New Member - and question from Australia - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Skaliwagz
2001 WJ 

New Member - and question from Australia

G'day guys and gals, I'm a new member and yup from Oz.

I have a 01 4.7 grand cherokee and have done some work to her and she is a beaut.
Any way long story short the head gaskets went so I've rebuilt her from the ground up all new parts sourced from mopar from rockauto and the states...as prices here in Aus will make any millionaire broke.

But now she won't start it cranks but no start or running. Everything has been tested and timing is correct. The obd2 gets power but won't read the pcm so I suspect bad pcm.

My question is .... is it possible to put a 05 4.7 pcm in if I have the skiM, locks ect?

I also get that the plugs to the pcms are different so I would need to research the pins diagrams to get the correct wires to corresponding pins on the 05 pcm ... is this possible or a waste of time?

01-04 pcms here are not common and to re-program costs far more than the module itself. Naturally I will do that if I have too I just thought i would pose the question about an newer pcm.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 07:53 AM
JGCJeep
2001 WJ 

My OBD2 won’t read the codes without the engine running.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 08:47 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

Jumping to conclusions without check anything....damn sheep shaggers....
lets back burner the PCM concerns and ideas.

When you turn the key to RUN/START will the CEL come on for @3 seconds then go out?
Did you try thr key on off trick to see if it retrieves codes?

Am I correct engine cranks no start?
What is fuel pressure - use a gauge....
When key moved to RUN - might need 2 people to check as it may only have 3seconds of power is there 12v
At injectors?
At coil?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 08:57 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

Jumping to conclusions without check anything....damn sheep shaggers....
lets back burner the PCM concerns and ideas.

When you turn the key to RUN/START will the CEL come on for @3 seconds then go out?
Did you try thr key on off trick to see if it retrieves codes?

Am I correct engine cranks no start?
What is fuel pressure - use a gauge....
When key moved to RUN - might need 2 people to check as it may only have 3seconds of power is there 12v
At injectors?
At coil?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 09:15 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Another member just had the same thing happen. Crank, but no start after a rebuild. Jeep PCM's are insanely sensitive to having all of the proper grounds. He was able to find the problem by following the advice in this thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-info-4192594/ He found a loose ground, fixed it and the Jeep fired right up. :-)
post #6 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 11:37 AM
oldRodney
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
Another member just had the same thing happen. Crank, but no start after a rebuild. Jeep PCM's are insanely sensitive to having all of the proper grounds. He was able to find the problem by following the advice in this thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...-info-4192594/ He found a loose ground, fixed it and the Jeep fired right up. :-)
welcome to the forum....
yes the fellow harry is referring to is ME... I had a young person help me with the install,
we had to replace one motor mount. you have to be extra careful with the "ground bolts" as they appear to be the same as the "motor mount" bolts. BUT in reality the ground bolts are shorter than the motor mount bolts... when they get mixed up thats when the problem starts.. the motor mount bolts when installed in the ground holes will bottom out and not fully cinch up the ground wires... I was having the exact issues you are having, all the gauges read zero and she would not fire up... once I located and fixed the ground issue, she runs beautifully ... it has been over a week and we have put more than 200 miles on her, always starts right up... check the G103 ground wires...[passenger side behind the 02 sensor]. there is a two wire connector and a thick, one wire attatched to the ground hole.... hopefully this info will help you out..
good luck my friend...
post #7 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 02:51 PM
LumaWJ
2000 WJ 

On the left side, above pcm there is very important plug, check if this is connected fight....

JGC 4,7l
Wrangler YJ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-19-2019, 06:13 PM
oldRodney
2001 WJ 

My question is .... is it possible to put a 05 4.7 pcm in if I have the skiM, locks ect?

the short and sweet answer is NO.....
post #9 of 13 Old 08-20-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Skaliwagz
2001 WJ 

Thank you all for your replies. I will give the suggestions a try definitely take a good look at the grounds again.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-20-2019, 07:59 PM
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

If the engine ran before you took it apart and you didn't short the battery in any way when you disconnected it then the PCM should be ok, there are grounds on both sides of the block, coil hold down bolts on 7 and 8 to firewall by brake booster and exhaust hanger on bell housing to side frame, but I don't think that one does much as mine was totally missing and everything still worked.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-21-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Skaliwagz
2001 WJ 

Hi guys that's for the advise.
I've finally gotten around to rechecking all the grounds again including the 2 on each side of the block.

I have cleaned them all with very fine sandpaper so now shiny on the eyelets and mounting points.

Unfortunately no change to my problem.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 04:45 AM
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

next step is to check whats missing, spark or fuel, then power and grounds to the PCM, if you don't have the FSM, there's an online one here.....
https://cardiagn.com/2000-jeep-grand...ring-diagrams/
a quick look and I think connector C102 could be the problem as thats where the coils and injectors get power from.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Barber613

Check the crank shaft sensor and make sure you plugged it back in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in