P1763 code help - JeepForum.com
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-20-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

P1763 code help

Last Friday, my check engine light came on for a P1763, and it was driving bad. Slow to start in 1st, stumbled. I ordered a Mopar governor solenoid and pressure sensor, and installed them, along with a new Mopar filter, on Tuesday. I used Mopar ATF+4 to top it back off.

She drove fine yesterday and most of today, but the same code, P1763, popped back up this afternoon and it went into limp mode.

Took it to my mechanic, and he usually doesn't do transmission related work. Since we really don't have a good trans shop in town, he said he would take a look at it, check wiring, etc, and hook it up to his scanner.

What could be going on? Anyone have any advice they can offer me? Could the governor pressure sensor I installed be bad out of the box?

I appreciate the help,

DJ

2004 WJ-4.0 I6-42RE-278K-2.5" BB-265/65/17 Toyo Open Country 2 AT-Quadratec Hardrock Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-21-2020, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Nobody?

I did a ton of reading last night, seems it could be a wiring issue from the pcm to the trans, or possibly one of the downstream O2 sensors. Or it could be that I got a bad governor pressure sensor out of the box.

2004 WJ-4.0 I6-42RE-278K-2.5" BB-265/65/17 Toyo Open Country 2 AT-Quadratec Hardrock Wheels
post #3 of 23 Old 08-21-2020, 09:08 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

P1763-GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR VOLTS TOO HI

Set Condition: the voltage from the governor pressure sensor is above 4.89 volts for 8.5 seconds.

You changed the GPS (gov pressure sensor) and solenoid to address this code?
You have had a scanner on the jeep to check ALL codes, the key trick is lacking esp with trans issues.
Yes I agree the need to check wiring- do you have a wiring diagram and troubletree?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 23 Old 08-21-2020, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
P1763-GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR VOLTS TOO HI

Set Condition: the voltage from the governor pressure sensor is above 4.89 volts for 8.5 seconds.

You changed the GPS (gov pressure sensor) and solenoid to address this code?
You have had a scanner on the jeep to check ALL codes, the key trick is lacking esp with trans issues.
Yes I agree the need to check wiring- do you have a wiring diagram and troubletree?
Yes, I changed the solenoid, sensor, and filter on Tuesday. My OBD2 reader just showed the 1763, but it isn't a shop level scanner. It's at the shop now, and I'm sure they will scan it to see if anything shows up.

I actually found the diagram and troubletree from one of your old posts last night. Thanks!

post #5 of 23 Old 08-22-2020, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Update: the code cleared. The shop scanned it, and the only thing that showed up was a pending P0320 (crankshaft sensor?). The owner (friend and client) drove it to the bank, lunch, and around on his errands. He said "that thing drives like a dream"...great compliment, but I wish it would act up with him.

He said if it did it again next week to drive straight to the shop and he would check it out. They didn't find any wiring issues.
CJREX likes this.

post #6 of 23 Old 08-23-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

@jtec , just wanted to say thanks to you and the others that post great answers to some of the WJ problems we have. I actually have both a folder on my laptop and another with printed pages of things I may need down the road. I printed the wiring diagram and trouble tree and added it. At the top of each page I write what it pertains to on the WJ.

The neighbor kid has an '02, and he will flag me down or stop by when he has issues. He is now a expert in repairing broken door harness wires lol.

