NP242 case sealing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Maaadman3

Garage
Wj NP242 case sealing

Hey guys,

So I recently resealed my transfer case with silicone and all new seals. Well, the damn case halves are leaking again and I don't want to mess with silicone anymore (PO used it for the transmission pan and it was absolutely horrendous to remove, used a proper gasket and not a single drop from it) Is there somewhere I could get a gasket? I know Chrysler doesn't have one and recommends the silicone gasket maker approach, but if I can avoid that I'd be extremely happy. Or do I have to buy big enough gasket paper and make my own?

2013 Ford Focus ST (boosted summer fun car)
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (old faithful)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 03:30 PM
Tarneg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

does the case still run the cast in raised ridge down the middle of the mating surfaces? if so i have never seen any kind of gasket made for those and its just solicon. i havent seen one of those leak without a warp or damage in forever so thats interesting. if its a flat mating surface though then it may just be go buy a monster sheet and cut out a gasket for probably way too much. dumb Q but you did use the stuff rated for that oil right ?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 06:56 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaadman3 View Post
Hey guys,

So I recently resealed my transfer case with silicone and all new seals. Well, the damn case halves are leaking again and I don't want to mess with silicone anymore (PO used it for the transmission pan and it was absolutely horrendous to remove, used a proper gasket and not a single drop from it) Is there somewhere I could get a gasket? I know Chrysler doesn't have one and recommends the silicone gasket maker approach, but if I can avoid that I'd be extremely happy. Or do I have to buy big enough gasket paper and make my own?
They are sealed with silicone from the factory and I know of no gasket options for it. Problem is most shade tree mechs use WAY too much of it like with your transmission pan. And they need to be spotless clean when you assembled the halves. I wire brush it and wipe down with mineral spirits before applying the RTV.

If you can find the spot it's actually leaking from you can sometimes take some RTV on your finger and pack it into the seam to stop it.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension

post #4 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 07:17 PM
anotherheep

Did you let the rtv set up for a while before sandwiching the halves together? Otherwise i would imagine it would squeeze it right on out from the mating surfaces. I would assume you torqued it properly too.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-16-2020, 11:04 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Yes, the trick with silicone, is to follow the required dry time before filling it with fluids. Most want you to wait 24 hours before putting it back to use. If you use the super expensive kind, like Right Stuff, you can assemble it and fill right away, but right stuff is 25 bucks a tube. I have been lucky in the past with applying the silicone, then assembling the parts and "snugging" all the bolts lightly, then letting it sit for a couple hours, and then torque them to specs. Let it sit for a couple more hours, then fill it with fluid. Im not saying this is guaranteed, but i have done it, with success.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Maaadman3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Yes, the trick with silicone, is to follow the required dry time before filling it with fluids. Most want you to wait 24 hours before putting it back to use. If you use the super expensive kind, like Right Stuff, you can assemble it and fill right away, but right stuff is 25 bucks a tube. I have been lucky in the past with applying the silicone, then assembling the parts and "snugging" all the bolts lightly, then letting it sit for a couple hours, and then torque them to specs. Let it sit for a couple more hours, then fill it with fluid. Im not saying this is guaranteed, but i have done it, with success.
Since this my other vehicle, I let it cure for 48 hours, retorqued after, filled it with fluid after another 48 hours.

post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Maaadman3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherheep View Post
Did you let the rtv set up for a while before sandwiching the halves together? Otherwise i would imagine it would squeeze it right on out from the mating surfaces. I would assume you torqued it properly too.
Yea I followed the instructions on the tube and even waited 48 hours instead of the 24 before torquing everything down and filling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in