Pulled over by the Police - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-07-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
HoggyBear

Pulled over by the Police

So I was driving one night and I spotted a police car following me through my rear view mirror. I was wondering why this cop was following, I was going the speed limit, stopped at all the stop signs, didn't run any red lights and my headlights were on. Then it hit me " It must be because my exhaust is too loud". I took off the muffler and put on a straight pipe recently, because I like the sound and now I was getting ready to pay for doing that. So after about a 3 minutes of this cop following me, the cop finally turns on his red and blues and I pull over. I immediately turned off my engine and rolled down my window. I had my drivers license and registration in my hand ready to go. The officer approached my vehicle and said " Sir, You know both your taillights are out". I said to the officer what do you mean I only had an issue with the passenger side and I just fixed that side. So then the officer tells me that my taillights do come on when I brake, but when I'm driving only the rear window light stays on and the taillights on sides go out. So asked the officer if I could see what he was talking about. He said sure and I got out my Jeep and went to the back to see what he was talking about. Sure enough the taillights weren't on. The officer then asked me, do you have your vehicle headlights set on Auto. I said yes. He then told me take the headlights off the auto setting. So I did. As soon as I clicked the switch from auto to regular, the taillights came on. The officer informed me that some late model car turn off the tail lights when set on auto. He ran my license then let me go on my way. I never knew about taillights going out like that. Does anybody know if there is a fix for this or just the way Jeep WJs are designed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-07-2019, 08:02 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

im on auto,99 wj. almost daily i back up in a closed mall and check all lights. all are good.? paranoia? yeah, i dont want a $100 fine for a $1 bulb
btw if i see a patrol behind me i instantly put my right turn sig on and turn. if he follows i pull off and park
and mess with my phone.
i want ZERO connections with police, NONE...
jeeepguy, Ravenbar, downs and 1 others like this.

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #3 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 01:37 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I do the same thing.
I maintain a P.O. Box at the local Post Office.
I check it twice a week.
They have a big window in front so when I go there I back in to give all the lights back there a once over.

post #4 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 10:05 AM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
I applaud the police officer for his actions to troubleshoot your issue.

On the other hand, unlike others' comments above, I just don't take the time to check my brake and tail lights. Guess I should change that bad habit.
Michaelj51 likes this.

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i
post #5 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 12:03 PM
its_burney

Have you replaced your headlight switch here lately?
post #6 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 01:20 PM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

My 2000 is always on Auto Headlight and my brake /running lights work normal.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 09:17 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I do weekly PMs. Tyipcally Sat or Sunday. Check fluids, lights, belt, ect ect.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #8 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
HoggyBear

@its_burney I haven't replaced the headlight switch didn't know there was anything wrong with til the cop pulled me over. I'm thinking there might be a short when the headlights are switched to AUTO and maybe that's why the tailights don't stay on. Its like the cops said the taillights come-on when I brake but turn off completely while I'm driving. But when there not set on AUTO the taillights stay on wether I'm braking or not.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 01:21 AM
BLaCK_WK
2005 WK 

Garage
My old 04 wj had issues with the tail lights continually going out or bursting. I didn't want to buy new light housings or the whole light assembly. I pulled out the tail light housing and notice the metal "prongs" which connect to the metal on the light assembly had wear or had been getting too hot, causing the lights to over heat and burst or not function entirely. Instead I pulled up the metal tabs on the light housing enough to fit a piece of tin foil from the bottom of the prong of the light housing to the top (not on the light itself but the housing). Never had a issue after that.

Not sure if this will fix your issue but hope it helps someone.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-10-2019, 11:01 AM
its_burney

i was having issues with my lights before due to the auto headlight switch. took it out and replaced it and bam it worked. i would hit the local pick and pull and grab one.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-10-2019, 03:09 PM
X-Hibition

1999 WJ 

How dark out was it?

1999 Jeep WJ currently sporting four Yakima bars with many accessories...
post #12 of 16 Old 12-10-2019, 06:07 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In the old days, if your lights were off your dash was dark and the tail light fuse also fed the dash lights. Now with full time dash illumination, that visual clue is missing.

I once was involved in a small accident with a woman who had her lights on auto, but they weren't on (so it was significantly her fault). That cop commented that you can't really trust auto, he's seen it before.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #13 of 16 Old 12-10-2019, 07:29 PM
CJDunerider

I have about 600K mile on 3 different WJ's. Have always used the Auto position, Have never had that. I did have a weird one in a similar vein. When I turned on the left blinker and hit the brakes, the brake light would come on, but the turn signal would go out. Also when I hit the brakes without the turn signal on the indicator on the dash would light very dim. Re-seating the rear turn signal bulb fixed the issue.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-10-2019, 07:29 PM
farmboy666

Are you saying the taillights are coming on or the brake lights are coming on when you brake? Sounds like your switch is just affecting your running lights.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-10-2019, 07:58 PM
deandec
1999 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons View Post
My 2000 is always on Auto Headlight and my brake /running lights work normal.
x2.

Both 99 WJ and 05 WK

Dean
99 WJ Limited and 05 WK Limited 4.7L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in