So far so good on the P1763. The only sensors left to replace are the crank and camshaft. I'm waiting on those codes.....

post #7 of 23 Old 08-24-2020, 08:25 PM
eljeepwj
2003 WJ 

Not sure if this helps anymore just i was getting a p1762 -63 and 64 after a bunch of headache I figured the mopar gov sensor was bad out of the box (I think it was not a genuine Mopar part) and Jeep did not like that. Not sure where you purchased the sensor but my codes were intermediate, every 5 starts it would drive fine then it would throw a code. I would turn it off and on 2 times and code would go away for another 5 starts. My thread about it is below, hope the problem stays fixed!
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...issue-4342221/

2003 Jeep WJ 4.0 2in IRO w Procomp Es9000 on d windows 245/75/r16 DD
post #8 of 23 Old 08-25-2020, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeepwj View Post
Not sure if this helps anymore just i was getting a p1762 -63 and 64 after a bunch of headache I figured the mopar gov sensor was bad out of the box (I think it was not a genuine Mopar part) and Jeep did not like that. Not sure where you purchased the sensor but my codes were intermediate, every 5 starts it would drive fine then it would throw a code. I would turn it off and on 2 times and code would go away for another 5 starts. My thread about it is below, hope the problem stays fixed!
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...issue-4342221/
Thanks for that info. Yesterday, after a few good days, the 1763 returned and it went into limp mode. I need to troubleshoot a few things, wiring, etc. Then I think I'll ask RA to replace it.

post #9 of 23 Old 08-25-2020, 09:39 AM
Waterluvr

2004 WJ 

Garage
DJ your 2004 pcm has some diagnostic abilities previous generation 4.0 WJ's didn't have in the programming flash as it uses some of the early WK level software (2005+).

With a modern shop scan tool you can run active tests and system checks on the sensor itself to verify if it's good or bad in addition to the individual governor shift valves to see if they are causing the issue.

You can test the tranny 12V relay, overdrive solenoid etc. in real time and see it graph the results with OEM acceptable ranges overlayed on the test data.

I see lot's these 4.0's in with the code your having after a senor replacement and it's rarely the sensor at fault (or it needs a pairing calibration as do many aftermarket sensors) to work right with the pcm flash as there are usually several revisions from Chrysler and only about 50% ever make it back for any updates.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-25-2020, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterluvr View Post
DJ your 2004 pcm has some diagnostic abilities previous generation 4.0 WJ's didn't have in the programming flash as it uses some of the early WK level software (2005+).

With a modern shop scan tool you can run active tests and system checks on the sensor itself to verify if it's good or bad in addition to the individual governor shift valves to see if they are causing the issue.

You can test the tranny 12V relay, overdrive solenoid etc. in real time and see it graph the results with OEM acceptable ranges overlayed on the test data.

I see lot's these 4.0's in with the code your having after a senor replacement and it's rarely the sensor at fault (or it needs a pairing calibration as do many aftermarket sensors) to work right with the pcm flash as there are usually several revisions from Chrysler and only about 50% ever make it back for any updates.
I appreciate that info, @Waterluvr .

I used Mopar parts, would I still need to have the pairing calibration done? And would it be ok at this point to have the pcm updated? The wife's uncle is a longtime tech at a dealership north of me (I hate aggravating him all the time), so I could contact him if that is what I need to do.

Thanks again.
Waterluvr likes this.

post #11 of 23 Old 08-25-2020, 10:59 AM
Waterluvr

2004 WJ 

Garage
Most of the time there's really no need to update the flash, even if you do odd's are the fix is a calibration directive from the scan tool.

The Mopar only theme with sensors rings pretty true for the DIY guys on older WJ's that don't own or have access to shop level tech, the software worked better out of the box with them. The flash on the 2004 is really quite a bit different, I don't even bother with OEM and use aftermarket crank, TPS etc. and I run a calibration on all of them after install they work just fine the first time around.

The tools that work best are the Autel MaxiSys Elite and the Snap-On Versus, strong preference to the Autel I use it exclusively as do most shops these days that are known for electrical/diagnostic and ecm work.

One of the most common failure points I am seeing on the 2004 pcm is the output to the pressure sensor circuit, and the 2nd upstream O2 sensor is about as bad which in turn causes the return data to trigger a code.

