Problem with transmission shifting - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-28-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
kdpearson03
2003 WJ 

Problem with transmission shifting

Hi all,

I have a 2003 WJ 4.0 with 180k miles with a 2" lift and 265/75/16 tires on stock rims.

Close to the end of an 800 mile trip my WJ would not start out in low gear any more. From a stop it only wants to use 3rd. I can manually shift to low and manually shift through the gears OK. It also will shift up from 3rd on it's own automatically.

I checked for codes and it has not thrown any new ones. I do have a persistent code for an O2 heater voltage but I've had that for over a year...

The only thing I've done since this problem started is change trans fluid and filter. Fluid was taking on a brownish tint from starting out in 3rd... No abnormal metal shavings in pan.

I'm stumped... I've read about problems with governors and solenoids but they seem to all come with codes. I have no codes. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-28-2017, 11:56 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

Are you using a scanner? Key trick is not going to show all codes.

I would ck OSS ......thats a SWAG without the code check. But a scanner is step 1.

PS you did use ATF4 and only ATF4 not universal one type fits all?
post #3 of 11 Old 10-28-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
kdpearson03
2003 WJ 

Yes, checked codes with a cheapie handheld scanner then again with a computer scanner when the first one had no codes. On Jeeps I always use ATF4.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-28-2017, 09:29 PM
ekinley98
2004 WJ 

Garage
Shot in the dark but something easy to check. Check the kickdown link on the throttle body and look at a scanner to see if your TPS is matching your input.

Also make sure you are checking the level when the trans is warmed up and you cycle all the gears then into neutral to get a correct level.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-29-2017, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
kdpearson03
2003 WJ 

jtec and ekinley98,

Thanks for the ideas! I will definitely check out the TPS with the scanner.

In my searching I found that a lot of the symptoms match a failed governor solenoid/transducer (except I don't have codes) so I may go ahead and replace them. Cascade Trans has a kit with updated solenoid, transducer, OSS, an upgraded accumulator spring, filter and gaskets for a real good price.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-29-2017, 09:02 AM
86cj74.2L

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpearson03
jtec and ekinley98, Thanks for the ideas! I will definitely check out the TPS with the scanner. In my searching I found that a lot of the symptoms match a failed governor solenoid/transducer (except I don't have codes) so I may go ahead and replace them. Cascade Trans has a kit with updated solenoid, transducer, OSS, an upgraded accumulator spring, filter and gaskets for a real good price.
the governor pressure sensor or the pressure regulator is where I'd start first if the kick down (TV) cable is ok and not sticking.

On the 42 trans mopar made it electronic shift by putting a pressure regulator in the trans that acts like the kick down cable would in the older 999-904 versions of that trans.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-29-2017, 05:50 PM
wsar10
2003 WJ 

^^ Agreed...
Just went through this... Often times its one of or a combination of the following, governor pressure sensor, governor pressure solenoid or trans harness. It is a common kit you can get on Ebay, requires dropping the pan and you will need a torque wrench capable of in lbs.

However this did not fix mine, had to replace the trans..... I think I actually had a snap ring failure that caused my issue.

QUOTE=billzcat1;wsar10 is right on point on this oil thread - as usual. Anyone reading this would be well-served taking his advice.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
post #8 of 11 Old 10-29-2017, 05:56 PM
wsar10
2003 WJ 

What pissed me off the most is that I have OCD with maintenance.... And it still failed! My trans was serviced above and beyond factory spec since new. Filter and fluid every 50k mi, I also did my radiator as preventive maintenance around 75k mi, which means the trans cooler was changed. Never towed with it, never beat it.....

QUOTE=billzcat1;wsar10 is right on point on this oil thread - as usual. Anyone reading this would be well-served taking his advice.

post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
kdpearson03
2003 WJ 

Thanks folks!

I will order some parts and post the outcome.

2004, 2003 WJ Special Edition
2004,2003, 2000 Jeep WJ Laredo
1996 Jeep XJ Forest Service Green
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2017, 09:32 AM
86cj74.2L

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10
What pissed me off the most is that I have OCD with maintenance.... And it still failed! My trans was serviced above and beyond factory spec since new. Filter and fluid every 50k mi, I also did my radiator as preventive maintenance around 75k mi, which means the trans cooler was changed. Never towed with it, never beat it.....
did your OCD include adjusting the bands if your trans was the 42? That's almost as important as the other trans maintenance.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-30-2017, 12:00 PM
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
did your OCD include adjusting the bands if your trans was the 42? That's almost as important as the other trans maintenance.
It was indeed the 42RE. I did not adjust the bands.....
I had the bands adjusted in 2 out 6, 42RE's, I lost the 2 that were adjusted and only 1 that was not adjusted.
Its something that I am afraid I will mess up myself, and every-time I have had someone else do it it never shifted right afterword with failure a short time after. I do most anything myself, except trans work beyond the valve body or trans adjustment. I understand the science behind most every vehicle system, however I just don't know enough about transmissions to truly feel comfortable inside of them.

I would be interested to know how many who had bands adjusted, failed... VS not having it done. Might make for good poll here??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in