Paranoid - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
GoTerps
2000 WJ 

Question Paranoid

Since I am new to the WJ world, I have done a lot of research before and after i brought my first WJ about a month ago which is a 2000 4.0 laredo with 138,000 miles. The vehicle has documented repair history but I can't help but be paranoid driving it because of a fear of mechanical failure based off of all the things I've read here (Yes I know I shouldn't have brought it if I was that worried about it but I love the WJ model for some reason). Now, before anybody says it, yes...I know its a 20 year old jeep at the end of the day but i still expect SOME kind of reliability. Anyway, my question to my fellow WJ owners, is any body else paranoid their jeep will break down every time they drive it or is my concern overblown? Hell I even drive it carefully just so i wont break something meanwhile I beat the piss out of my 1999 Camry with 178,000 on it lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 08:21 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
There is a real Misconception here about these Jeeps being Fragile or something. They have their quirks, and those quirks can sometimes lead to Major repairs, but so do many other vehicles on the road. I dont treat mine any different than any other vehicle i have owned. I am pretty meticulous about maintenance, and i love a clean car inside and out. But that doesnt mean i wont go out and climb mountains and splash through the mud holes along the way. It just to me means that i need to clean it up good after the fun is over. I always try to be proactive about repairs(doing repairs in my shop at home is way easier than on the trail or the side of the road) but i dont lay awake at night and wonder if something is going to fall off my Jeep the next day just because its old. You just need to get in and get your hands dirty as much as possible, and learn your Jeep. If you get a feel for whats going on under the hood and underneath, then you will be able to stay ahead of the repairs, and you will have peace of mind. Now get out there and go Jeepin! If something happens your not sure about, post up your story and we will help.
Double E, jtec and GoTerps like this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #3 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 09:13 AM
007matman

My Jeep has almost 200k on it and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country. Maintenance is key. If it's been well cared for and inspected I wouldn't hesitate with that one either.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
GoTerps likes this.

post #4 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 09:15 AM
Wizumz

Terps, I'm also new to the WJ game. Hearing about all these things can be concerning, without a doubt, but it's nothing that no other cars won't have going on. Its a car... you either have a good one or a bad one, best thing you can do is take care of it. Follow your maintenance schedule and be proactive before problems arise. ALSO, ENJOY IT. I'm also completely new to working on a vehicle, I did my first oil change last month (this is my first car), now I have some new parts in the mail and am going to work on upgrading my suspension for more comfort. Everything new in life presents a learning opportunity, hopefully nothing goes wrong with your (or mine, haha) vehicle, but if it does, OH WELL! It's a car, get a new one or fix it, life moves on with or without you.

After I bought mine I drove like a grandma and constantly focused on any sound the car made, didn't drive with music playing or push RPMs past 2.5 for weeks, but as of lately I have become more accustomed to the vehicle and am starting to drive like I normally do again and in doing so am really enjoying it. They're cool cars, a lot of them are out there and there's a lot of information and people to help you through any issues that arise... not all car models have such rabid and faithful fans!

"Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow."
GoTerps likes this.
post #5 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 10:25 AM
smokeyyank

For your year the issue in the head on the 4.0 along with piston skirts. The 42re tranny is far from great and possibly will fail at some point. Plus side is the 4.0 and 42re are cheap to rebuild compared to the 4.7. Really best things I could say is don't overheat it, change fluid often and use quality parts. As others have said maintenance is key but even with proper maintenance there is still the possibly of something crapping out.
GoTerps likes this.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #6 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 10:38 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
I have 168k on my 04 SE I feel like I've made it pretty reliable but I only drive it to work a couple times a week and some on the weekends main purpose is for a trail rig. I trust it up in the mountains where there is no cell service and 2 days straight in 4L on a Jeep Jamboree last year though. One key factor for me to own one of these is being handy enough to work on it yourself. If I had to take it in every time it needed something it would get expensive and old.
GoTerps likes this.
post #7 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 12:49 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

This website is great since it has so much info but it also lists about everything which could go wrong with your WJ. After reading about the dropped valve seats on the 4.7 I was wondering when this was going to happen to my 04 4.7? Finally I said to myself I'll never enjoy my WJ if I keep worrying about what's going to break down. All I can do is maintain it the best I can, never let it overheat, and preventative maintenance is a must. I don't worry about it anymore and life's too short to be paranoid about everything.

