Radar Detector Hardwire - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
mr_user

Radar Detector Hardwire

Hey yall,

I have an extra radar detector lying around and figured I might as well install it in the WJ (they're legal in my state). Anyways, if I'm going to install it I definitely want the clean look of a hardwire setup. Has anyone done this before that could provide some advice, instruction, or insight? Where did you mount it? How and what power source did you tap into?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! It's an '02 WJ.

Matt

Old: '96 ZJ 4.0, 32" MT/R's, 4.5" Lift, Mickey Thompsons, JKS Disco's

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-06-2010, 02:13 AM
mrjaydeeone
2007 WK 

here's mine in my 04 WJ.

unfortunately no pics of back of mirror, but i picked up a autodim rearview mirror from junkyard, and hooked that up and then I tapped into the rear of that for the power for the RD. And it turns on and off with Jeep.
Another option is to mount same, and run wire along headliner and then down pillar and tap into a fuse that shuts off when jeep is off (this way you don't worry about draining battery if forget to turn RD off, plus you get the RD on and off with Jeep) anymore questions lemme know
post #3 of 17 Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 AM
ezflip

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
No pics of mine, but basically the same place but on the other side of the mirror as the poster above. I ran my wires down to the fuse block under the dash and tapped into the radio fuse. I didnt even think about tapping into the mirror....thats a pretty good idea. Either way it will turn on and off with the Jeep.

~James

post #4 of 17 Old 08-06-2010, 02:12 PM
g-off70
2000 WJ 

i added an extra cigarette outlet under the dash drawing power from the cigarette lighter since it is only works with the key on, then ran the wire up through the cal and mounted it to the dash

2000 WJ- midland cb w/PA, KOR leveling kit and shocks, 12 in infitity sub w/ 600 watt infinity amp, magnaflow highflow cat, dynomax cat back exhaust. much more to come
Geoff

WTB: Tow hooks- let me know if you have any
post #5 of 17 Old 08-06-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
mr_user

Awesome, just what I was looking for. I'm not terribly good with electronics so so by "tapping in", what exactly do you mean? The detector has a standard 12V car outlet plug, will I need any additional connectors? Or can I just cut the end of the cord off and wrap the bare wires around a power source?

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated, I like how it looks mounted up there and want to do this this weekend.

Old: '96 ZJ 4.0, 32" MT/R's, 4.5" Lift, Mickey Thompsons, JKS Disco's

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
post #6 of 17 Old 08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
mrjaydeeone
2007 WK 

basically with mine I just scrapped off the sheilding on the power and ground wire behind the mirror and wrapped the power and ground off the RD wire around them respectively and tapped them off. They did make a kit for my RD I found out afterwards that its a new power plug and has "pins" that plug into back of mirror. As far as when I hooked up to fuse book previously, I just pulled a fuse that shuts off with the car and wrapped the positive wire around 1 leg of the fuse and replaced it and then grounded the ground wire.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 PM
straty1987

their was a dale on ebay the other day and was wondering if i should get one or not.

have the detectors actually worked for you guys?

anything to look for when buying one?

this is the deal i came across as the ebay daily deal Cobra Radar / Laser Detector XRS9830 XRS-9830 - eBay (item 190425026235 end time Aug-28-10 14:45:23 PDT)

its legal in NY so ok for me to install just want to know if its worth the money
post #8 of 17 Old 08-07-2010, 07:40 PM
g-off70
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_user View Post
Awesome, just what I was looking for. I'm not terribly good with electronics so so by "tapping in", what exactly do you mean? The detector has a standard 12V car outlet plug, will I need any additional connectors? Or can I just cut the end of the cord off and wrap the bare wires around a power source?

