NP242HD loose rear output shaft bearing? Video, need help. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-29-2020, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
DoctorTim

2002 WJ 

NP242HD loose rear output shaft bearing? Video, need help.

Ive been having some noises in the back end so i opened up the tail housing of my NP 242HD and found this.... whats the fix? I didnt think bearings should be able to do this.

I also might as well install my HnT SYE that ive had on the shelf for months now.

Sorry for a short post, im on my phone. Need a fix for this soon as its my daily. Thanks.

edit: for those who cant see the video, the output shaft + bearing + snap ring is able to move axially about 1/8" within the output housing. Im also able to spin the output shaft bearing outer race withing the housing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-29-2020, 03:40 PM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

I haven't watched the video so I can only guess what you're talking about. A loose rear output shaft could be a broken retainer/snap ring. With the tailshaft housing removed you should be able to verify that the main snap ring just in front of the bearing is still there. If it isn't, I think the entire main shaft assembly would eventually slacken up.
Attached Thumbnails
100_8229.jpg   100_8230.jpg   100_8231.jpg   100_8236.jpg  

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NV247
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #3 of 14 Old 05-29-2020, 03:49 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTim View Post
Ive been having some noises in the back end so i opened up the tail housing of my NP 242HD and found this.
What were the noises? Squeeking? Clunking? Something else?

2017 JK
2016 MK- Murchison springs, ~1" BL, skinny 30s
2011 KK- H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31s
2009 Sorento- H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, 31s
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner- see profile
2006 Trailblazer- EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32s
1998 Durango- SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32s

post #4 of 14 Old 05-29-2020, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
DoctorTim

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99wjtx View Post
I haven't watched the video so I can only guess what you're talking about. A loose rear output shaft could be a broken retainer/snap ring. With the tailshaft housing removed you should be able to verify that the main snap ring just in front of the bearing is still there. If it isn't, I think the entire main shaft assembly would eventually slacken up.
I removed the tail housing. Snap ring is in place. The output shaft and bearing slides in and out axially within the output housing. The bearing also spins within the rear housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine_Cat View Post
Quote:
Ive been having some noises in the back end so i opened up the tail housing of my NP 242HD and found this.
What were the noises? Squeeking? Clunking? Something else?
Clunks. See above.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-29-2020, 04:51 PM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

It's been five years since I tore one down. With my memory, it may as well have been a lifetime. There are other snap rings in there. Until someone else speaks up, maybe these pics will help you.
Attached Thumbnails
100_8246.jpg   100_8245.jpg   100_8247.jpg   100_8242.jpg   100_8243.jpg  

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NV247
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #6 of 14 Old 05-29-2020, 08:57 PM
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

Just watched your video and the in and out movement is not supposed to be there. And by the reference point the bearing rave moves as you do it, it seems to move at in and out just as wide as a snow ring. Meaning that you seem to have lost a snap ring in the t-case. I have a 242wj case as well and will pull the tail housing off in the morning to check the outer bearing race play, but the bearings aren't a press in tolerance fit like other bearings so that may be normal. Also remember that steel bearing race and aluminum t-case expand at different rates like the 4.7 block and heads. It may just be that the case has expanded due to bearing becoming too hit and now it's permanent. Again, I'll check mine in the morning and report back, but it's not a press in type bearing.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-29-2020, 08:58 PM
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

Sorry for the auto correct. Rave= race. Snow= snap.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-29-2020, 09:07 PM
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

Me again. For those that can't/ haven't watched the video, the noise is a clunk as the output shaft moves back and forth(looks to be 1-2 mm of play). And he can (with some force due to the sound of the grunt I heard while he did it) move the outer bearing race left to right while I'm the t-case with the output shaft installed. I honestly never tried to spin an outer bearing race on a t-case after replacing one so who knows. As long as it's not causing any vibrations, this may be normal. But the play front to back on the shaft itself is definitely not normal.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-30-2020, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
DoctorTim

2002 WJ 

This talk of "lost a snap ring somewhere" has me concerned now that there might be a piece of steel floating around in a sea of oil and gears ready to grenade... So I did some more searching about that and found this video. I know its not the "HD" but it should be similar since its still a 242.
. I dont see any snap rings that would prevent the output shaft from moving axially a bit. It looks like the output bearing is what keeps the shaft from shifting axially (apart from the obvious gear assembly running into the case wall), but i'm not experienced with xfer cases so if anyone wants to object please do.

