Power steering pump leak... from here? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Uniblurb
  • 1 Post By TheJeepSkate

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-22-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
TheJeepSkate

Power steering pump leak... from here?

Before I tear the power steering pump apart and find out this can't go together again, has anyone fixed a leak from the power steering pump where the hose flange attaches? Does this flange just unscrew? (Yes, I replaced the o-ring on the hose first and it's not leaking.) Thanks for your advice.

Attached Thumbnails
20200522_204218_1590194780943.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2020, 06:58 PM
slickrock steve

Almost sounds like a micro thin crack in the housing. Guess the high pressure would push the fluid out when the engine is running. Have you tried some stop leak? I say this because it appears you may have to pull the pump, and replace it. That might get you by until you can afford to, or find a way to stop it permanently.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-22-2020, 08:08 PM
Chris Radley

You can remove your line from the pump with a wrench and if there is enough room remove that pressure valve with a Wrench as well and replace the O-ring On the pressure valve and reinstall. You my not have enough room to access which would then require removal of the power steering pump from the Jeep.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-22-2020, 09:03 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yeah, that's the flow control valve fitting in the pump that the high pressure line fitting screws into. In the below thread you can see it removed with the o-ring on it which likely needs replaced. And note the 4 holes with larger hole in the end for the correct OE one.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...l#post37033330

Don't get rid of that valve unless there's a major problem with it. A reman pump may not come with the same one if you ever need to replace it. A parts store should be able to match up that o-ring if you take it in and good luck.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 05-23-2020, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
TheJeepSkate

That's perfect, thanks. I was hoping there was an o-ring but wasn't sure what would spill out if I unscrewed that. I did take the pump out and I've been replacing all of the o-rings I've found. This would be the last so it's hopefully it. For anyone who would do something like this, I bought an o-ring assortment kit from Harbor Freight and it's been incredibly worth it to avoid driving back and forth to the hardware store. Thanks again.
JeepRonibo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in