2Likes
  • 1 Post By CarlJH
  • 1 Post By Steve.A

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Steve.A

2003 WJ 

No Speedometer

I have a 2003 JGC 4.0 that the speedometer isn't working on and would appreciate any direction. I've searched the threads and read through the FAQs and found lots of great stuff, but nothing addressing this particular issue.

The speedometer doesn't register at any speed. When checking the gauges by pressing the odometer reset and turning the key to ACC, it completes the full sweep and resets. The rest of the gauges work and the odometer is illuminated and showing a perpetual 190,510 miles, until I can get the speedometer working. The only error code found when doing the key dance was P1762 for the Transmission governor pressure. I plan on replacing the gov. pressure sensor and solenoid soon (thanks for the great write up in FAQs), when doing a filter change, if these parts are truly bad. Part of the error is pressure at 30 MPH. But, without a known ground speed, could this be part of the error code? The only lights on the dash are a brake light (not ABS) and air bag, no CEL. I have not changed the speed sensor in the transmission yet. On other Chrysler products I've had, I've gotten an error code when the sensor failed. So, I'm not inclined to start part swapping. I don't have a code scanner or other test equipment beyond a multimeter and test light.

If anyone can provide any ideas on this, I would appreciate it. I found so much valuable information here, and lots of apparent knowledge and am hoping to tap into some of that as I try to get this WJ that I picked up at an auction into some sort of reliable condition.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 01:36 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

the air bag light is on? Keep in mind as this may cause codes and issues.

WHen you turn to start does the CEL come on every time for @3secnds then go out?

It is suggested you get a scan as not all codes turn on CEL and the key on off trick is lacking esp with trans codes.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Steve.A

2003 WJ 

Thanks for the quick reply jtec, and good catch on the CEL light. It is NOT illuminating when ignition is on position and other lights come on. I've got an emergency brake not releasing right now, so once that is freed, will take to the parts store and have them scan it. I'll post a follow up. For only about $20 do you think I should just go ahead and replace the speed sensor, or wait to see if I have something more serious going on? It runs fine and seems to shift OK. It just has a myriad of small issues.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 04:47 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

your getting around, not like you cannot get back to the part store SO I woud wait and see what the codes show before spending... damed if you do damed if you don;t.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-17-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Steve.A

2003 WJ 

I was chasing down some electrical gremlins tonight on the WJ, trying to get the horn working as well as the front wipers. The Jeep had been sitting outside for at least a year or two, before I bought it, judging by the amount of leaves and pine needles in the engine compartment and stash of acorns in the airbox. Found the horn issue below the fuse box on the passenger fender and fixed that. No power to the wiper motor, so started tracing those wires back. Found 3 wires chewed through completely in the main wiring harness coming from the firewall and running along the drivers fender. Not real obvious and in different locations, but after finding the first one, looked a lot harder for others. There were actually sections an inch or two long chewed out. They looked chewed, not cut. Found sections of one piece in the cable tray running along the fender. Will splice and solder them up tomorrow and hope for the best. They were a white and black and a green/yellow wire. No idea what they are to, but repairing them may resolve some issues. Also found a disconnected connecter that was halfway up the side of the radiator on the passenger side. No idea what that was to either. there were no overheating issues. I knew I was going to have some issues, but didn't expect that they would be critter related.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-18-2019, 11:12 AM
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

WJ's get there speedometer data from one of the abs wheel speed sensors not from the transmission.
Try and find/download the FSM so you can troubleshoot the wiring more easily.
a quick google found this
https://cardiagn.com/2000-jeep-grand...ring-diagrams/
99SK04GTX likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Steve.A

2003 WJ 

Thank you so much for the link. The wiring diagrams are invaluable in chasing down some of my issues. This is a God Send. I'll update as I get more done. Later this afternoon I should get the wiring spliced and get to work on the issues that are still showing. I didn't see any way to test the wheel speed sensors, just removal and replacement procedures. I'm guessing that these are inexpensive enough to just start replacing until the bad one is found? UPS just delivered my replacement struts for the hood, rear gate and rear glass, as well as 3 window regulators. It may sound like I am taking a real shotgun approach to getting this on the road, but there are lots of typical old, neglected WJ issues that need to be resolved, as well as the unanticipated ones, such as the chewed wiring.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-21-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Steve.A

2003 WJ 

All is well. The speedometer is now working and no lights or codes are showing. The wiring faults were the problem. I should have done a much more extensive visual inspection before posting the problem. Thanks so much to CarlJH for the FSM and wiring diagram link and JTEC's advice not to start replacing parts willy nilly. That was very helpful and aided by my trusty scope on a rope and a multimeter, I found not only the initial 3 chewed wires, but also 2 more. After soldering new pieces of wire in place and shrink wrapping the splices, I took it for a test drive and everything worked as it should, including the front wipers that previously weren't working. I celebrated by installing the new hood and rear gate lift struts and window regulators. This WJ is really coming around. A few more issues to tackle, but she is pretty well road worthy right now. Thanks again to all that offered advice.
gsxr800 likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-22-2019, 05:04 AM
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

Good to hear
I would try and find a later 2004 FSM as Jeep did a bit of re-wiring in 2002 and moved some components around, like the evap canister was moved from the engine bay to the back by the fuel filler tube.
I think that link i posted was from 2000 so won't have anything on HO's
post #10 of 10 Old 12-09-2019, 06:48 PM
nanyiru
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.A View Post
All is well. The speedometer is now working and no lights or codes are showing. The wiring faults were the problem. I should have done a much more extensive visual inspection before posting the problem. Thanks so much to CarlJH for the FSM and wiring diagram link and JTEC's advice not to start replacing parts willy nilly. That was very helpful and aided by my trusty scope on a rope and a multimeter, I found not only the initial 3 chewed wires, but also 2 more. After soldering new pieces of wire in place and shrink wrapping the splices, I took it for a test drive and everything worked as it should, including the front wipers that previously weren't working. I celebrated by installing the new hood and rear gate lift struts and window regulators. This WJ is really coming around. A few more issues to tackle, but she is pretty well road worthy right now. Thanks again to all that offered advice.
Hi Steve A, Greetings from Mexico, ive been figthing with the same problem sinsce two years ago, i have a 2000 4.0 Wj no speedometer working i woonder if you remember the colors of the wires that you repaired , im trying to downoad the wiring diagrams on the post but somehow i cant it would be very helfull tome if you share me the wires colors

The Mexican Mean Machine, La Troca Cabrona

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in