Question Replacing WJ Power Steering Hose ? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Muse

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Muse
2004 WJ 

Question Replacing WJ Power Steering Hose ?

I have a 2004 WJ 6 cylinder 4.0L and the high pressure power steering pressure hose sprang a pinhole leak. When the engine is running it will spurt fluid until the reservoir is empty. I've read a few posts here on the forum about hoses developing leaks near crimps but this is not the case with mine. The hole in mine is in a section of the reinforced rubber hose. I've never replaced the hose and I imagine it's original to the jeep.

The good news is that the leak is visible and in some small way I count that as a victory. As you know, sometimes diagnosing the true root cause of a jeep problem can be time consuming and frustrating. But not this time - no way to miss why I have no PS fluid!

I've working on about everything on my jeep but never the PS pump. So before I go "all -in" and buy the MOPAR replacement hose, thought I'd ask for any recommendations or tips on other parts I may need for this job. For example, do you need extra o-rings? Or, if you replace this high pressure hose, is it recommended to replace any of the other PS hoses?

What about the installation itself - any advice to make this easier?

Thanks as always for any advice you can send my way!

Muse

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 AM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

You'll need to replace the O-rings as a matter of routine, although it's possible that the replacement hose will come with them already installed on the fittings.

I also wouldn't bother paying the premium for an OEM hose. I've only had good experiences with Edelmann hoses - I've used them on a KJ and a 4.0L ZJ. In the case of the KJ, which I bought new, the factory original hose started leaking when the Jeep was only 4 years old. I replaced it with an Edelmann which cost a fraction of the price of the OEM hose, and it was still rock solid when I sold the KJ 6 years later.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 AM
Mofugly13
1999 WJ 

Remove your air cleaner box for better access to the fittings. The new hose should come with new prints already installed, or in a small baggies attached to the hose. You must use new rings. Do not reuse the old ones.

If they are in a baggie attached to the hose, you’ll need to fit the mon the ends and they should be a tight fit, and there’s a chance you’ll drop one attempting to get that tiny thing to stretch over the end. It doesn’t have to stretch much at all, but it can be tricky with PS fluid on your fingers. Don’t drop It in the dirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Muse
2004 WJ 

Thanks AVR2 & Mofugly13 for the tips! Will definitely follow your advice.

Muse
post #5 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 01:02 AM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

I've had Edelmann hoses fail within 18 months and start leaking, so anything is possible.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 05:08 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Our local Jeep dealer's parts guy didn't know that the part number had changed, so he told me the Mopar line wasn't available anymore. I bought an Edelmann from an eBay seller, new in the package, for less than $22.00 total. That was last September and it's still good. It came with new O-rings on it.

The advice from AVR2 and Mofugly13 is all good stuff. It took me a minute to figure out that the airbox needed to come out for MUCH easier access. All in all, it wasn't a hard job. I think I used a line wrench for the fitting on the pump, and a regular box wrench for the fitting on the steering box. Spray that one with PB Blaster or Aerokroil before you attempt to break it loose. Good Luck!

2002 Laredo. Baloo.
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #7 of 8 Old 05-23-2019, 04:54 PM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

I tend to lean towards Gates hoses when I replace them. Havent had on fail prematurely yet.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Muse
2004 WJ 

Removed the airbox and replaced the hose with an OEM (plus new o-rings). Everything is working great.

Thanks again for all great advice!

The Muse
Mattyjm and GmanWJ like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in