New used jeep possibly dropped valveseat. - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By smokeyyank
  • 1 Post By xcaliber81

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-15-2021, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

New used jeep possibly dropped valveseat.

Found this 2002 laredo 4.7 select trac,. Has a 4 inch rough country lift with only about 1000 kms on the lift.

He paid a reputable shop to service the trans right before parking it and is including new bosch injectors as well as all kinds on non oem sensors. I did notice green coolant in and the cooland overflow looked empty also he claims it uses no oil.

He thinks it dropped a valveseat, if this is the case what is the repair for this?
I have an H.O engine that rod knocks but I think the heads are good can I put the H.O heads on the non H.O 4.7?

Or should I take the whole drivetrain, trans, transfer case, axles and lift as well as the driveshafts and send the rest?

I haven't bought it just yet I'm just inquiring about this possible valve seat issue 1st. I have some stuff to put into this jeep to possibly flip it like an overland interior.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2021, 09:47 AM
smokeyyank

If it did drop a valve seat it could be just replacing the head or a full rebuild if it damaged the piston. More than likely a full rebuild.
Bigrigr likes this.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2021, 10:18 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

It does appear that the HO can be used in place of a non HO head.

I worked on a 4.7 that dropped a valve. When I pulled the head, there was some piston damage. At that point, I bit the bullet and bought an $1800 long block for it (which came with a complete gasket set). Pull the head and it if just dropped the valve with no other apparent damage, slap a new head on it and be done.

Just be warned that the reason it probably dropped the valve was due to being overheated. Which means there might be residual damage that hasn't shown up yet.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2021, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

As much as it's tempting I might pass, however I am interested in those new bosch injectors. Are they the same from h.o and non h.o?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-18-2021, 02:07 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Yes, like Smokey says, If they ran it at all with the valve seat bouncing around in the cylinder you will need heads and piston at the very least. I am currently involved in a blown up HO rebuild for a friend, and the heads on his engine were toast. Upon my conclusions, it appears the HO heads and the non HO heads can be interchanged(even Smokey has done it by the way) with almost zero difference in the power capabilities. Injectors are different between the HO and the non-HO, but beware of the oversized aftermarket ones out there.
There are many a threads on this site and others that cannot get them to run right. I would think you factory HO injectors would be plenty good....FWIW

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #6 of 9 Old 06-18-2021, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Went and looked at this jeep again as I'm buying it for a different price and he's getting the lift back, has some more usable parts then I originally thought like the 242hd (mentioned already) but it has the hydro cooling fans which I thought was electric at first. Then he whips out some nice chrome Rouge wheels! Plus it does have the 545 rfe and it does work still. Plus a bunch of new sensors and injectors.
Attached Thumbnails
20210618_133553.jpg  
Jeepinpgh likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2021, 01:08 PM
Jeepinpgh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Went and looked at this jeep again as I'm buying it for a different price and he's getting the lift back, has some more usable parts then I originally thought like the 242hd (mentioned already) but it has the hydro cooling fans which I thought was electric at first. Then he whips out some nice chrome Rouge wheels! Plus it does have the 545 rfe and it does work still. Plus a bunch of new sensors and injectors.
I know a guy who just paid $800 just for those wheels (in like-new condition)
post #8 of 9 Old 06-20-2021, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

I actually had no idea these wheels came with the jeep at 1st im paying 500$ for the jeep. I am actually pretty excited now.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-20-2021, 01:12 PM
speednjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepinpgh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
I know a guy who just paid $800 just for those wheels (in like-new condition)
No ****? I couldn’t give a set I had away. I hated them. Prefer moabs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in