The failure rate of the 2004 4.0 federal and federal tier II California pcm's are abnormally higher than previous years and they are hard to find and starting to cost more due to being a single years production with no alternative available. If your in it for the long haul grab a spare pcm from a yard while they are still cheap it's the one year that will eventually duplicate the impossible to find and extraordinarily expensive Wrangler pcm's from 2005-2006.
CJREX and DJCantonGA like this.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-26-2020, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Most of the time there's really no need to update the flash, even if you do odd's are the fix is a calibration directive from the scan tool.

The Mopar only theme with sensors rings pretty true for the DIY guys on older WJ's that don't own or have access to shop level tech, the software worked better out of the box with them. The flash on the 2004 is really quite a bit different, I don't even bother with OEM and use aftermarket crank, TPS etc. and I run a calibration on all of them after install they work just fine the first time around.

The tools that work best are the Autel MaxiSys Elite and the Snap-On Versus, strong preference to the Autel I use it exclusively as do most shops these days that are known for electrical/diagnostic and ecm work.

One of the most common failure points I am seeing on the 2004 pcm is the output to the pressure sensor circuit, and the 2nd upstream O2 sensor is about as bad which in turn causes the return data to trigger a code.

The failure rate of the 2004 4.0 federal and federal tier II California pcm's are abnormally higher than previous years and they are hard to find and starting to cost more due to being a single years production with no alternative available. If your in it for the long haul grab a spare pcm from a yard while they are still cheap it's the one year that will eventually duplicate the impossible to find and extraordinarily expensive Wrangler pcm's from 2005-2006.
Appreciate the info. I have one Pull a Part less than an hour away and another just over an hour. I'll watch for the 04's to hit the lot and try to grab a PCM to put away, I plan on keeping it. I bought it 5 years ago as a camping/weekend driver, now it's my DD and I only drive the truck a few times per month.

post #13 of 23 Old 08-26-2020, 09:51 AM
Waterluvr

2004 WJ 

Garage
When I program pcm's for forum member's I can do more than one the same day without incurring any more costs from Chrysler Tech Authority, if you find more than one at typical pick and pull pricing grab 'em!
post #14 of 23 Old 08-31-2020, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Quote:
When I program pcm's for forum member's I can do more than one the same day without incurring any more costs from Chrysler Tech Authority, if you find more than one at typical pick and pull pricing grab 'em!
Will do.

Still dealing with the 1763, and an occasional 1762 code. I went over the trouble tree as best I could. Yesterday it started stalling and running rough, no cel, but the key trick revealed a P0320. Taking it by the shop after lunch to see if they can diagnose it; could be the crank or camshaft sensor. They could possibly be oem.

Joys of Jeep ownership.

post #15 of 23 Old 09-01-2020, 06:29 PM
eljeepwj
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCantonGA View Post
Will do.

Still dealing with the 1763, and an occasional 1762 code. I went over the trouble tree as best I could. Yesterday it started stalling and running rough, no cel, but the key trick revealed a P0320. Taking it by the shop after lunch to see if they can diagnose it; could be the crank or camshaft sensor. They could possibly be oem.

Joys of Jeep ownership.
I know you said the pressure sensor and solenoid were Mopar but did you buy them from a stealership or pay almost $200 for them online?
As I mentioned before I thought mine were genuine (they even came in a Mopar box! and i paid around $90 on ebay) but after dealing with months of occasional limp and codes I pulled the sensor out and it did not have a part number on it. Luckily i kept my old set. After putting 12V to the old solenoid i confirmed it was not clicking/ working I just threw my old sensor back in their and have had zero problems in 15k miles. Maybe try another sensor and see if that changes your behavior. Im sure you checked the plug that feeds wires into the trans? I believe its a on the top drivers side for the pressure sensor and solenoid wires. Exposed wires on that plug would throw some codes I would think

Also I would be surprised if the p0320 is related to your transmission codes.

Hope this helps a little

2003 Jeep WJ 4.0 2in IRO w Procomp Es9000 on d windows 245/75/r16 DD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in