• 1 Post By dwayneWK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-16-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2005 WK 

Garage
New to the WJ

Hi all!
So the other day I finally got a WJ. After looking for a while (and after selling my WK - it will be missed) I found a 2000 Limited with the 4.7L V8. I have done some of my homework about these rigs but was wondering from a current perspective from owners (a lot of posts are from years ago) what I should look out for, general maintenance, and etc. ? The Jeep has around 215,000 miles on it but runs and drives great. It does have a small oil leak, which is the beginning of many projects for the Jeep. What are some things I should look out for at this age and mileage? How do the WJs perform off road (not anything crazy like rock crawling). I already have a list of things I want to do to my WJ.
I look forward to many more years with it, but want to keep it running strong.
Any help or comments are appreciated!
Thanks
(Feel free to post pictures of your WJs, I like seeing others as I think they are 1) super cool and 2) it gives me ideas)

IturrGuate1975 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-16-2019, 01:20 PM
stover02limited

2001 WJ 

Keep an eye on the cooling system including the hydraulic fan. Overheating is what kills 90% of 4.7s. Also, keep an eye on the oil level. I've seen a couple rust through the oil pan and leak the oil out and spin rod bearings.

If it's got the quadradrive and it works, they are incredibly capable off-road.

Sent from my S3_Pro using Tapatalk

Built > Bought
post #3 of 15 Old 10-16-2019, 01:21 PM
stover02limited

2001 WJ 

BTW, here's mine as it sits currently. Although it changes daily

Built > Bought

post #4 of 15 Old 10-16-2019, 03:02 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Items unique to the WJ that you will probably run into: If the ground wire in the bundle running through the boot in your driver's door has not broken yet, know that it probably will and then your power windows won't respond or your power locks may not work. If you have dual zone climate control (you have a Limited so this is you), the blend door actuator tends to quit. Window regulators like to fail. In rust-prone areas you may get trouble with your chassis grounding points which can create all kinds of interesting electrical gremlins, and PCMs sputter out.

Some of the things you will have to deal with aren't really WJ-related, it's just that they are 20 year-old rigs and parts wear out. Starters, alternators, water pumps, etc. all that stuff has done a billion revolutions so they are in need of replacement.

Most of us with old, driven WJs have dealt with leaking valve covers, rear axle seals, oil pan gaskets, rear main seals ... some of us have dealt with pinion seals ... just about anything that seals in oils is a leak candidate at this point. Most of us have replaced worn out control arm bushings, tie rod ends, and ball joints, all of which can make you feel like you're a bit drunk going down the highway, although the WJ was never particularly good at holding a straight line on the highway even when new.

It is a fantastic off-road performer though. I have always been impressed with how sure-footed it feels as soon as you leave the pavement. Love my WJ, that's why I keep working on it. Enjoy your time with yours!

You can read about some of the things I have repaired here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...hread-4239282/

You can see some pics of my Blue Bella here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...-blue-4373607/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #5 of 15 Old 10-16-2019, 03:05 PM
philip290

Hey guys,

I'm about to purchase a 2002 grand cherokee. It has some rust on the rocker panels. Where can I find some rocker panel/rock slider replacements? I'm trying to get the hang of searching the forum but was unable to find a thread covering this so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-16-2019, 03:12 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Boneyard.
Your search capability may be limited due to how new you are.

Bail out on that one now. Try to find another one with no rust. Search further away if needed but that's your objective for less issues.
If it has rust on the rockers...where else is rust going to fight you? Everywhere.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #7 of 15 Old 10-16-2019, 03:21 PM
stover02limited

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip290 View Post

It has some rust on the rocker panels.
If it's got rust on the painted side, check the back side. It's probably gone.

Built > Bought
post #8 of 15 Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Reech
2001 WJ 

Love my WJ. Have had opportunities to sell it, but wanted a jeep for so long. I have found it to be fairly capable offroad. With a long arm lift, It is also fairly comfortable on long drives ( 8hr +). Anything and everything that can or does go wrong, you can find out exactly what the problem is likely to be and a write up on how to fix it yourself with some basic knowledge. Parts are fairly inexpensive and readily available. Pretty basic to work on. Nothing too complicated in the suspension or engine bay area. Hardest thing so far to fix has been changing the valve cover gaskets. That right one is bit of a pain on the 4.7. Honestly, if you are buying an older vehicle, even if not for offroading, a WJ is not a bad choice. As stated above, there are some common problems that show up. If you do some wrenching yourself though, as I do, I think they are great. My $.02.
Attached Thumbnails
35518037_10211975764853998_5328877477332779008_o.jpg   35364026_10211975766014027_6328098663809679360_o.jpg   72350141_10215377414813121_3883990332236365824_o.jpg  
post #9 of 15 Old 10-17-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2005 WK 

Garage
Thanks for the replies everyone! Also, awesome WJs by the way. Driving it last night, I found out that the HVAC fan keeps going out randomly. So there is another thing. But for the price, the color, and how it runs and drives I cannot complain. I actually look forward to fixing it up.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-17-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2005 WK 

Garage
Here is my WJ btw. She is pretty
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5540.jpg  
post #11 of 15 Old 10-17-2019, 09:32 PM
IturrGuate1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneWK View Post
Hi all!

So the other day I finally got a WJ. After looking for a while (and after selling my WK - it will be missed) I found a 2000 Limited with the 4.7L V8. I have done some of my homework about these rigs but was wondering from a current perspective from owners (a lot of posts are from years ago) what I should look out for, general maintenance, and etc. ? The Jeep has around 215,000 miles on it but runs and drives great. It does have a small oil leak, which is the beginning of many projects for the Jeep. What are some things I should look out for at this age and mileage? How do the WJs perform off road (not anything crazy like rock crawling). I already have a list of things I want to do to my WJ.

I look forward to many more years with it, but want to keep it running strong.

Any help or comments are appreciated!

Thanks

(Feel free to post pictures of your WJs, I like seeing others as I think they are 1) super cool and 2) it gives me ideas)
Do you have photos of your New adquisition?? Welcome to headache club and so many smiles as well!

Enviado desde mi JKM-LX3 mediante Tapatalk
post #12 of 15 Old 10-17-2019, 09:33 PM
IturrGuate1975

Quote:
Here is my WJ btw. She is pretty
She's a beauty , I almost have the same. I have oil leaks as well..

Enviado desde mi JKM-LX3 mediante Tapatalk
post #13 of 15 Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 PM
Reech
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Driving it last night, I found out that the HVAC fan keeps going out randomly.
Chances are its the blower motor resistor. Common issue, easy fix. There is a chance its the motor itself, but that is less likely.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/blower_motor.htm
post #14 of 15 Old 10-18-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
dwayneWK
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reech View Post
Chances are its the blower motor resistor. Common issue, easy fix. There is a chance its the motor itself, but that is less likely.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/blower_motor.htm
Thank you! I found out last night that it is the resistor by playing with it. If you pull it in one direction, the blower comes back to life. Push it back, the blower dies.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-19-2019, 12:20 AM
Reech
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Thank you! I found out last night that it is the resistor by playing with it. If you pull it in one direction, the blower comes back to life. Push it back, the blower dies.
Awesome! Mind did the exact same thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in