We've also owned 4 other Jeeps with the 4.0 and with over 200K miles on each we never had a major engine problems with them. Good luck.
Wizumz likes this.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #8 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 03:11 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
After 4yrs and and a few miner mods with 220k+ miles, I just drove 2200mis to spokane a month ago! No worries

post #9 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 03:37 PM
Wizumz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
This website is great since it has so much info but it also lists about everything which could go wrong with your WJ. After reading about the dropped valve seats on the 4.7 I was wondering when this was going to happen to my 04 4.7? Finally I said to myself I'll never enjoy my WJ if I keep worrying about what's going to break down. All I can do is maintain it the best I can, never let it overheat, and preventative maintenance is a must. I don't worry about it anymore and life's too short to be paranoid about everything.

We've also owned 4 other Jeeps with the 4.0 and with over 200K miles on each we never had a major engine problems with them. Good luck.
Precisely!
post #10 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 05:15 PM
X-Hibition

1999 WJ 

My Father was the second owner of a 1999 4.0, second because the dealership owner's daughter had it for a short amount of time then traded it back in. Because she could. Daily driver forever for my Father who replaced the water pump, fuel pump, tires, shocks, and a few batteries. Since I got it from him I have replaced one window motor. My confidence level with it is to start planning a Zion/Moab trip with my baby brother and his TJ.

Paranoid? Why?

1999 Jeep WJ currently sporting four Yakima bars with many accessories...
post #11 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 06:22 PM
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I see this post and shake my head. If you are that paranoid about it breaking down,you should have never bought it. Lots of vehicles can break down on the road some new almost off the showroom floor. Just cause its new means nothing. If I bought a vehicle that had high mileage and looked or I thought was not reliable,then I'd pass. Don't mean to sound harsh but that is reality. Hell I drive my 97 XJ with 218,000 miles on a very regular basis. When I had it brand new not even a month the motor mount bolt broke. Vehicles will break down regardless.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ purchased Sept 2014
post #12 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 06:48 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
GoTerps I think it's safe to say you didn't buy it with the intention that you'd not trust it for one reason or another only advice I can give is become as familiar with it as you can and make sure it's thoroughly checked out and maintained. This forum is really awesome I check in on some of the others too and the WJ guys seem to be some of the most knowledgeable on here so you have a great resource right here to learn as much as you want. If it's having a particular issue contributing to your paranoia post about it and let's get it fixed. WJ is a solid platform to start with will it be as reliable as a brand new car in most cases probably not but chances are if you're handy with the tools you can keep the WJ on the road longer and cheaper than just about anything out there.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 09:23 PM
Sprung99GC

1999 WJ 

I have 205,000 on my 1999 and will drive it anywhere.
post #14 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 09:25 PM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

I'll add my $.02. My '04 Laredo just hit 272K, and I get 15-18 mpg on 31's with a small lift. Original 4.0L and 42re tranny. I keep everything serviced and maintained, and it's my DD. Drive and enjoy it!
post #15 of 29 Old 02-27-2020, 12:55 AM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

If it wasn't for the internet we'd all have our heads in the beautiful clouds of ignorance. Ignorance is bliss! The internet just amplifies these "issues." I've owned a ZJ, TJ and the WJ. The WJ has been the most reliable and I've been driving it since it left the showroom, now with almost 270k miles. I love the WJ platform as well and I just bought an 02 overland with just 55k that was written off because of a side impact to a door, this way I have a spare HO 4.7, transmission, actually, the ENTIRE drivetrain... plus I'm swapping over some overland interior bits to make my interior two-tone which im really liking. Rust has been the biggest issue for me. I hate body/fab work, but I've fabricated my own new rockers and Im going to do a fender next, got a donor piece all cut out.

To me, these Jeeps rest on the cusp of technology that I can get my head around and work on, but also have a level of comfort and luxury I enjoy. I'm not a fan of bluetooth in cars. When im driving I like to be left alone, it's one of my greatest pleasures.
Bigrigr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in