PCM testing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2016, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
wsrivers
2000 WJ 

PCM testing

Please excuse the long thread. I have a 2000 GC Laredo and I can turn it on with no problem. Now the problem is keeping it running. As long as I give it gas it will continue to run. Now if I take my foot off of the gas it will cut off. Looking online and I'm thinking that its the PCM. A friend of mine doesn't think its the computer. So I guess my question is...is there a way to test the computer so I can either scratch that off the list or replace it. If it needs to be replaced can I buy and swap one from a junkyard or do I need to have one programmed? Thanks any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2016, 03:11 AM
losttech
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I am having a similar problem mine will run fine for about 30 minutes and get to temp then shutoff clean no sputters just off.
If I wait 10-15 minutes it will come back on very strange also my E-fan is not working at all but I have the clutch fan also not sure if the 2000 had the e-fan or the power steering pump fan or both.

Been tinkering with it for a few days messing with relays and the like and have come across many suggestion here is my thread here.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...n-off-3806674/

I have been narrowing things down to the ECM maybe but I am getting lots of different possibles Crank position sensor CPS.

Things I do know the PCM or ECM as some call it same thing I think it has to be reprogrammed with your vin or it wont work.
You could pull one from a junker but still need to find someone to program it.
I have no idea how to test it some say push on it while things are running and it may cause bad solder joints to flex and cause the issue.
I get no codes of any sort with mine so its really flying in the dark.
AutoZone is having a 30% off sale on items over 100$ shipped to your home so that would be around 200 to 250 there is a core charge and refund to of about 50 bucks so that is the cheapest I can find programmed and it takes about 10 days to get it.
You could go to the dealer and maybe they could read something but if we see no codes they see no codes so I think it is a waste of money and would be super expensive to just have them look I bet lol the crooks.

Now I am new to the 4.7 engine but been on the forums awhile and own a 4.0 I bought the 4.7 for cheap 1k to just tinker with when I am bored.
Here is another giant thread about stalling issues that may help you and me just found it.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...efore-3678217/
post #3 of 4 Old 07-11-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
wsrivers
2000 WJ 

Thanks @losttech if I need to change it that's okay. I found a bunch for $24 but I don't want to keep throwing parts at it and that's not the problem. If it is the computer and another one needs to be programmed who can program the replacement? Not sure if its something that the "stealership" needs to do.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-11-2016, 04:12 PM
losttech
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrivers View Post
Thanks @losttech if I need to change it that's okay. I found a bunch for $24 but I don't want to keep throwing parts at it and that's not the problem. If it is the computer and another one needs to be programmed who can program the replacement? Not sure if its something that the "stealership" needs to do.
Yes the dealership can but it wont be cheap I would call around and see if any other shops could program the ECM with the VIN and see how much they want. You may not find any but its worth a try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in