A schematic/drawing/blueprint of the 242HD would help a lot.

All videos like this the bearing is clearly a tight fit and even pre-installed in the rear housing for some SYE kits.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-30-2020, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
DoctorTim

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99wjtx View Post
It's been five years since I tore one down. With my memory, it may as well have been a lifetime. There are other snap rings in there. Until someone else speaks up, maybe these pics will help you.
The images you posted helped a lot thank you. This looks very similar to some other 242 videos i have seen. From what I can tell, if you remove the output housing (not the main housing rear half, im talking about the housing that the bearing is pressed into) the main shaft is able to slide in and out a little bit. This makes me thing that there isn't a lost snap ring and that the rear output housing or bearing is meant to keep the main shaft in place somehow. Let me know what else you can think of

Thanks
post #11 of 14 Old 05-30-2020, 06:12 AM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

Unfortunately, the cutaway view below is not a 242HD specifically. The diagrams are from the factory parts manual.

Behind the front bearing retainer (the cover that goes over the input shaft that interfaces with the transmission) there's a snap ring there too. It could be broken or missing. I believe this is number 3 in the first exploded parts view.

Also, the rear retainer has both an ID and OD retainer ring. The ID ring is the one clearly there in front of the bearing in my pictures and in your vid. The OD ring is behind the bearing and seats into the retainer housing. Unfortunately, the parts manual doesn't have an exploded view specifically of the HD. As you can see here, it shows the LD variant with the boot. Nevertheless, I believe the OD ring would be the same and install the same on both cases.

Since the rear bearing is basically held in place by retainer rings and apparently not a pressed fit into the housing, the fact that your bearing is spinning around can probably be considered a non-issue.

I have a 242HD in storage. I just checked to be sure and it's tight - no play whatsoever. I didn't check every shift position though I'm not sure that would matter.

I'm thinking if you go ahead and remove the rear bearing cover/retainer, you should be able to get a better idea of whether or not there's some lateral slop to go along with the axial play. Either way, if the previously mentioned retainer/snap rings are all in place as they should be then you're probably going to have to tear the case down completely to determine just what's come apart in there.
Attached Thumbnails
exp1.jpg   exp2.jpg  
Attached Images

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NV247
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #12 of 14 Old 05-30-2020, 06:32 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
The images you posted helped a lot thank you. This looks very similar to some other 242 videos i have seen. From what I can tell, if you remove the output housing (not the main housing rear half, im talking about the housing that the bearing is pressed into) the main shaft is able to slide in and out a little bit. This makes me thing that there isn't a lost snap ring and that the rear output housing or bearing is meant to keep the main shaft in place somehow. Let me know what else you can think of

Thanks

I'm no expert on this transfer case. I own one, but have never had it apart yet. But i believe you are correct, in that the tail housing squeezes that bearing down when installed to limit that in and out movement. You say you are looking for a clunk? Maybe the chain is stretched a little and giving some clunk back and forth?

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #13 of 14 Old 06-05-2020, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
DoctorTim

2002 WJ 

Some of you may not like this. But until I have the time for a TC rebuild, I've JB welded a new bearing into housing and the play and noises went away. A proper fix would be to take it all apart, swap out bearings and chain, and put a new output housing on it so the bearing seats properly.

As for the snap ring concerns, I've spoken with someone who has rebuilt one and he confirmed that this bearing is what keeps the shaft from shifting the way shown in the video.

Problem solved errr... postponed..
post #14 of 14 Old 06-05-2020, 06:43 PM
Klarah523

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Some of you may not like this. But until I have the time for a TC rebuild, I've JB welded a new bearing into housing and the play and noises went away. A proper fix would be to take it all apart, swap out bearings and chain, and put a new output housing on it so the bearing seats properly.

As for the snap ring concerns, I've spoken with someone who has rebuilt one and he confirmed that this bearing is what keeps the shaft from shifting the way shown in the video.

Problem solved errr... postponed..

I was having a thought earlier today -- a lot of offroad kit comes with window stickers so people can pretend they're factory sponsored or something. I want JB Weld and Duck Tape window stickers

2000 WJ (Laredo w/ 4.0L) =|||||||=

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in