Quadra Drive binding? - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-17-2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
NWDC

2000 WJ 

Quadra Drive binding?

Hey guys- I'm experiencing a groaning noise coming from the rear end when I turn tightly in either direction. I've read a few posts about binding and also tried to find some videos of other people experiencing this, but I still don't know where it is coming from. Any ideas on what would be causing this?

This guy I bought the vehicle from has a receipt from two months ago of both front an rear differentials getting fluid changed at jiffy lube and they used Penzoil GL5 75W-140, which i've read already has a friction modifier added to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-17-2020, 06:12 PM
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

I get some from a Jeep dealer and put more in. In my experience, it needs a whole bottle in both diffs. No telling how much was in the oil they put in. Basically, if itís binding on sharp turns, you need more..

This is in AWD right? Not in 4 low...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NWDC likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-17-2020, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
NWDC

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoweborama View Post
I get some from a Jeep dealer and put more in. In my experience, it needs a whole bottle in both diffs. No telling how much was in the oil they put in. Basically, if itís binding on sharp turns, you need more..

This is in AWD right? Not in 4 low...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah its happening in AWD. I actually pulled the fill plugs on both diffs yesterday to check diff fluid level and it was right where it was supposed to be so maybe I need to just add more friction modifier like you said. The rear diff fill hole is right up next to the gas tank, any suggestion on how to get fluid in there?

post #4 of 25 Old 02-17-2020, 07:44 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDC View Post
Yeah its happening in AWD. I actually pulled the fill plugs on both diffs yesterday to check diff fluid level and it was right where it was supposed to be so maybe I need to just add more friction modifier like you said. The rear diff fill hole is right up next to the gas tank, any suggestion on how to get fluid in there?
Jack it up from the "frame" and it will lower the differential enough to access the fill hole. The other option is to use a hand pump or 60cc syringe.
NWDC likes this.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-17-2020, 10:04 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Did you double check the transfer case?
NWDC likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #6 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 08:42 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
... they used Penzoil GL5 75W-140, which i've read already has a friction modifier added to it.
It does, but not nearly the amount that VariLok diffs like in order to be quiet. The clutches in them are pretty aggressive. The extra friction modifier takes a while to work its way into the clutches, but the noises will fade away within a few days of driving (or you can drive around in figure 8's in a parking lot for 5-10 minutes to speed things along).

Also note that in 20-25K miles the noise will return, to remind you that it's time to change the lube again.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 09:30 AM
bluepen61
2004 WJ 

Garage
You have to become quite anal when dealing with shops when having your diff's and transfer case oils changed. The oils are expensive. Replace the oils at a competent shop stressing Quadra Drive. Both front and rear diffs are limited slip.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
NWDC likes this.

bluepen61
2004 WJ Limited
2015 WK2 Limited
post #8 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
NWDC

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Did you double check the transfer case?
Yeah I actually just changed the rear TC seal yesterday on my NV 247 and filled it with new 247 TC fluid. I didn't add any friction modifier to that though, didn't think it needed it. The binding noise was occurring before and after that TC fluid swap so I assumed that it is something else.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
NWDC

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2004wj View Post
Jack it up from the "frame" and it will lower the differential enough to access the fill hole. The other option is to use a hand pump or 60cc syringe.
Good call, I should have thought to raise it up. Will do that next time i'm working on the diffs-
post #10 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
NWDC

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
It does, but not nearly the amount that VariLok diffs like in order to be quiet. The clutches in them are pretty aggressive. The extra friction modifier takes a while to work its way into the clutches, but the noises will fade away within a few days of driving (or you can drive around in figure 8's in a parking lot for 5-10 minutes to speed things along).

Also note that in 20-25K miles the noise will return, to remind you that it's time to change the lube again.
Thanks for the info, is this the right friction modifier or is there specific types of friction modifier for each differential?

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar...SIN=B000TTEX8W
post #11 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 09:52 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
It does, but not nearly the amount that VariLok diffs like in order to be quiet.
x2.

I tried some of the Valvoline 75W-140 "with friction modifier" thinking I wouldn't need the Jeep FM and had the exact same issue. Go to the Jeep dealer, buy a bottle of their FM, and squirt it in there. I use about half a bottle in the rear.
Jiffy Lube is a great place for oil changes if you really just don't care much about your car, because they don't either and it shows.
wildbill23c and NWDC like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #12 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 11:31 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Thanks for the info, is this the right friction modifier or is there specific types of friction modifier for each differential?

[URL="https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-4318060AC-Limited-Additive/dp/B000TTEX8W/[/URL]
That's the stuff. The manual specs 4 ounces in the rear diff and 2.5 ounces in the front diff (the front diff holds much less lube than the rear). Call your local Jeep dealer before clicking add-to-cart. Sometimes they have decent prices on that stuff.
NWDC likes this.
post #13 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 11:38 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Just thought of another item that is VERY important to keep a QuadraDrive rig engaging all 4 wheels when needed. You need to always do 5-tire rotations, keeping the spare in the rotation, to keep tire wear even. I rotate mine every 5K miles. You also need to make sure that all of the tires the same size (and preferably even the same brand/model, since not all "marked" sizes are exactly the same). Running with (even slightly) different diameter tires on a VariLok equipped axle can cause the diff to always slightly engage at higher speeds. This causes the clutches to drag and wears them out quickly (they're trying like mad to make the slower tire catch up). The same thing can happen to the progressive coupler inside the t-case if you don't keep the front and rear tire diameters matched. Mine just rolled over to 156K last night and the clutches still engage fast and hard.
Bigrigr and NWDC like this.
post #14 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
NWDC

2000 WJ 

Quote:
That's the stuff. The manual specs 4 ounces in the rear diff and 2.5 ounces in the front diff (the front diff holds much less lube than the rear). Call your local Jeep dealer before clicking add-to-cart. Sometimes they have decent prices on that stuff.
For sure, i've actually picked up some other fluid from the dealership and is most definitely cheaper for fluids when factoring in shipping prices. I've found that some of the Mopar replacement parts are overpriced at the dealership but its always worth shopping around for.
post #15 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
NWDC

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Just thought of another item that is VERY important to keep a QuadraDrive rig engaging all 4 wheels when needed. You need to always do 5-tire rotations, keeping the spare in the rotation, to keep tire wear even. I rotate mine every 5K miles. You also need to make sure that all of the tires the same size (and preferably even the same brand/model, since not all "marked" sizes are exactly the same). Running with (even slightly) different diameter tires on a VariLok equipped axle can cause the diff to always slightly engage at higher speeds. This causes the clutches to drag and wears them out quickly (they're trying like mad to make the slower tire catch up). The same thing can happen to the progressive coupler inside the t-case if you don't keep the front and rear tire diameters matched. Mine just rolled over to 156K last night and the clutches still engage fast and hard.
That's a good point. I'm planning to lift and put new tires/wheels on in the next few months so I will likely just wait for that.

I do plan to use the WJ to go up to the mountains out here, in snowy conditions, and i'm wondering if I should chain up all 4 tires in that case if needed? I read in the owners manual to only chain up the rears, but I figured that was considering at stock height, the front tires don't have much clearance from the wheels wells and fenders. Either way, I don't plan to spend a significant amount of time driving with chains but still don't want to mess up the diff clutches-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in