Power seat gear repair kit, any experience? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-20-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Upside
2002 WJ 

Power seat gear repair kit, any experience?

Unfortunately my driver's seat is stuck in a bad position. The seat wasn't moving back and forth properly so I took it out and lubricated the horizontal jack screws. Of course this didn't fix it and the seat jammed again.

Unfortunately it's all the way forward.

I swapped motors between the driver's and passenger's side with no change. It seems the plastic gears inside the seat drives are broken.

Has anyone installed one of these repair kits from "Two Men One Garage" on eBay? I looked and I can't even see how the drive containing the gear can be taken apart. I was going to take it apart to get the gear chunks out so I could at least move the seat to a drivable position.

On the plus side I did repair my seat foam and mod the seat for another inch of rear travel.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-21-2015, 01:37 AM
86cj74.2L

2004 WJ 

I bought seats on CL and used one of the motors to replace the up down worm gear. Wasn't difficult. Didn't do the front back.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-21-2015, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Upside
2002 WJ 

Yeah my local junkyard sells the seat bases for about $25. I know the ZJ bases fit the WJ once you swap the mounting brackets and are more stout. Does the ZJ also use plastic drive gears? I don't really want to be doing this again in two months.

post #4 of 21 Old 10-21-2015, 09:35 AM
Ghost_5oh
2000 WJ 

I actually started a thread the other day with a link to their page. I have used them for my Mustang and the parts are better than anything you will find at a junk yard. Chances are the part you are removing that's just as old as the one you are replacing will fail the same way too. Plus I don't know how junk yards are in your area but over here in Miami they are hot as hell and full of mosquito's. So fighting to get a seat out that is stuck in one position because there is no power is just too much of a PITA for me when I can just order a new part to my door. As far as replacement instructions, someone actually did a whole write-up on replacing that gear. I remember seeing it while searching for something else.

http://www.2men1garage.net/Jeep-Gran...004-Parts.html

2014 Lexus GS350F Sport
2013 GT/CS Mustang
2000 Laredo 4x4 Grand Cherokee
1994 GT Mustang
post #5 of 21 Old 10-21-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Upside
2002 WJ 

I just found the instructions on their website for getting the drives out of the seat track. It makes sense how to get it apart and I should be able to do it pretty quickly. You're absolutely right about installing old parts in the seat. If I didn't intend to keep the Jeep for a while or if I had more time for a trip to the junkyard I could see installing a used seat base. Basically none of these Jeeps have had their seat tracks maintained and I know mine didn't have a lot of wear. The plastic must break due to age as much as miles moving the seat back and forth.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-29-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Upside
2002 WJ 

I finished this fix today. The new jack screw drives were easy to install and work perfectly. Both of the old plastic gears were cracked and one had stripped teeth. I imagine the gear cracks which spreads the tooth spacing and strips the teeth off.

I highly recommend the kit to fix a jammed seat.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-30-2015, 05:28 AM
Ghost_5oh
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upside View Post
I finished this fix today. The new jack screw drives were easy to install and work perfectly. Both of the old plastic gears were cracked and one had stripped teeth. I imagine the gear cracks which spreads the tooth spacing and strips the teeth off.

I highly recommend the kit to fix a jammed seat.
Glad to hear it went smoothly.

2014 Lexus GS350F Sport
2013 GT/CS Mustang
2000 Laredo 4x4 Grand Cherokee
1994 GT Mustang
post #8 of 21 Old 12-04-2016, 08:42 PM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

Hows this holding up? My drivers seat died today.

Also, how are these better? Aren't they still just plastic gears?
post #9 of 21 Old 12-04-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Upside
2002 WJ 

Still works perfectly.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-04-2016, 09:42 PM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

Somehow I lost everything in one go. Front back and up and down.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-04-2016, 09:59 PM
86cj74.2L

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg3205
Somehow I lost everything in one go. Front back and up and down.
that seems more power or controller problem than 3 motors failing at the same time.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-04-2016, 10:07 PM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

No, I get about 1" of forward and backwards and then it jams. Up and down is jammed completely. I can hear it engage. I bet it tried to move into a preset position with a bag behind it in the way or something. I'm really careful about leaving space back there but it's not really on my wife's radar.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-04-2016, 11:16 PM
86cj74.2L

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg3205
No, I get about 1" of forward and backwards and then it jams. Up and down is jammed completely. I can hear it engage. I bet it tried to move into a preset position with a bag behind it in the way or something. I'm really careful about leaving space back there but it's not really on my wife's radar.
I bought left and right seats from a partout and took all the motors and heaters out for spare parts. Sold the frames to people that theirs were cracked. Driving the roll pins out to remove the motors is the hardest part of the worm gear replacement or motor replacement.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-05-2016, 09:04 AM
cdplayer
2002 WJ 

Wj rear motor gear parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
I bought left and right seats from a partout and took all the motors and heaters out for spare parts. Sold the frames to people that theirs were cracked. Driving the roll pins out to remove the motors is the hardest part of the worm gear replacement or motor replacement.
I agree on removing the roll pins. My shop CD does not cover seat motor removal. My passenger seat on my 02 Limited will move forward and back no problem. I can raise and lower the front of the seat no problem. Lost ability to raise and lower rear of the seat. Motor works but nothing else.
Went to disassemble one at junk yard to see why my seat failed.
In the rain, something we have not seen much for some time, I worked from inside the Jeep to figure out what I needed to do to get the rear motor out.
I was not prepared to remove the two roll pins. So I used the tools you see in the first picture.
There are two roll pins positioned as seen in the third picture. One is solid. Easier to get at. I used a small Phillips screw driver as a punch and a pair of pliers as the hammer to get it out. It ruined the screw driver. But it was stripped anyway. The other pin is an actual roll pin. Hollow in the middle. I used the socket tool, since it had a solid tip and was small enough to reach the pin through an access hole. It got the pin started but was not long enough to push it out. I used the pliers to cut the tip of a finish nail I found in a truck nearby to get the pin out.
As hard as I tried I could not unscrew the large plastic gear and screw out of the steel rod. The other end of the screw had a metal stop that would not screw out of the rod far enough for me to attempt to remove it. Still not sure if it is pressed onto the screw or unscrews itself. So I recovered the assembly.
Since I have not disassembled my own seat yet I recovered a spare short plastic screw and the outer plastic screw housing just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
IM001093.jpg   IM001096.jpg   IM001097.jpg  
post #15 of 21 Old 12-12-2016, 12:45 AM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

Finally had time to remove the seat. Nothing was broken. Probably jammed from wear, excess play and old grease.

Packed it with new bearing grease and good as new.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in