OK to tow WJ in neutral with tow dolly? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-29-2021, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
gdk771
1999 WJ 

OK to tow WJ in neutral with tow dolly?

Can someone tell me if it is safe to tow a WJ with a Selec Trac transfer case in neutral and the transmission in neutral on a tow dolly? Or do I need to drop the rear axle prop shaft? I will be towing it around 250 miles. I know some jeeps can be safely towed in neutral just not sure about the WJ and Selec Trac.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-29-2021, 03:37 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdk771 View Post
Can someone tell me if it is safe to tow a WJ with a Selec Trac transfer case in neutral and the transmission in neutral on a tow dolly? Or do I need to drop the rear axle prop shaft? I will be towing it around 250 miles. I know some jeeps can be safely towed in neutral just not sure about the WJ and Selec Trac.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.
Drop the rear prop shaft GD.
post #3 of 26 Old 09-29-2021, 07:44 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

While we are on this topic, what about a WJ QDII Overland ?

For a WEAK and IGNORANT people, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW

post #4 of 26 Old 09-29-2021, 07:50 AM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
https://web.archive.org/web/20200603...com/towing.htm

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #5 of 26 Old 09-29-2021, 12:20 PM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
While we are on this topic, what about a WJ QDII Overland ?
If you have your front wheels up on a dolly, and drop the rear propshaft, the back axle is the only thing that turns Lead.
post #6 of 26 Old 09-29-2021, 07:25 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
This is from an '02 owner's manual.
Attached Images

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #7 of 26 Old 09-30-2021, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
gdk771
1999 WJ 

OK Thanks everyone. I will drop the rear axle shaft. Do I need to be concerned about trans fluid leaking out the rear of the transmission once I pull the rear yoke out of the transmission? Should I try to get some sort of plug to put back there?
post #8 of 26 Old 09-30-2021, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
gdk771
1999 WJ 

OK Thanks everyone. I will drop the rear axle shaft. Do I need to be concerned about trans fluid leaking out the rear of the transmission once I pull the rear yoke out of the transmission? Should I try to get some sort of plug to put back there? I suppose I can try to tie the shaft off also but if it came loose and fell while towing that would make a mess.
post #9 of 26 Old 09-30-2021, 01:07 AM
Delta0

If you will be towing with the front end lifted and the rear on the dolly as per WJ's post, you can leave the rear propshaft in place.

If you are towing with the front on the dolly, and the rear wheels on the road you need to remove the rear drive shaft.

Oil loss, drain before you leave, and refill when you get back.
Good idea to cover the hole while you are on the trip.

Is flat bed hire out of the question?
post #10 of 26 Old 09-30-2021, 05:22 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Aah thanks guys I thought I remembered RVs towing WJs QDII in neutral. So the problem comes when using a dolly with front axle in the air. Good education men thank you!

For a WEAK and IGNORANT people, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW
post #11 of 26 Old 10-01-2021, 10:56 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
Aah thanks guys I thought I remembered RVs towing WJs QDII in neutral. So the problem comes when using a dolly with front axle in the air. Good education men thank you!
I guess the WJs on the back of RVs had their propshafts removed Lead.

The manual and the handbook tell us not to tow with road wheels turning.

I don't know exactly why we shouldn't tow with wheels turning; usually it has to do with the gear box & / or the transfer box not getting lubed.
leadsled jeep likes this.
post #12 of 26 Old 10-02-2021, 05:12 PM
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

I have been towing my 02 WJ behind my motorhome for the last 19 years with no issues. I tow it on all 4. Key in ignition and turn one click towards Run. The first key position unlocks the steering and both shift levers. To tow, put the transfer case in Neutral and the transmission in Park. Most states will require you to have an auxiliary braking system in the Jeep that is activated when you hit the brakes on the towing vehicle. If this is a one time deal to take it with you I recommend renting a flat bed trailer to tow the WJ on. If you're going to regularly tow it get a good tow bar like Roadmaster and an aux brake system.

02 GCL 4.7-QD-4.5" IRO LA lift-D44/ARB Locker-Bilsteins-HK hidden winch-JCR slider-Falken 32x10.5
post #13 of 26 Old 10-02-2021, 06:11 PM
JonMopar

I recall a lot of guys flat towing these things (that’s why they bought them in the first place). We flat towed a TJ so I haven’t personally. Irv2 is a great site for info from an RVers standpoint

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #14 of 26 Old 10-03-2021, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
gdk771
1999 WJ 

I am at a loss on why you are not supposed to guys...

I went ahead and dropped the rear propshaft and towed mine home just to be safe after all the comments I got earlier. It does seem to me that if you put the transmission in neutral and the transfer case in neutral nothing should be turning.
The only other thing I can think of is perhaps the clutches / joints in the axels or something in the transfer case is not getting fluid or cooled if you tow that way? I am somewhat at a loss why this should matter but I don't know how everything in the drive train interacts with the transmission and transfer case in neutral.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-04-2021, 12:32 PM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdk771 View Post
I went ahead and dropped the rear propshaft and towed mine home just to be safe after all the comments I got earlier. It does seem to me that if you put the transmission in neutral and the transfer case in neutral nothing should be turning.
The only other thing I can think of is perhaps the clutches / joints in the axels or something in the transfer case is not getting fluid or cooled if you tow that way? I am somewhat at a loss why this should matter but I don't know how everything in the drive train interacts with the transmission and transfer case in neutral.
The machinery between neutral and the propshafts is turning when you have 4 wheels on the floor GD.

It's similar when you only have 2 wheels on the floor.

Could be there's risk that it won't get enough oil?

Could be it's left over from a manual about an earlier drive system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in