing seat (or on the external part of the bearing and seal) to help the bearing sliding in the axle tube?

When I extracted the axle, it went out without difficulty, it was full full of grease; I tried to taste the tolerance trying to put the external old bearing race in the axle tube and it was very difficult, because bearing diameter is 65 millimeters, and axle seat is 65 millimeters!.

I saw on the web that the bearing enters without difficulties and seems that noone puts grease/oil , but I am a little worried about this.

What do you suggest guys?
Thank you in advance!

post #71 of 76 Old 10-08-2021, 08:44 AM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
The axle will go in easily without oil or grease. Keep in mind that it won't go in 100 percent all the way. Once the bearing hits the race it stops. I used a rubber hammer to tap it in the last 1/2" or so.

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #72 of 76 Old 10-08-2021, 09:27 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

Many thanks @WJ60 ; but what do you exactly mean with "Once the bearing hits the race it stops"?

Do you mean "once the bearing hits the axle bearing seats it stops"?

I am sorry, I spealk english but sometimes I am not sure to traslate correctly.

Hammering the axle is somethings that scares me, I am afraid to damage the bearing, because hammering the axle means hammering the internal bearing race and rollers and not the external one that slides in the axle.

post #73 of 76 Old 10-09-2021, 02:28 PM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

Ok !

A little step for the world, .... but a big accomplished step for Mak!

I have put the axle in without problems!

But, as usual..., my question: what a crazy torque value for the flange nuts that hold the axle!?
I have torqued them in cross sequence arriving at 55 Nm (manual says 61 Nm), 55 is very hard and strong, can’t figure 61! (consider that I am not like Incredible Hulk )
I stopped at 55 because it seems too much for that bolts, it is like the service manual reports a wrong value...

Do you guys really torque that bolts at 61 Nm (45 lbf ft)?

post #74 of 76 Old 10-11-2021, 02:34 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

Job finished!
Shaft in the axle (bolts torqued at 61 Nm... ), rotor, caliper, everything mounted again; yesterday, at 8 pm, after 18 month sitting on three wheels and a column, the WJ touched the ground on his four wheels and went out of the garage for a test drive.

What an awesome sensation driving again my WJ!

Thank you all for your suggestions and, of course, for your patience.
I beg your pardon if I have sometimes bored you.
WJ60 likes this.

post #75 of 76 Old 10-12-2021, 09:25 PM
zouaveherb
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak_v8 View Post
Job finished!
Shaft in the axle (bolts torqued at 61 Nm... ), rotor, caliper, everything mounted again; yesterday, at 8 pm, after 18 month sitting on three wheels and a column, the WJ touched the ground on his four wheels and went out of the garage for a test drive.

What an awesome sensation driving again my WJ!

Thank you all for your suggestions and, of course, for your patience.
I beg your pardon if I have sometimes bored you.
I am glad to know you got it sorted out.

/herb
mak_v8 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in