OK to tow WJ in neutral with tow dolly? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 10-05-2021, 05:14 PM
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

Again, I have towed my WJ for 10's of thousands of miles by following the procedure in the Jeep manual as I stated in my previous post on this thread. Key one click towards run, transmission in PARK (critical) and transfer case in Neutral. Yes, gears in the transfer case are turning, but they are in an oil bath so no lube issues.

02 GCL 4.7-QD-4.5" IRO LA lift-D44/ARB Locker-Bilsteins-HK hidden winch-JCR slider-Falken 32x10.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 10-05-2021, 08:16 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
As I understand it, WJpaul has nailed it here. But only IF you have the select-trac transfercase. QD II, and QTII both have the AWD system, and cannot be towed unless all for wheels are off the ground. This is due to the couplers in the transfer case, AND the clutches in the axles in the QDII. Select-trac should be a true neutral transfercase, with open differentials in most cases.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #18 of 26 Old 10-05-2021, 11:37 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
As I understand it, WJpaul has nailed it here. But only IF you have the select-trac transfercase. QD II, and QTII both have the AWD system, and cannot be towed unless all for wheels are off the ground. This is due to the couplers in the transfer case, AND the clutches in the axles in the QDII. Select-trac should be a true neutral transfercase, with open differentials in most cases.
If the transfer case is in neutral, then the coupler is not involved. The input/output shafts would just be spinning freely. As far as the QT II/QD II differentials, if turning was an issue, that would be a problem while driving (which it's not).

post #19 of 26 Old 10-06-2021, 07:42 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Can you guys educate me further on transfer case in neutral but tranny in Park? I expected tranny in neutral as well. The rear driveshaft still turns when towing on all fours. That seems illogical but I am sure I just need to understand something better.

For a WEAK and IGNORANT people, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW
post #20 of 26 Old 10-06-2021, 08:36 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
Can you guys educate me further on transfer case in neutral but tranny in Park? I expected tranny in neutral as well. The rear driveshaft still turns when towing on all fours. That seems illogical but I am sure I just need to understand something better.
The driveshaft turns because it is still connected to the rear wheels and differential. If the transfer case is in neutral, there is no transfer of power from the driveshaft(s).
post #21 of 26 Old 10-06-2021, 09:30 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
I would go by what your Jeep's owners manual says.

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #22 of 26 Old 10-06-2021, 11:34 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2004wj View Post
If the transfer case is in neutral, then the coupler is not involved. The input/output shafts would just be spinning freely. As far as the QT II/QD II differentials, if turning was an issue, that would be a problem while driving (which it's not).

We have had other posts about the 247 transfer cases being towed on a tow dolly with very bad results. The last one was a tow job by a towing company that had just lifted the front end and put the transfer case in neutral. Perhaps the flat towing would be OK, I dont know for sure. But the OP was asking about using a tow dolly specifically.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #23 of 26 Old 10-07-2021, 04:41 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Good point, sorry OP about rabbit trail here. I have no plans to tow but was just trying to soak up your info guys.

For a WEAK and IGNORANT people, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW
post #24 of 26 Old 10-09-2021, 09:47 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
We have had other posts about the 247 transfer cases being towed on a tow dolly with very bad results. The last one was a tow job by a towing company that had just lifted the front end and put the transfer case in neutral. Perhaps the flat towing would be OK, I dont know for sure. But the OP was asking about using a tow dolly specifically.
Good point, I forgot the original post was about towing on a dolly
post #25 of 26 Old 10-10-2021, 07:35 AM
jeepjeepster

You can flat tow (all four on ground) with any tcase. The issue comes when you have the front in the air and the rear is still turning.

The tranny must be in P so nothing in the trans is turning. The trans is lubed by the oil pump which is turned by the torque converter. If the engine isnt running, the tranny will not be lubed, so it needs to stay in P.

For the tcase, idk how the 247 is setup internally, so I cannot comment on it. Supposedly the rear output turns the oil pump in the 242, so in theory, it SHOULD be ok to tow with the rear on the ground and the front on a dolly, but DO NOT take my word....

1994 ZJ-I6 w/270,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/66,000 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/108,000 mi
post #26 of 26 Old 10-12-2021, 04:50 AM
V8GCZJ

Disconnect the drive shaft after it's on the dolly, Then use a ratchet strap to hold it in place. I did this with my ZJ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in