• 2 Post By Shadownwpa
  • 1 Post By HarryH3

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-20-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Garage
Photobucket 3rd Party Photo Embed Information

There are still questions popping up around the forum so I figured I'd consolidate some information regarding the Photobucket ransom.... err... hostage... err... 3rd Party Embedding issue. There, I knew I'd get it right.

In short, Photobucket wasn't making enough (or perhaps any) money off of 3rd party embedded photos so to resolve this issue, they disabled 3rd party embedding and are offering a ~$400/yr ransom to allow users to post their pictures on forums.

First off, straight from Photobucket:

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009616207-My-account-has-been-restricted-due-to-3rd-party-hosting-Are-my-photos-safe-
My account has been restricted due to 3rd party hosting. Are my photos safe?

Yes! All your photos are still available by logging into your Photobucket Account. Photobucket has only restricted the ability to view your photos on 3rd party sites.

To upgrade your account or view our competitive subscription plans, click here.
Photobucket has NOT removed the photos. They are accessible on their website. If you have your photos "backed up" on Photobucket, I believe you can download them by album if you're concerned about losing them completely.

If you've been a paying customer in good standing yet find your photos were still disabled, contact Photobucket:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
My photos are back. As a paying customer in good standing, PhotoBucket has in their terms that they won't take away 3rd party hosting until Dec 2018, as long as you have a valid, paid account (not the $400 crap). I emailed them asking why, as a paid customer, my photos are gone. I received a response basically stating "Oh, that's weird... I'll have tech look at why your 3rd party hosting was disabled. I've re-enabled it for you."

Something to keep in mind for those who have paid for the extra storage/bandwidth...
If you want to sift through more information or discuss the situation, here's kind of a "mega-thread": Held Hostage By Photobucket

Now, while I haven't tested these, there are reports of a couple workarounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Opihi59 said I should post a thread for this, So here goes.

I found a little relief for those of you that are blocked on PB. If you use Google Chrome, you can click on the link below. It will give you an option to add it to Chrome. Then when you click on a thread that has pics blocked by PBuckit, you'll be able to see all the pics on the thread. But you won't be able to "Save Picture As" to your PC, and a link won't work. You can "Copy Picture" to your PC though, then open it up with something like MSPaint.

Here is the link for Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...er-info-dialog

Also today I found a link for Firefox. It's basically the same thing, just add it to your Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...otobucket-fix/

I haven't found a fix for my phone yet. Maybe someone can find one. Someone said that the Chrome one works on their Mac.

These may not be a permanent fix, but they are working for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Update: The Firefox add on didn't work real well. It only opened 3 pics. I updated it with a better one. Here it is again.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...otobucket-fix/
If there is any more information you feel may be helpful, let me know and I'll edit it into this first post.

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-20-2017, 09:17 AM
alfaitalia

2004 WJ 

In the mean time view the site through Firefox and install this little app. Then as if by magic all the nasty grey and blue PB boxes will be visible again!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ix/?src=search

Or look at this:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...M=VIRE&PC=APPL

EDIT....Just realised I'm repeating some of what's above.....that will teach me to read things more thoroughly!!

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem!
post #3 of 14 Old 11-20-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Garage

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:

post #4 of 14 Old 01-01-2018, 10:49 AM
Unoriginable
2003 WJ 

For Chrome a good extension that solves this issue is called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix".

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg

03 WJ 4.0 Laredo | 3.5" IRO | 31x10.5r15 |
post #5 of 14 Old 01-23-2018, 02:02 PM
XAQ1
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginable View Post
For Chrome a good extension that solves this issue is called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix".

Thanks! This works great!
post #6 of 14 Old 01-28-2018, 01:52 AM
rrxjeeper71

2004 WJ 

whats the alternative?
If we have pics to attach to our threads, who provides third party hosting?
just curious

2001 XJ Sport
3.5 RC lift
31" BFG
post #7 of 14 Old 01-29-2018, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Garage
You can always upload your photos here to JF.

Besides that, there are a few people are using. Imgur is one that comes to mind.

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #8 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 01:24 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Good point Chris on uploading photos to your JF account/gallery.

My old laptop crashed a couple weeks ago and lost tons of photos which weren't saved to my external hard drive. Smart move on my part.

I never lost any photos in all my forum write-ups since had saved them to my JF gallery. And can now copy/move them to my new laptop or new external hard drive. Nice they were saved!

PS. my IT professional son-in-law recommends "Dropbox" for storing photos. He installed it on my new laptop but only "Dropbox Basic" up to 2GB is free while "Dropbox Plus" will cost you.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

post #9 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginable View Post

I clicked on your link and read the reviews. There were several that made a comment similar to this: " this plugin secretly injects this user's Amazon affiliate ID into Amazon URLs. AVOID"

You may want to try the Chrome link that is in my quote instead.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #10 of 14 Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 AM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Looks like this didn't turn out the way Photobucket intended, which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Can't find a link to a direct article, but someone on another forum I frequent received an email notice from Photobucket stating that they reversing their policy change.

Sure enough, I just checked my build thread and previously blocked photos are showing up again.

All my newest stuff has been posted via imgur but I'll be taking this opportunity to pull the rest of my 'must haves' off Photobucket and then dumping the account.

Gone:
'00 Limited
'03 Laredo

Current

'14 Overland EcoDiesel

Quote:
Old Jeeps never die, they just fade away.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-18-2018, 09:07 AM
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I wouldn't feel bad for them if this ended their company. At all.
Jeeples and GhostJeepWJ like this.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/shadownwpa-91ish-yj-build-thread-1857154/
post #12 of 14 Old 05-18-2018, 11:15 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
I wouldn't feel bad for them if this ended their company. At all.
Join the club. They deserve to be unemployed for pulling such a boneheaded move.
Jeeples likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-18-2018, 03:38 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Doesn't matter they got rid of their CEO, and just greatly lowered their rates, while hopefully the company is doomed!

From the Denver Business Journal where Photobucket's home base is.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...-millions.html

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

post #14 of 14 Old 05-18-2018, 03:56 PM
11B-33T

2016 WK 

They went from 50 to 10 employees in a year thanks to that dumb azz ex-CEO. SMDH

11B-33T
- 2016 WK2 Grand Cherokee Limited
- 2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD
- 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee SE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in