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated, I like how it looks mounted up there and want to do this this weekend.
i just bought a new cigarette lighter from autozone for $3 and just scrapped the shielding off the power wires to the existing cigarette lighter, wrapped around and electrical taped. then i just plugged the 12 volt part from the radar detector into that and ran it up through the dash to the radar detector. simple as that. ill try and get some pics for you

2000 WJ- midland cb w/PA, KOR leveling kit and shocks, 12 in infitity sub w/ 600 watt infinity amp, magnaflow highflow cat, dynomax cat back exhaust. much more to come
Geoff

WTB: Tow hooks- let me know if you have any
post #9 of 17 Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Milewsky80
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straty1987 View Post
their was a dale on ebay the other day and was wondering if i should get one or not.

have the detectors actually worked for you guys?

anything to look for when buying one?

this is the deal i came across as the ebay daily deal Cobra Radar / Laser Detector XRS9830 XRS-9830 - eBay (item 190425026235 end time Aug-28-10 14:45:23 PDT)

its legal in NY so ok for me to install just want to know if its worth the money
I've had a Cobra for 2 years now. I really don't think they are worth it anymore. With the instant on laser that most sates use once you start beeping they already have your speed. I'd save your money.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM
lipripper
2001 WJ 

I live in CA, and my radar detector has saved me thousands of dollars in tickets. When you get hit with the laser, its too late, but at least you will know when to look for the red lights in the rearview mirror. Most Highway patrol use the K band radar detector, city cops mostly x band radar. But with all the budgets increases, (more tickets = more revenue) quite a few agenices are using the K band and laser. The radar detector also alerts you to the "presence" of a patrol car or motorcyle in the area, allowing you to slow down to a respective speed.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipripper View Post
I live in CA, and my radar detector has saved me thousands of dollars in tickets. When you get hit with the laser, its too late, but at least you will know when to look for the red lights in the rearview mirror. Most Highway patrol use the K band radar detector, city cops mostly x band radar. But with all the budgets increases, (more tickets = more revenue) quite a few agenices are using the K band and laser. The radar detector also alerts you to the "presence" of a patrol car or motorcyle in the area, allowing you to slow down to a respective speed.
thanks now i am thinking about getting teh one i posted more

it can detect s 6 radar, 4 laser and 2 safety signals.
Radar signals include X Band, K Band, Ka Superwide, Ku Band, VG-2 and Spectre.
Laser signals include LTI 20-20, Ultra Lyte, ProLaser and ProLaser III. Safety signals include Safety Alert and Strobe Alert.

anyone form the north east have any input if its worth it?
post #12 of 17 Old 08-09-2010, 04:58 PM
lipripper
2001 WJ 

My boss is from Vermont, and vacations there quite a bit, he brings is radar detector on all his trips back east. They work very good on those portable radar/camera devices they are dropping off around town and on highways. Bell has never let me down, look at it this way, a ticket is going to cost you most likely around $300, the top of the line RD are around $300. The RD's last at least 10 years, so do the math. They pay for themselves over and over. But then again.....if you drive the speed limit all the time, its worthless.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-09-2010, 08:13 PM
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipripper View Post
My boss is from Vermont, and vacations there quite a bit, he brings is radar detector on all his trips back east. They work very good on those portable radar/camera devices they are dropping off around town and on highways. Bell has never let me down, look at it this way, a ticket is going to cost you most likely around $300, the top of the line RD are around $300. The RD's last at least 10 years, so do the math. They pay for themselves over and over. But then again.....if you drive the speed limit all the time, its worthless.
lol that's what i am saying t myself, i dont speed since of all the light and stop signs in the NYC but when i do find open area do look around for cops.
around my friend house in NJ i always notice a copy driving far be hind me and follows me for 4 miles so i have to keep it at 30 MPH til they turn away.

i think i might buy the refurbishment one if i have any money left and see how it works outs.
cant get in trouble for it in NY and NJ i know so will be ok in those states
post #14 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 PM
nick62087

1999 WJ 

I bought a Valentine1 back in '07, pricey - but well worth it.

Back to the original topic: it came with a kit to hardwire, I just tapped the cig lighter and ran it up through the dash and out the defroster vent. I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow in the daylight. Total install time was about 15 minutes.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-11-2010, 02:45 AM
hamilton5
2001 WJ 

need to see some stealthy installs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in