Passenger Gets Shocked often when getting off the car. Any ideas? - JeepForum.com
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By steelo2525
  • 2 Post By 222Doc
  • 1 Post By Vaskania
  • 1 Post By HarryH3
  • 1 Post By Roadijeff
  • 1 Post By SoCal2004wj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-29-2021, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
SocalJeeper21

Garage
Wj Passenger Gets Shocked often when getting off the car. Any ideas?

Hi folks! Got another question for you all.

My gf, for whatever reason gets constantly shocked by the front passenger door when getting out of the car. Mind you the car is OFF each time. I can hear the zap from my side almost every time. It's a significant shock.

At first I thought it could be the clothes she's wearing and how she's getting off the seat (cloth seats, Laredo trim) but most recently it happened even with Jeans. And I did notice she did not slide off the seat.

So I am wondering what could it be? Does the door need to be better grounded or something? Should I add another ground to it just to make sure? Could the problem be the seat?

IDK where to start aside from I taking the door apart this weekend to check that any wiring in there is not touching the metal. I changed speakers a while back. I wonder if that might have anything tot do with it.

The other idea I had was to add metal to the inside door handle to ensure any load can be transferred as people get on and off the car.
To be fair, I sometimes get shocked on my side too but it does not happen often and I mitigate the chances of it happening by making a point to touch the metal of the door as I am getting out of the car.

Hoping for a simple fix. Anyone experienced anything similar?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-29-2021, 03:38 PM
steelo2525

I had the same prob with drivers door and me, also was starting to get probs with windows, fob not locking doors etc. When I got that fixed which was the usual WJ/WG thing of the wiring in door the shocks stopped.
Could be something to look at

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
SocalJeeper21 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-29-2021, 04:03 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
sounds like static discharge.

sounds like you need to ground the wife.......get her one of these for a gift

WJeepster and Joey Bagadonuts like this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-29-2021, 04:42 PM
Vaskania

2001 WJ 

Garage
I used to get this all the time when I had a PT Cruiser. I'm a female who generally keeps long hair, and during the winter/spring months, in more humid areas, my hair is a lot more staticky than usual and I'd constantly shock the crap out of myself getting out of that car. Sometimes I'd literally see the little lightening jump between myself and the car. Was the only car it's ever happened to me with though.

I wish you guys luck sorting it as it's annoying as hell, some were actually painful, and was enough to make me want to stop driving it.

'05 KJ Renegade 4x4 [RIP 12/28/2018]
'01 WJ Limited 4x4 4.7L
post #5 of 13 Old 04-29-2021, 05:17 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Look down inside the bottom of the door pull. See that screw? Put a finger on the screw and keep it there as you get out of the vehicle. By keeping you attached to the body of the rig, no difference of potential can build up and create that zap. Sometimes, if you're really creating a lot of static, you still might feel a very slight tingle through your fingertip, but nothing like when the static builds up enough to jump a gap.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-29-2021, 05:39 PM
Roadijeff

This thread reminds me of when I drove off the line at a Chrysler assembly plant in the early 90s. The seats had a protective cover on them and whenever I would slide across to get out it would generate a static charge, especially in the winter months. As soon as I touched something metal I'd get zapped. Imagine that happening over 200 times per day during a 9 hour shift. I finally started carrying around a coin and I would touch something metal first with it after I got out and all was well...until the next time several minutes later.

Anyway, have your girlfriend either press against some metal on the door as she gets out or have her touch something metal with a coin, a metal ballpoint pen, etc., after she exits.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-29-2021, 09:48 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

I've had that happen on several vehicles, usually when the weather is dry and windy. My solution was to maintain contact with ANY metal part of the door before and while exiting the car. It totally prevented me from getting zapped!
post #8 of 13 Old 04-30-2021, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
SocalJeeper21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
sounds like static discharge.

sounds like you need to ground the wife.......get her one of these for a gift

LOL I have one of those but we're at the point where it's not funny anymore unfortunately

02 WJ Laredo - 2in BB - 245/75/16 Silverblades 1
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 Old 04-30-2021, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
SocalJeeper21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
Look down inside the bottom of the door pull. See that screw? Put a finger on the screw and keep it there as you get out of the vehicle. By keeping you attached to the body of the rig, no difference of potential can build up and create that zap. Sometimes, if you're really creating a lot of static, you still might feel a very slight tingle through your fingertip, but nothing like when the static builds up enough to jump a gap.
I've been doing this on my side. It works really well. I was thinking of adding a bigger piece of metal to the passenger side to achieve the same effect without having to reach specifically for that screw. Thank you for the tip!

02 WJ Laredo - 2in BB - 245/75/16 Silverblades 1
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 08:23 AM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
You don't mention which WJ you have but I'm just wondering if you have grounding straps installed from the body to the exhaust pipe to the tranny. I'm posting a picture of mine. I'm not saying that the absence of them is the cause, I'm just curious.
Attached Thumbnails
vx.jpg  
post #11 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 08:38 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Its static people.

The world is not flat. Masks wont stop a virus if they cant stop dust. There is no Easter bunny and pigs can fly with enough thrust............................................ .................................................. ..................................

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #12 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
SocalJeeper21

Garage
General update, got into a fender bender on Friday. Literally a bent fender a few paint marks on the bumper. Thankfully no injuries or major damage. Insurance is figuring out who's responsible etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ60 View Post
You don't mention which WJ you have but I'm just wondering if you have grounding straps installed from the body to the exhaust pipe to the tranny. I'm posting a picture of mine. I'm not saying that the absence of them is the cause, I'm just curious.
I'm going to crawl under there to take a look. That's a good tip. I got a Laredo 4x4 and even though I've been under there a bunch of times I don't remember noticing a ground strap before. Do you have more pics showing the anchor points? Thanks!
post #13 of 13 Old 05-04-2021, 06:12 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
Here is the exhaust clamp to tranny connection, and a pic of the old and new straps. The previous pic was of the body to exhaust clamp connection.
Attached Thumbnails
vz.jpg   vm.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in