Passenger rear brake keeps seizing - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Passenger rear brake keeps seizing

Hey all!

I've been having issues for the past couple months with my jeep's passenger rear brake seizing.

I will be driving it and after about 30 minutes of driving the brake will start to seize. I really make a conscious effort to be light on the brakes as it's certainly harder to slow this Jeep down than my Ford fusion. But regardless of my efforts, it still happens. Rear brake locks up, the jeep struggles to even get up to 50mph, when letting off the gas the Jeep pulls to the right. By the time I get it home it's super hot, sometimes smoke, and you can smell it.

But every time, by the next morning, it frees up.

I had it at the shop and my mechanic said if it was a bad caliper they usually don't free up, they stay shut. So I had the brake pad and brake line replaced three weeks ago.

Everything seemed fine, I thought maybe it was fixed. Fast forward to a couple days ago and it seized back up. It didn't smoke but the jeep struggles to get up to 50mph, the passenger rear wheel well was very hot, and I could smell that same smell when it would previously sieze.

What could be the issue? What's concerning is that after it sits and cools down (usually overnight) it's no longer stuck. I'm starting to think it's a bad caliper since the brake and brake line were replaced.

Thank you!

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-10-2019, 09:57 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

you did change caliper and brake line using NEW parts?

This is a 3 Chanel system 2 independent front lines and 1 Chanel combined rear.
When system is dragging remove wheel and crack bleeder - did the stream of fluid squirt out as when under pressure?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-10-2019, 11:43 AM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

seems like caliper since one line goes to both back huh.
you will destroy stuff if you drive it this way...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles

post #4 of 20 Old 08-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
... mechanic said if it was a bad caliper they usually don't free up, they stay shut. So I had the brake pad and brake line replaced ...
So mechanic said bad caliper but the caliper hasn't been replaced yet? Also, what brake line was replaced? There is the hard line that goes from the front to the rear, the flex hose that goes from the body to the rear axle, the hard lines that go to each wheel, and the two flex lines that go to each caliper. Lots of lines and hoses that may or may not have been replaced.

As others have said, it is something specific to that rear brake which narrows it down quite a bit. My guess would be the caliper or the flex hose that goes to that caliper.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Rear calipers are prone to sticking on them... especially after a pad change
post #6 of 20 Old 08-10-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
So mechanic said bad caliper but the caliper hasn't been replaced yet? Also, what brake line was replaced? There is the hard line that goes from the front to the rear, the flex hose that goes from the body to the rear axle, the hard lines that go to each wheel, and the two flex lines that go to each caliper. Lots of lines and hoses that may or may not have been replaced.

As others have said, it is something specific to that rear brake which narrows it down quite a bit. My guess would be the caliper or the flex hose that goes to that caliper.
No, he didn't think it was a bad caliper

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
post #7 of 20 Old 08-10-2019, 05:04 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

2 flex hoses on rear axel? i dont think so

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #8 of 20 Old 08-10-2019, 07:04 PM
opieward

I got a new caliper for $35 after the core charge at Advance. It's cheap and easy to replace.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-10-2019, 09:44 PM
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

the pistons are phonelic plastic and over time from pushing on the pads they deform, and as they are a very close fit in the bore they stick when you push them back in for new pads. also the pad ears wear grooves in the carrier brackets, so when you put the new ones in they don't sit square and one of the ears will get stuck on the wear ridge when you release the brakes and stick on.
Naapollo11 likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Change the caliper first. If it still sticks, change the rubber hose to that caliper. If both rear calipers are dragging, the center hose is failing.

Either way, you need to repair something. Start with the obvious and work outward. Yes, after many years of use, calipers can and will wear out. So will brake hoses. NOT steel brake lines....They just rust through and leak, then it feels like you have very weak brakes.

If you knew you had a sticking caliper by the evidence of oddly worn pads on that side and dragging or pulling to that side, you should have started there first. Weird, I know, but being the owner of three different WJs, I've replaced WAY more calipers (front and rear) than failing hoses, though I have replaced a couple of those as well.

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #11 of 20 Old 08-11-2019, 09:03 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
Yes, each caliper on the rear axle has a flex hose from the steel line that runs along the axle to the caliper. The steel line coming from the MC eventually changes to a rubber flex hose down the center of the WJ until it gets to a brass block on the rear axle. From there, two steel lines go in opposite directions to each wheel. They clip in behind each caliper and connect to a flex hose.

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #12 of 20 Old 08-11-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
Change the caliper first. If it still sticks, change the rubber hose to that caliper. If both rear calipers are dragging, the center hose is failing.

Either way, you need to repair something. Start with the obvious and work outward. Yes, after many years of use, calipers can and will wear out. So will brake hoses. NOT steel brake lines....They just rust through and leak, then it feels like you have very weak brakes.

If you knew you had a sticking caliper by the evidence of oddly worn pads on that side and dragging or pulling to that side, you should have started there first. Weird, I know, but being the owner of three different WJs, I've replaced WAY more calipers (front and rear) than failing hoses, though I have replaced a couple of those as well.
Thanks, super helpful. I don't have the time to do it myself but it'll be going back in the shop.

I just wanted to know if people ever had the same issues I've had (brake sticking and then unsticking) and confirming my hunch that it's the caliper.

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
post #13 of 20 Old 08-11-2019, 10:09 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post

oops , brain clutch slipped!!! i never did back discs. the caliper has to move,obviously

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #14 of 20 Old 08-14-2019, 07:03 AM
T Hoff

1975 CJ5 

The one time i saw something like this was on a friends motorcycle. He'd drive for several miles and the rear pads would start grabbing. Ended up being old Fluid that had too much moisture in it. Heat would expand the moisture and push out the piston. Fluid flush fixed it.

'75 CJ5 ---Chevy HP 350 motor-- All Fiberglas---one piece tilt forward nose
1985 chevy stepside pickup, 300K on the clock: Original Owner
1989 Volvo 240 300K on the clock: Original Owner
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 20 Old 08-14-2019, 07:31 AM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Hoff View Post
The one time i saw something like this was on a friends motorcycle. He'd drive for several miles and the rear pads would start grabbing. Ended up being old Fluid that had too much moisture in it. Heat would expand the moisture and push out the piston. Fluid flush fixed it.
That can definitely do it. Don't know exactly which brake lines the mechanic changed but if lines were changed, hopefully the mechanic bled the brakes. So might not be the issue here but could definitely cause the caliper to lock up when hot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in