JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Question About HVAC Issues (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/question-about-hvac-issues-4435665/)

Dragasoni 06-17-2021 01:14 PM

Question About HVAC Issues

I have a 2002 WJ Limited with the dual zone climate control. The previous owner replaced the blend doors for the heat. But the recirculate/fresh air hasn't worked since I bought it and I have almost no air blowing on the passenger side vents. The air blows ok on the drivers side vent and the left middle vent, but the middle right vent and two passenger side vents have almost no air coming through.

Even though it might seem ridiculous, I'm willing to have my mechanic remove the dash and replace EVERYTHING! He estimates this will be about $1200. But I was wondering if anyone has ever done this and if it actually worked? I'd hate to spend that much and have it make little to no difference.

Thanks!

-Eric

leadsled jeep 06-18-2021 08:40 AM

I hate the WJ and the blend doors and especially the head control unit!!! Freakin’ Jeep Heep Engineers or accountants cutting pennies …..

You may have just some foam seals that fell off and blocked a vent inside. Do you have a telescopic camera available? I found some cheap on eBay. But head control units DO go bad and I’ve gone thru SeveN (7). Luckily after the first mine were covered under warrantee.

Dragasoni 06-18-2021 08:53 AM

I sure don’t. I’m willing to pay the $1200~ if that fixes it, but I going to be pissed if there little to no difference in air flow from the vents. There’s plenty to cover that and more in my car fund.

Not to go too far off topic, but I have two vehicles - this 2002 GC Limited and a 2002 Ford Ranger. I can sell them both and buy something better or I can repair the Jeep. We have a 10 month old baby now, so it’s too hot in the Florida heat to use the Jeep and the Ranger isn’t safe enough. So, we’re always having to use my wife’s really nice new car, and when the weather is bad I hate to drive it.

-Eric

jtec 06-18-2021 10:47 AM

the AZC system has a selftest, easy fast FREE, have yu run the test - don't know till you look.

L/S and middle ok, might want to check for obstruction or disconnected 'duct' to R/S.

Dragasoni 06-21-2021 09:38 AM

Yes, I ran the test. I don't recall the exact error, but it had to do with the recirculate door, which I know doesn't work. There are no errors about the blends doors.

My mechanic looked at it and he said the entire dash has to come out; and the only way to do it correctly was to replace HVAC box, including the evaporator and heater core. Basically, he said if he's going to open the dash, I might as well replace everything behind there.

leadsled jeep 06-21-2021 09:51 AM

OoH yeah I had my dash out and goodies replaced. I did the Blen Door metal parts upgrade myself. That was easy. I’ve been thru 7 yes seven head control units - $700 for first one rest under warrantee. Freakin idiot designers. Blew HOT air out pass side while drivers side was blew cold on family vacation trip to MA from TN one hot summer. All sorts of other odd possessed actions too.

Been behaving for the most part once I got a corrected heat unit in. Gggrrrr.

The time now is 03:59 AM.