Radiator Questions - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 222Doc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-29-2020, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
ribivi
2004 WJ 

Radiator Questions

I have put in two radiators, which one was replaced under warranty for defect in workmanship. Now the replacement has a crack in the exact same spot as the one replaced. I checked, and checked again on all bolts secured not causing flex in the radiator, no flex, just a crack in the exact same spot as before. So here is my dilemma, every radiator I have looked at to replace yet again the cracked radiator, still has the plastic wells on the sides of the radiator. Which is why i feel I am having these issues, heat and plastic do not mix. Does anyone out here know of a full metal radiator that i can replace this thing with. It is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with the 4.0. trying to replaced the radiator before I have anymore issues, and prefer the replacement to be fully aluminum. I am sure someone out there has some ideas.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-29-2020, 07:43 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are you installing auto parts store Chinese radiators, or genuine Jeep radiators ? Across all the 4x4 forums, it is well known that cheap crappy Chinese radiators are cheap for a reason.

To me, radiators are a routine maintenance item like tires and mufflers, when they eventually go bad you install a new one. Regular routine preventative maintenance will keep the cooling system efficient, and extend the service life.

Top quality repair and replacement parts fit better, function better, and last longer than any "Lifetime Warranty" junk.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 9 Old 03-29-2020, 08:50 AM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
Let me give you my personal experience with a radiator I purchased from Advance Auto.
I got a pin-hole in my original radiator, purchased one from AA in Oct 2012, and it's still going strong after all these years.
Perhaps I'm just extremely lucky.

With that said, I believe @ribivi has something else going on causing his radiator to crack in exactly the same spot each time.
Just my $.02.

FWIW: I think others on this site have had success with aftermarket aluminum radiators.

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i

post #4 of 9 Old 03-30-2020, 07:36 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribivi View Post
I have put in two radiators, which one was replaced under warranty for defect in workmanship. Now the replacement has a crack in the exact same spot as the one replaced.
You bought a cheap radiator instead of a Mopar one, they replaced it under warranty with the same cheap radiator. They both cracked in the same place. It makes perfect sense.

p.s. Nothing lasts longer or cools better than a factory Mopar radiator. I'm on 17 and 21 years with my factory radiators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 9 Old 03-31-2020, 12:37 PM
smokeyyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
You bought a cheap radiator instead of a Mopar one, they replaced it under warranty with the same cheap radiator. They both cracked in the same place. It makes perfect sense.

p.s. Nothing lasts longer or cools better than a factory Mopar radiator. I'm on 17 and 21 years with my factory radiators.
Not debating the fact the a OEM would be the best, but correct me if I'm wrong even the replacement MOPAR rads these days aren't made as well? Someone brought it up a bit ago and consensus was because of the age of the WJ they aren't manufactured to the same specs. Unless you can find a NOS rad I don't think a OEM unit these days is going to be the best but just speculating.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #6 of 9 Old 03-31-2020, 01:06 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post

Bet the OEM made today is nothing like the one made 21 years ago. Not even in the same country. Out sourced, to mexico or China.

To get something good you would have to sped a lot more. Like Griffin is 100% USA. OEM JK rads fail fast too. I have a 96 ford has the same rad in it after 24 years, plastic side tank too. Would a OEM last as long? I bet not.
Klarah523 likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-31-2020, 02:10 PM
Freedome04

how about a pic of where the crack is?

2004 WJ Overland Freedom 4.7 H.O 156,000
post #8 of 9 Old 04-09-2020, 10:26 PM
NatosGainz

I had the same problem before I replaced with a all aluminum radiator. Radiator express shouldn't give you a problem in finding a good deal.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-11-2020, 07:27 PM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

I went through 3 Mopar rads in 10 years on my 2005 KJ, which I bought brand-new. They all ended up leaking in the same place. If I'd kept it and the rad had gone again, I'd have gone aftermarket for next one. Mopar just wasn't worth the price premium.

The original factory high-pressure PS hose in my KJ started leaking after just 3 years. After looking at the price of a Mopar replacement, I bought an Edelmann for a fraction of the cost. It looked literally identical to the OEM one, and more the point it was the hose that was in the KJ when I sold it 7 years later.

Similarly, I put a stock-type $100 Silla rad from Radiator Express in my 4.0L ZJ, and it was still working perfectly when I sold it after 5 years.

Long story short, my personal experience is that the reputable aftermarket name brand parts are both much cheaper *and* longer-lived than OEM. The caveat there is that I'd only use Mopar for engine-critical sensors, given how picky Jeeps are about sensors.

Just FWIW, Mopar parts were already being made in Mexico in 2005 when I bought my KJ. I would suspect it actually started much earlier, and the first WJs rolled off the line with numerous Mexican parts in them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in