Odd Vibration - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
EaglesFan1199

Odd Vibration

I am new to these forums, never used them before. I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with the 4.7. I have an odd vibration that occurs after driving and then sitting in park. If I turn the steering wheel the noise disappears. I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 02:18 PM
bbacus

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im not a mechanic but it may be a ball joint. If you are able to jack up front end and try to wiggle the front tires there should not be much movement when you do this. If it seems wobbly joints probably need changed out.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 09:07 PM
Pugulis
2001 WJ 

What do you mean by "odd vibration"? Does it feel like the steering wheel is vibrating? Is it the front wheels? Is it the whole Jeep? Are you stopped? Moving?

[_][]☺[][][]☺[][_] RIP to my 96' Grand Cherokee Laredo 344,700 miles and welcome to my new 2001 WJ

post #4 of 5 Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
EaglesFan1199

Ok, once I start out it's fine, if I drive it for 15, 20 minutes then park, once it sits at an idle for roughly 5 to 10 minutes the steering wheel gets a slight vibration, i popped the hood while it was doing this and theres no audible difference but i can hear it inside the jeep. If I turn the steering wheel while parked it dissipates until I stop turning the wheel. Once i start moving again it also goes away until i park again. I'm wondering if it could be a bad bearing on the power steering pump pulley?
post #5 of 5 Old 05-17-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
EaglesFan1199

I was wrong i can definitely hear a difference under the hood, I seen a video of guy using a long handled screwdriver touching it to each component individually and putting his ear to the other end, I tried that. Couldn't tell a difference even with my wife turning the steering wheel and noise disappears with each slight movement. Once she stopped turning the wheel the noise and vibration return. I'm still stumped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in