Radiator for 4.7 HO - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Uniblurb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-26-2020, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
2004WJlover

Radiator for 4.7 HO

Man I am just full of questions about my acquired 4.7L HO. Anyone out there running a performance 4 row radiator on their 4.7 HO with the hydraulic fan? Over heating is THE #1 CAUSE of sludge build up and valve seat dropping in the 4.7.
I want to put this radiator form Amazon in it but not sure if there is room for a 4 row radiator.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...B8VTKMDQ&psc=1

I live in the pit of Hell, Colorado River area in Arizona. I want to keep that new 4.7 I'm putting in cool. I'm in a rural area we have to go 20+ miles to get to anything so short trip under cooling wont be a problem. I run the A/C 12 months a year we are already getting over 80 outside. There is also a 2 row available for the same price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-26-2020, 06:56 PM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

The hydro fan may require some fit mods.

Let me know what you find. My plan was to switch to aluminum next time around.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 06:54 AM
grandboost98

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I was debating on getting a 3 row when replacing my radiator but couldn't find any reviews. So I ended up going with a 2 row and it was a tight fit. I don't know for sure but I imagine you would have to make some modifications to fit a 4 row

89 Wrangler-3.5" HD BDS lift,M.O.R.E HD 5/8" booms on 35" KM2s
99 Cherokee-2 door,5" lift on 35" KM2s
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
72 Chevy Nova-in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

From what I've read on here the 2-row all aluminum radiator should be fine for hot weather climate. Since the 2 row is taller than OE the fan shroud needs to be altered/cut so can't imagine what it would be like to try to cram a 4-row all aluminum radiator in there. Sounds like overkill which will likely cause real fitment problems.

Here's a good thread and from what I've seen @97Mule (Mike) has done an excellent job in installing his aluminum radiator. Maybe he could direct you to his aluminum work on top of his fan shroud which is a work of art. Good luck.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...l#post39623858

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 12:59 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
@Uniblurb .......... " his aluminum work on top of his fan shroud which is a work of art".... I wouldn't say that but thanks UNI. As for the rad on amazon, i would be sceptical about it claiming to be 4 row. It looks exactly like the one i got off of ebay for $240, and its a 2 row. That rad your looking at is 1 in taller because it was made to fit a 99 thru 00 which had the the electric fan backup and the 01 thru 04 4.7 came with a hyd fan.
All that being said it WILL fit with a little extra work.
As long as the hyd fan, water pump and power steering pump are working correctly you should be ok with a stock rad if its in good shape.... if its not, get the amazon rad and have fun........... more water in a cooling system doesn't always mean better cooling.

Let us know what u come up with @2004WJlover

post #6 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 01:37 PM
Redrider02
2002 WJ 

I just did this a few weeks ago. Same radiator. I only had to drill two holes that I tapped for 6x1 metric screws for the lower fan mount and trim the top of the shroud.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 02:13 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Mule View Post
@Uniblurb .......... " his aluminum work on top of his fan shroud which is a work of art".... I wouldn't say that but thanks UNI. As for the rad on amazon, i would be sceptical about it claiming to be 4 row. It looks exactly like the one i got off of ebay for $240, and its a 2 row. That rad your looking at is 1 in taller because it was made to fit a 99 thru 00 which had the the electric fan backup and the 01 thru 04 4.7 came with a hyd fan.
All that being said it WILL fit with a little extra work.
As long as the hyd fan, water pump and power steering pump are working correctly you should be ok with a stock rad if its in good shape.... if its not, get the amazon rad and have fun........... more water in a cooling system doesn't always mean better cooling.

Let us know what u come up with @2004WJlover
You're too modest Mike and I should have known to look in your build thread for the aluminum radiator to fan shroud cap/cover you fabricated.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197...l#post39809305

---------------------------------------------------

@Redrider02 , Are you talking about the link to the radiator on Amazon and is it a 2 row or 4 row radiator? Thanks.

Quote:
I just did this a few weeks ago. Same radiator. I only had to drill two holes that I tapped for 6x1 metric screws for the lower fan mount and trim the top of the shroud.
97Mule likes this.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #8 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 06:12 PM
Redrider02
2002 WJ 

It was a two row.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-27-2020, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
2004WJlover

Yea the 4 row is for a 99-02 so its out. Im getting the all aluminum 2 row that will fit 03,4 & 5 4.7s. Since Im doing a huge ton of work I trust the all aluminum over the plastic crap. Ive had 2 WJ's with 4.0's and an 07 Liberty that needed those junk plastic radiators replaced in under 100K. All 3 cracked at the top near the upper hose. To me a plastic radiator is junk I cant stand plastic radiator tanks. We also have to remove the neighbors rear bumper to get the WJ radiator out, I just don't want that plastic junk in my vehicle.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-02-2020, 06:49 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

I installed one of the Chinese aluminum welded ones a few years ago and wrote it up here. I have great things to say still on it. Perfect.

'02 4.7HO ~222k ml. 2.5" BDS Springs, All new control arms and Addco Sways. 245-70-17.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in