1Likes
  • 1 Post By PERK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-26-2020, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
WICruiser
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Power Windows

Just a post to help someone else if they have the same problem as I did.

The PO had locked the passenger rear door window up due to a regulator failure (not uncommon on these). When I replaced the regulator the window would go down, but not up using the rear door switch, but no go either up or down using the driver's door master switch.

After confirming the motor worked correctly by powering directly from a battery, switching polarity for up and down I found that there was no power getting to the up connection at the rear door connector.

The problem was a broken wire in the passenger front door boot area, once the wire was repaired the window works correctly from either the driver's door or rear door switch.

The wires in the door boot area (both front and rear) were not in very good shape. A lot of cracked insulation and non-related broken wires.

WICruiser
1992 Wrangler YJ Project (4 cyl, 5 speed man - going to SBC, 4 or 5 speed man)
1985 Porsche 928 Project
Chilton WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-26-2020, 08:30 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Well done! thanks for the tip

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #3 of 10 Old 02-26-2020, 03:47 PM
civilizedgrit
2002 WJ 

What color wire? Mine just did this this afternoon; took off the neg batt terminal and could then use the driver master to shut it. Might this be the relay?

post #4 of 10 Old 02-26-2020, 03:56 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

window and door lock problems are wires 99.99999% of time

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #5 of 10 Old 02-26-2020, 04:48 PM
PERK
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
window and door lock problems are wires 99.99999% of time
Well...dont know if I agree with that....I have an '04 I bought new with 170,000 on it, never had a lock or wire issue but, have replaced all window regulators atleast once.
YeepinBlue likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-27-2020, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
WICruiser
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
In my case the broken wire was grey in color. Per the wiring diagram that is associated with the rear passenger window up direction.

This is the second 04 I have experience with and both have had window regulator failures; one front and one rear but both on the passenger side. The rear door wiring harness from one was in great shape so I used it to replace the one in the current vehicle. I may have been able to also use the front door chassis to door harness but it disappears into the dash and I didn't want to dig into where to disconnect it so I just spliced in a section of wire to repair the break.

WICruiser
1992 Wrangler YJ Project (4 cyl, 5 speed man - going to SBC, 4 or 5 speed man)
1985 Porsche 928 Project
Chilton WI
post #7 of 10 Old 02-27-2020, 08:42 AM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

Agreed that the regulators fail fairly often - especially once they get past 10 years old. It's the plastic brackets and gears that become brittle because of the type of cheap material used - probably bottom-of-the-barrel ABS. The motors themselves would likely go decades because they don't really get much of a workout.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NP242
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #8 of 10 Old 02-29-2020, 01:03 AM
wayneharropson
2004 WJ 

Have an 04 WJ with 77k miles all windows still work great except for the ghost that keeps (intermittently) rolling down the driver's side rear all the way when I only want it cracked. When it happens it acts like the driver's door acts naturally, just not every time.
He wasn't particularly spooky when he would cause the window to continue down when I only wanted it cracked, I was willing to tolerate that because I could just re-adjust it.
I'm writing today because for the first time today the window rolled down while I sat at a stop light with no one in the car and my hand off the controls. Just tell me it's some supernatural trickster so I can continue to whistling and tricking him into thinking it doesn't bother me. Of course I suppose you could provide a rational answer, but what fun would that be?
post #9 of 10 Old 02-29-2020, 08:04 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Ghost Adventures here we come. I hate to break it to ya, but your Jeep IS haunted. I just hope its the Casper version, not the Demon version. Ha Ha

I have never heard of this personally, but i gotta assume you have some broken wires in the door hinges making and breaking a connection. Thats where i would start, pretty common problem.

Next, would be the drivers door module itself.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #10 of 10 Old 03-01-2020, 08:51 AM
Jaxson
2004 XJ Cherokee 

I have had dr wire problems with my xj Cherokees, causing window and lock failures, replacing one wire at a time to fix. My WJs have had more door wire problems, but with a Wire kit, pretty easy to have a permanent fix. The switches are a problem too. A drivers window control can keep the passenger sw from working, because the passenger has to go through the drives sw. These little switches have close contacts that fail to make and can stick. I would would not be surprised if a spring failure caused an intermittently window roll down on it own.

96, 97 & 99 XJ & 2- 04 GC WJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in