New Shoes - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-24-2020, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
CJREX
2004 WJ 

New Shoes

Time to upgrade.

The before pic: 255/70/17 Yokohama Geolanders with JK takeoffs, 2" BB with worn and saggy Upcountry springs.

New: Milestar Patagonia MT 265/70/17 on another set of JK takeoffs (I got a set of 5 wheels for $20! YeeHaw for an abundant supply of cheap yet nice looking wheels!)

These should provide a bit more traction...

After with 2" BDS springs and new isolators (BB removed) , the 265/70/17 tires clear with some rubbing on the fender liners in reverse.
It will soon be getting Goliath bumpers front and rear so that will open up the fenders a good bit more.

I have a friend who owns a tire shop and he runs these Milestars on his truck and raves about their off road performance while still being quiet on the road. I read a lot of online reviews and they all pretty much agreed. The caveat is tread life of around 25-30k miles.

Initial impressions are that they are no louder than the Yokohamas but I'm sure this will change once the wear gets into those side lugs.

I'm very happy with the stance the BDS springs provided. Even without the BB I gained almost 3/4 inch lift in front and 1 inch in the rear over the Upcountry/BB combo. I may get the spacers to level it out.

Now we're off to see Mr. Kolak about some shocks...

97Mule likes this.

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
2" BDS springs 265/70/17 Milestar Patagonia MT
Kolak exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-24-2020, 09:47 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Those look pretty aggressive. 5 wheels for $20!?!? That's the best deal ever on wheels. Someone must have really wanted them out of their garage!
post #3 of 16 Old 05-24-2020, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
CJREX
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
Those look pretty aggressive. 5 wheels for $20!?!? That's the best deal ever on wheels. Someone must have really wanted them out of their garage!
That was her exact quote, "I'm glad they're finally out of my garage"

They were off her son's Jeep and taking up space in her garage.

She told him if he didn't do something with them she was going to sell them.

He didn't and she did
Klarah523 likes this.

Kolak exhaust

post #4 of 16 Old 05-25-2020, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
CJREX
2004 WJ 

Another good find this weekend.

Got a set of 5 JK takeoffs with tires for $40 so now my camping trailer that I'm building matches the GC (it had the chrome Overland rims on it)

2 tires were shot, 2 tires were decent and 1 tire was only OK (it's destined to be the trailer spare)

Here's the decent tires (255/75/17) mounted on the trailer.

Kolak exhaust
post #5 of 16 Old 05-25-2020, 11:30 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

That looks sweet! Where do you live that you keep finding people that are nearly giving away Jeep wheels/tires?
post #6 of 16 Old 05-25-2020, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
CJREX
2004 WJ 

Atlanta, GA area.

Kolak exhaust
post #7 of 16 Old 05-25-2020, 02:08 PM
Spyder62

Looks very nice! Let me know if you sell your front bumper
post #8 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 10:58 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I had a set of those Milestar Patagonia's on my Fullsize Blazer in a 37". They were awesome offroad, and fairly quiet, but i couldn't get them to balance. I always had a slight vibration, and none of them were very round(spinning them up on the balancer showed they were egg shaped). But i ran them for over a year like that. I have had way worse tires in the past.

I thought I was doing good with a set of JK wheels mounted up with 4 new Federal coragia mud terrains for 400.00. But 5 wheels for 20 bucks? Thats pretty dang good. and they are in good shape it looks like....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #9 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 02:28 PM
MuloChico
2006 WK 

If I'm correct those are E rated tires. How do they ride? Are they very firm? I've been looking at them but I am hesitant to put tires on the WJ that are rated the same as the ones on my 3/4 ton p/u.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 02:39 PM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Man that looks nice! I like the stockers on the trailer. I'm going to start a Harbor Freight trailer build soon, and I'll put my old Silverblades on it. Just a camping gear rig, nothing fancy...although when my wife hears that phrase she knows it usually turns into fancy.

I'm up in Canton.

2004 WJ-4.0 I6-42RE-278K-2.5" BB-265/65/17 Toyo Open Country 2 AT-Quadratec Hardrock Wheels
post #11 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
CJREX
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuloChico View Post
If I'm correct those are E rated tires. How do they ride? Are they very firm? I've been looking at them but I am hesitant to put tires on the WJ that are rated the same as the ones on my 3/4 ton p/u.
Yes they are E rated, but so far I can't really tell much difference from the Yokohamas they replaced.

Right now I have 34psi in them which I think is probably still too much. I plan on doing the chalk test soon to get them at the right pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCantonGA View Post
Man that looks nice! I like the stockers on the trailer. I'm going to start a Harbor Freight trailer build soon, and I'll put my old Silverblades on it. Just a camping gear rig, nothing fancy...although when my wife hears that phrase she knows it usually turns into fancy.

I'm up in Canton.
I picked up this last set of wheels/tires right down the road from you off of Sixes Rd.

There are always cheap stockers on the local FB marketplace.

After all this CV is cooled off, we have to get the GA guys together for a ride.

Kolak exhaust
post #12 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 06:28 PM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
Yes they are E rated, but so far I can't really tell much difference from the Yokohamas they replaced.

Right now I have 34psi in them which I think is probably still too much. I plan on doing the chalk test soon to get them at the right pressure.

I picked up this last set of wheels/tires right down the road from you off of Sixes Rd.

There are always cheap stockers on the local FB marketplace.

After all this CV is cooled off, we have to get the GA guys together for a ride.
I think we have quite a few members in the area, it would great to get a ride together. I need to replace my front d/s, but I plan on doing that soon.

About the right psi in tires, I just installed a set of Toyo Open Country AT 265/65r17's (my second set of those). The shop had 38 psi in them when I picked it up. I lowered it to 36 and did the chalk test, and the wear was even. It seems like too much, but the chalk test did fine. Sound ok?
CJREX likes this.

2004 WJ-4.0 I6-42RE-278K-2.5" BB-265/65/17 Toyo Open Country 2 AT-Quadratec Hardrock Wheels
post #13 of 16 Old 05-27-2020, 03:19 AM
MuloChico
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJREX View Post

I have heard from several sources that the Milestar Patagonia's are actually supposed to run in the center 1/3 of the tire on pavement so the noise is lower. So that would make the chalk test a bit different on these. Sounds a bit odd to me, I'll have look into it more before purchase.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-27-2020, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
CJREX
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuloChico View Post
I have heard from several sources that the Milestar Patagonia's are actually supposed to run in the center 1/3 of the tire on pavement so the noise is lower. So that would make the chalk test a bit different on these. Sounds a bit odd to me, I'll have look into it more before purchase.
You are correct. Thanks!

I did some searching and found THIS

The Patagonia MT is discussed in the video up until the 5:30 mark then they get into Milestar tires for their trailer and truck.

It appears that I may be closer than I thought to the correct pressure.

While riding on the center crown explains how they are so quiet, I think it may also contribute to their soft ride and accurate steering.

Kolak exhaust
post #15 of 16 Old 05-28-2020, 08:55 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I had mine down to about 25 in the rear, and 28 in the front per the chalk/mud test procedure. Maybe that was why I couldnt keep the shakes away. But I wonder what that does to the tire wear overall? Seems you will wear out the center of the tire way earlier than the rest?

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in