re: type of wood to use with jack/stands? - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 05-07-2021, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Vaskania

2001 WJ 

Garage
re: type of wood to use with jack/stands?

Bought my WJ a couple years ago, and the jack was gone. Finally bought a replacement bottle jack (non-oem, no axle cradle) and a couple stands. Thanks to about 3/4" suspension droop on one side, I need a little extra oomph at the frame jacking points. Since I don't have an axle cradle, I'm not comfortable using the jack on the outer ends of the axle tube (d44a, so also not using the diff).

To start off, I know nothing about lumber other than "2x4" and "plywood" lol. I'm looking to grab 2 pieces maybe 2-3 feet of 2x4 for that little extra bit of oomph on each side (placed between the frame and the top of the jack/stands).
Looking around, I'm seeing all sorts like basic "wood", poplar, red oak, cedar... framing studs, etc. Does the wood type matter for strength/durability?

'05 KJ Renegade 4x4 [RIP 12/28/2018]
'01 WJ Limited 4x4 4.7L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-07-2021, 06:48 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
Oak is a hard wood. Cedar, Poplar, Pine, and Fir are soft woods.
post #3 of 33 Old 05-07-2021, 06:51 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Go to a construction site and see if you can find a piece of GluLam beam. A garage door header is a good example. Ask if they have a cut off end you can have, it is by far the strongest piece of wood you can find.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include IRO SYE and Woods DS
2006 Crown Vic Interceptor SOLD
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag

post #4 of 33 Old 05-07-2021, 07:52 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I have to say, I have never really worried about what type of wood in a 2x4 shape. I have never had just cheap ol pine let me down in this kind of situation. Just get whatever is cheapest...

I think I'm more worries about your 2" sag on one side....Thats significant

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #5 of 33 Old 05-07-2021, 10:07 PM
underscore
2000 WJ 

I personally wouldn't get under anything that has wood between the jackstand and the vehicle. I've always lifted my Jeeps using the control arm brackets on the bottom of the axle and never had a problem.

00 WJ
[x] 07 WK CRD/OME/MALONE 1.5 [x] 00 XJ/OME [x] 97 TJ [x] 92 YJ
post #6 of 33 Old 05-07-2021, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Vaskania

2001 WJ 

Garage
Oak seems pretty expensive by me, about $80 for 2x4x6, so for this purpose, that's gonna be a no-go for me.

I wish I'd have thought of the construction site idea, they just finished redoing all of the balconies in my apartment complex and had a giant dumpster out front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
I think I'm more worries about your 2" sag on one side....Thats significant
I don't have a full 2", I have 3/4 of an inch on the passenger rear. A tiny bit driver front as well. When I do my brakes and have better line of sight, I'll try to see what might be causing it. Nothings making any rattles or clunks, so I never would've noticed unless I'd measured as I did.

'05 KJ Renegade 4x4 [RIP 12/28/2018]
'01 WJ Limited 4x4 4.7L
post #7 of 33 Old 05-08-2021, 04:28 AM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

You want to put wood on a bottle jack? That seems like a bad idea. If the head/pressure point of the bottle jack is small, it stands a good chance of splitting the wood. If it’s just a temporary lifting, I’d try a hockey puck.

If you’re going to be working on your vehicle, a good floor jack is worth the investment and makes lifting vehicles much easier.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-08-2021, 07:49 AM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

I only ever use a block of slightly soft wood between the jack head and whatever I'm jacking on, never between the jackstand and the frame.
underscore likes this.
post #9 of 33 Old 05-08-2021, 08:10 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
yea the cost of lumber any more makes small bits worth money. I have always had a 4x6 about 10" . Its DF. has done the job. Personally cribbing over jacks any day if its real heavy/ stability.

reality i would bet a soft wood: not balsa , jack to frame would stick better then say if you had oak, ash etc.. Hypotheses is the oak would be more likely to slide. Not many will have a 2x4 made of oak. LOL a pine one is 12$ right now places. oak would be like 200 easy for say clear straight.. last 1x6 was like $65 for 8' was not great stuff as well..

packing for Rubicon and Fordyce right now, that 4x6 goes.. It can be jammed between a frame and axle as well with some straps can be what gets you out. as well its wood it burns in a pinch. mines got oil in it so might not smell to nice...

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 33 Old 05-08-2021, 09:30 AM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
It comes down to how much is it worth to not feel a 5,000 lb vehicle fall on you. I'm pretty sure the hospital bill will be more than the wood.
post #11 of 33 Old 05-08-2021, 09:44 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

I don't know what the big deal is jacking on the diff? I've always just put the floor jack on the lower control arm. I mean the tire is connected to the end already and my diff tubes are still mint.

Theres quite a bit of droop when you lift on the body at least there with my upcountry. Bottle Jack's scare me they tip over if unsecured or on crappy ground.
underscore likes this.
post #12 of 33 Old 05-08-2021, 09:45 AM
Golden-Arm

Garage
you wouldn't put the wood between the jack and the jeep anyways. you'd set the jack on top of a large, stable piece of wood. once you have lifted your jeep, the bottle jack serves no purpose. get a proper floor jack, or get a piece of pt 2x8, and cut a couple of pieces. maybe a 14", a 12" and a 10" piece, then stack them up. (as needed) jack it up THEN put your jackstand under the frame, or axle tube, and lower the jeep onto the stand. THEN you can go underneath, and work safely.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #13 of 33 Old 05-08-2021, 10:01 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
^^ That is the use I meant. A piece of GluLam under the jack to stabilize. And I have jacked my 04 up by the center diff more times than I can remember with no ill effects.
Bigrigr likes this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include IRO SYE and Woods DS
2006 Crown Vic Interceptor SOLD
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #14 of 33 Old 05-08-2021, 10:08 AM
Golden-Arm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
I have jacked my 04 up by the center diff more times than I can remember with no ill effects.

this is the way i do mine too. the pumpkin can easily carry the weight of the rear of the jeep, when jacking. after lifting it up, i get the jackstand lip into the pocket of the rear control arm frame mount. mine's up there now, getting ready to swap the crown crap out of the rear end.
underscore and gerryandkaren like this.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #15 of 33 Old 05-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskania View Post
Oak seems pretty expensive by me, about $80 for 2x4x6, so for this purpose, that's gonna be a no-go for me.

I wish I'd have thought of the construction site idea, they just finished redoing all of the balconies in my apartment complex and had a giant dumpster out front.

I don't have a full 2", I have 3/4 of an inch on the passenger rear. A tiny bit driver front as well. When I do my brakes and have better line of sight, I'll try to see what might be causing it. Nothings making any rattles or clunks, so I never would've noticed unless I'd measured as I did.

Probably just saggy springs then.....time for a lift kit!!!!
UKXJ likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in